Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,362,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmi View Post
Hi Pathakss, I am moving to NJ too and facing a similar situation.And I am also from Mumbai.. But I have been in Ohio since the past few yrs, so it makes things a little better..
I am seriously considering Edison, looks great, good schools, easy commute to NYC and lots of Indians ..
Simmi, Edison will work for you. It is a closer comute.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathakss View Post
I was recommended Glen Ridge but atleast for my first year of move, I am planning to rent. There seems only 1 apt complex and my friend has left a couple of voice mails for them. Any one know of any rentals in this town? There is a new complex- Reserve there but beyond my budget at this time.
I ,too agree with Tahiti and your post. If you can find something in Glen Ridge or Upper Montclair you would be very happy. Both are upscale, diverse communities. Montclair itself is cultural, laid back kind of city with a lot of diversity. It is a very easy commute to Manhattan by train or bus from either. A couple I know used to drive into the city together, it took less than an hr. but this is going back quite a while. I am sure that is different now with traffic, security, parking and tolls, so mass transit is your best bet. If you like that vicinity, you might consider Cedar Grove or Verona, as well. Plenty of apts. in each of those towns. Best of Luck to you in your search.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
But I also tell you I paid $32,000 less than the non brick house I sold in Manalapan . Also much lower taxes, so not a snob at all. I have friends here with Million dollar houses that would be 2 mil in NJ.
why mention it at all on a NJ board?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why mention it at all on a NJ board?
To Show people that desire to relocate since this is a relocation board, that their's life beyond NJ.
We have people come on the TN board and ask if we wear shoes, Come on, Brentwood, TN a suburb of Nashville has more wealth than many towns in NJ. Do you think the Country Stars sing for free? They own some beautiful homes here. Alan Jackson has a home that you won't find in most of NJ.
It's beautiful here. Nothing sits flat in Middle Tn. You will find only rolling hills.
You won't find the architecture in NJ that you find here. I think the Use of Brick and stone would cost to much there. Even our highways have natural dividers. They have to carve out stone to build them as their is natural rock all over.
You won't find wetlands under a home here, its all rock they had to carve out.
In Manalapan and Marlboro you reach groundwater 6 feet under. That's why most houses there have no basements and the ones that do have water problems. There are not many dry basements there and if the house has crawl, it has water under it.I guess levit was smart, he built houses there on cement slab but his Marlboro homes he put in the underground oil tanks. What a mess is occuring in Momouth Heights, Marlboro.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,929,598 times
Default Enough

Honestly, Diane, who cares about TN (no offense) - this is NJ Board. We all get it - TN is heaven and NJ is hell. Enjoy! I wouldn't live there if they paid me. I love NJ and I love my "rich, snobby, overcrowded" town and I love my neighbors who speak different languages and come from all over the world, and I love that my children live 40 min away from the cultural capital of the world and they are getting the best education they can possibly get. And they will grow up knowing that there is more out there than Canada, US and Mexico. And they can look at the map and show me where India, Russia, China are - because that's where their friends are from.

Get it? There is a lot more to NJ than crowds, dirt and high taxes. I am sorry you missed the very essence of this beautiful state.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
Honestly, Diane, who cares about TN (no offense) - this is NJ Board. We all get it - TN is heaven and NJ is hell. Enjoy! I wouldn't live there if they paid me. I love NJ and I love my "rich, snobby, overcrowded" town and I love my neighbors who speak different languages and come from all over the world, and I love that my children live 40 min away from the cultural capital of the world and they are getting the best education they can possibly get. And they will grow up knowing that there is more out there than Canada, US and Mexico. And they can look at the map and show me where India, Russia, China are - because that's where their friends are from.

Get it? There is a lot more to NJ than crowds, dirt and high taxes. I am sorry you missed the very essence of this beautiful state.
Very nicely spoken.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,670,830 times
Quote:

notice how she paints the entire state with a broad brush (in her last post, she said it's hills where she lives, nothing sits "flat", i guess she's never been to Sussex, Hunterdon, Morris or Warren County), yet her feathers get ruffled when someone makes a stereotypical comment about TN?

i didn't realize people came to a NJ board for advice on TN relocation.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,468,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathakss View Post
Hi Simmi,
I have been hovering around the Edison apts info but dont seem to like much. Unfortunately for 2 reasons- my current apt in Mumbai is really good, so these dont stand up. Secondly, I spent many years of my past life in Boston suburbs so spoilt by New England greenery.
Oh well, if you do find a good complex, do let me know.

regards,
Sandeep
Sandeep, Forget my last post about edison. After personally visiting a few apts there, we changed our minds. They are crap after what we had back in Ohio. We saw a few apts in Millburn. They are good, easy commute to NY and good schools. The town is sweet. I can suggest a few names if you would like . What is your budget btw ?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,468,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Simmi, Edison will work for you. It is a closer comute.

Diane G
Yup ..but I didnt like the apts there. Also, most of the apts available immediately (we are looking to move in at the earliest) are not walking distance to the train station . The ones that are have a waiting list of 2 months and more. So we have dropped the idea of edison as of now..

Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you know nothing about Nashville. We have people here from all over the world. I have friends in my new neighbors league club from England, France, India,Iraq, Russia , you name it. Nashville is not the country town you imagine. It's a melting pot. Sounds like you have never left NJ and do not know the demograpics of other places. I'm an Italian -American and where I lived in NJ, I sometimes felt I was discriminated. I did not feel that in Long Island where I grew up.
I don't think NJ is beautiful at all. Manalapan has garbage on the street. You go to a shopping center there, papers all over the place. I had neighbors that didn't cut their grass, How tacky is that? Garden State? very questionable.
I'm a travel agent so I have traveled all over. I have a cruise booked to the Med next year leaving from Barcelona, Spain. My husband, daughter and I are going on this.
I hope y'all had fun comuting to NYC today. I heard it was a nightmare. My husband said a client told him 5 hours to drive in today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey