Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,400 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am sorry to ask such a simple type question but can anyone recommend an honest, reasonably priced mechanic familiar with the new car's computer systems?
I have a Toyota Rav 4 and during this last freezing winter some of my dashboard lights went on. I just need my computer re set and I do not want to go to a dealer that may or may not fabricate all these problems with the car that may not be true.
I have been driving a number of months now with these lights on. I suspect that when I took the car to the Western New York area that secondary to low freezing temps it somehow effected the computer. I have googled this and it seems others have had the same concerns.
However I am now staying temp in Secaucas, NJ due to work and I do not know anyone reputable to go too.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Any mechanic can read the diagnostic codes that are tripped by the lights. In fact, you can go to any Autozone and they will read the codes for free, let you know what they are and reset them if necessary. By going this route, you will at least have an idea what the codes are and whether or not they are something that may need further attention.

Out of curiosity, what lights are on? There are five that I can think of off the top of my head and those would be the check engine light, ABS light, tire pressure monitor light (depends on year), aribag light and washer fluid light.

Generally, those lights aren't coming on unless there is an actual issue or the cars ECM has an error.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM

573 posts, read 971,014 times
There is an honest mechanic in NJ? I thought that was a myth.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Actually there are some, most even, honest mehanics, but as suggested the large chain auto parts stores can read those computer errors free with a hand held scanner that connects to your car then give you a printout so you have an idea of what's going on. On many cars you can reset the thing by disconnecting the battery for a minute or so. Then if there is still a problemthe lights will come back on to store some fault codes.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
www.reycoauto.com - Fairview, NJ...probably 15 min north of where you are

Check out their google reviews. I've been going to them for several years when I had to move away from my local trusted shop on Long Island.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I just remembered, if the car is somewhat new, the Fed Gubbermint requires automakers to warranty emissions related problems for a certain number of years, here it is, 2 years/20k miles on all things and 8 years/80k miles on ceertain emissions parts :

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Stop by S & S Auto Inc
1620 Paterson Plank Rd,
Secaucus, NJ 07094
(201) 601-5830 and talk to Artie.

His shop is almost at the end of Paterson Plank Rd. just before the river on the right side of the road.

He's been around for many years and while maybe not the cheapest, his work is very good.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 AM

Wow. Thanks Everyone. Let's see the lights that are on the dash board are: VSC, Brake, ABG, and that little car sliding light. I have been driving in and out of Manhattan every day with them on so I know the car is working.
Trust me if I had the money earlier and if I knew where to go I would have done it long ago.
I do know about Auto Zones but when you are not from an area you don't know where to go. (I don't remember seeing any ).
I will call S&S auto !
Thanks for the head's up!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 AM

Oh I will call Reyco as well! Thanks Mgt04!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Wow. Thanks Everyone. Let's see the lights that are on the dash board are: VSC, Brake, ABG, and that little car sliding light. I have been driving in and out of Manhattan every day with them on so I know the car is working.
Trust me if I had the money earlier and if I knew where to go I would have done it long ago.
I do know about Auto Zones but when you are not from an area you don't know where to go. (I don't remember seeing any ).
I will call S&S auto !
Thanks for the head's up!
All of those lights are tied together and most likely resulted from an ABS fault which could be anything from a sensor to the ECM. The sliding light and VSC are the stability and traction control system, which depend on the ABS system to work. I'm guessing the "ABG" is actually "ABS", that and the brake light being on indicate a fault in the ABS system.

Basically right now you are driving without anti-lock brakes, stability and traction control. While this won't hurt the car, those systems also won't be available to you in case of a panic stop or emergency situations. Personally, I would skip the local mechanic and take it to the dealer to get it taken care of as there are multiple reasons why those lights could be on and they will be able to better diagnose and correct them. These are also some rather critical safety systems, so I wouldn't leave it to chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey