Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 25,012 times

Advertisements

I am South East Asian American from from out of state and Considering looking for a home in Sparta.
The landscape is beautiful. I am concerened about a few things about the schools, i hear there is lots of politics that get in the way. Do they have good extra curricular activities in the schools?
How is the shopping? are there stores such as target, TX MAX ? dollar stores ?
Malls in Sparta? or you haveto go to Rockaway close by?
How is Rt 23 in the mornings?
How is the downtown ? Is there a post office in the downtown?
Being Brown in color will i have a problem with Snobs in the community? or will i be welcomes if i have a friendly demeanor?
Spartans ..... please answer me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 PM

138 posts, read 509,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHSAN View Post
I am South East Asian American from from out of state and Considering looking for a home in Sparta.
The landscape is beautiful. I am concerened about a few things about the schools, i hear there is lots of politics that get in the way. Do they have good extra curricular activities in the schools?
How is the shopping? are there stores such as target, TX MAX ? dollar stores ?
Malls in Sparta? or you haveto go to Rockaway close by?
How is Rt 23 in the mornings?
How is the downtown ? Is there a post office in the downtown?
Being Brown in color will i have a problem with Snobs in the community? or will i be welcomes if i have a friendly demeanor?
Spartans ..... please answer me
You should NOT have a challenge in Sparta regarding race/color. Having a large number of friends who are either living or doing business there (Thai, Korean, AfricanAmerican) you shouldn't have a challenge if you're friendly. The shopping is excellent with a busy town center area and Stop N'Shop, plus farmers stands for your grocery shopping. You have the option of shopping at the Rockaway Mall 20 minutes away or Lafayette Village @10 minute ride which has some decent buys. There's also a lot of shopping options along Route 206 which isn't terribly far. Your post office is located downtown, along with a good number of other businesses and restaurants. Routes 23 and 15 are both a challenge in the morning. Where are you commuting to?

There are usually ongoing politics in every school district so don't let that be your deciding factor, especially since that could change with every Board of Ed election.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM

18 posts, read 55,297 times
I lived in Sparta in late 1977 for about 10 years. My parents continued to live in Sparta for another 10 years following that. Then they retired, sold their home and moved to Savannah, Georgia so your milage may vary regarding my response.

Sparta is a nice area and quite affluent in general. The schools in both Byram Township and Sparta are both quality (Lenape Valley High School, Sparta High School) schools. Both schools offer challenging cirriculum for their students and have higher educational standards than many other high schools I have compared them too. Both schools have good football team (or at least did when I lived there) and offer many after school and extra cirricular activities. When I lived there many of the residence were pro schools and often would vote positively for school budgets or bonds needed to maintain buildings.

I found Sparta and Bryram to be very white, but I didn't see any real issues with Asian people moving in. I think for the most part Sparta doesn't seem overly "friendly," but it isn't overly unfriendly either, more stand-offish I feel. Since I have lived there it has expanded and shopping has become more plentiful. Some of the surrounding towns such as Ogdensburg, Newton, Netcong and Stanhope have shopping places that you have mentioned. I don't think that there is a mall around, unless one has been built so Rockaway might be the nearest one.

Sparta has a nice downtown area too as does the Lake Mohawk area. Yes, there is a post office in the town, as well as police and fire. Last I heard they even had this new fangled thing called electricity .

Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 25,012 times
I cant tahnk you both for enough for the replies !It is very useful information , I am dying to move there and hope we can secure a good home with decent txes.Thanks!
I am hoping to commute to Lyndhurst and want to try out Rt 23 and local highways to Lyndhurst.
Thank you Thank you !

Old 03-20-2011, 05:29 PM

109 posts, read 477,557 times
I like Sparta!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHSAN View Post
I cant tahnk you both for enough for the replies !It is very useful information , I am dying to move there and hope we can secure a good home with decent txes.Thanks!
I am hoping to commute to Lyndhurst and want to try out Rt 23 and local highways to Lyndhurst.
Thank you Thank you !
Sorry to be a killjoy, but please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT move to Sparta with a commute to Lyndhurst. It will take years off your life. Sparta streets could be paved in gold, but you'll never see them with that commute.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:14 PM

18 posts, read 55,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Sorry to be a killjoy, but please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT move to Sparta with a commute to Lyndhurst. It will take years off your life. Sparta streets could be paved in gold, but you'll never see them with that commute.
Oh my. I didn't know you were planning on commuting from Sparta to Lyndhurst. I totally agree that the commute will take years off your life. Your commute to Lyndhurst will be killer, especially if you have to work normal business hours. You will spend hours on the road. You might want to consider the Montclair area, which has a nice area, nice schools, nice downtown, train to NYC, and is affluent and upscale. So much less of a commute to Lyndhurst too.

Renn

Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfairewench View Post
Oh my. I didn't know you were planning on commuting from Sparta to Lyndhurst. I totally agree that the commute will take years off your life. Your commute to Lyndhurst will be killer, especially if you have to work normal business hours. You will spend hours on the road. You might want to consider the Montclair area, which has a nice area, nice schools, nice downtown, train to NYC, and is affluent and upscale. So much less of a commute to Lyndhurst too.

Renn
Yup. That commute gives you worst of NYC bound traffic without the benefit of decent mass transit. It's a suicide mission!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
I agree with the other posters. The commute is not worth it, especially since Rt. 23 moves at a snail's pace during rush hour.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Sparta to Lyndhurst on a daily basis will lead to divorce and deconstruction. Unless you do not have to deal with rush hour 6AM-9AM and 4PM-7PM I would definitely NOT live in Sparta if you need to commute to Lyndhurst. That is a no go.

Non rush hour would be doable, but a bit long.

But if your commute includes the rush hour, consider towns that are much closer and cut down on your house expectations. Towns like New Milford, River Edge, etc are perfectly reasonable options and you can get to Lyndhurst and back quickly and retain sufficient energy and sanity to enjoy life at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey