Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
As I noted above, I understand if the couple work for different employers; but one would think that there would be something in place that would not permit spouses working for the same same school district to even be able to select a plan, much less get compensated for not selecting one. If one picks a family plan, what benefit is there for each to select a plan?

I guess my biggest surprise was with the $5K incentive. In today's fiscal crisis, I would think the incentive would be considerably lower; but then again, it is a perceived entitlement that will not be give up without a fight.

I know the federal government does not offer incentives for not selecting a plan, but than again, federal employees have an incentive not to select a plan; they pay 30% of plan costs.
because, if each selected an individual plan, any caps on coverage would apply to each individually, rather than combined. often, when you add a spouse to your plan at work, your benefits don't double, and neither does your cost. it's cheaper for the employer to have you both on one plan as a "Family" rather than each select individual. it's also worse for you. this is why many people each take individual plans from both respective employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,131,011 times
I honestly don't think it is much a problem if one spouse decided not to take it. The problem I see is their health plan is subsidize at our expenses.

If they pay what private sector pay, then I don't have any problem.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I honestly don't think it is much a problem if one spouse decided not to take it. The problem I see is their health plan is subsidize at our expenses.

If they pay what private sector pay, then I don't have any problem.
some private sector employees get much sweeter health benefits. it depends on the company. this whole public vs private debate is getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: