Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM

284 posts, read 616,903 times

Advertisements

Someone recommended christina thivierge in an ealier post, but I like to see more options if possible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM

89 posts, read 444,765 times
You could contact your county's Bar Association and they can provide you with a referral.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
Someone recommended christina thivierge in an ealier post, but I like to see more options if possible...

There is also NJ Protection and Advocacy, the state designated protection and advocacy system for individuals with disabilities. It is state/federally funded, so I believe services are free or at a greatly reduced rate. Just checked their website and it appears the just recently changed their name to Disability Rights, NJ Disability Rights New Jersey Home Page
I know that special education rights is one of their targeted priorities. They have a long track record in this field and are extremely knowledgeable on the subject and applicable laws. Great history of obtaining good results. I have a friend who contacted them and as soon as NJ P & A got involved the school district sure changed their response and attitude. They were able to negotiate a good outcome quite quickly. IMHO definitely worth making a call and going through their intake process.

You might also want to contact SPAN SPAN they have some great resources for advocacy as well.

Best of luck!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

284 posts, read 616,903 times
thanks for the response.

However, I am not too optimistic with the referral service as it is no more than opening a phone book. It is not that I do not have a long list of special ed attorneyes, I was hopiing to get a referral from someone who has first hand experiences. I do understand that not all attorneys are good.

I am going to give Disability Rights a call, but I am also not optimistic, because, due to the limited resources, most of the public agencies will only accept cases that have a wider impact or for low income families. I will update if I get some positive results. In my case, I doubt my sd would make any changes if it were not a law suit hanging behind their heads.

I have my opinion with SPAN and I will just leave it at this.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 AM

89 posts, read 444,765 times
It's a little more than opening a phone book, most county bar associations require additional qualification criteria from attorneys they refer. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey