Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM

181 posts, read 301,784 times

Advertisements

If you were a dictator who alone decided what to do with this land, what would you do?

Here's an article about the area

Hudson Reporter - Development near the border Holland Tunnel region slowly starts to see new activity

Twin towers planned for the NE corner east of Washington Blvd.:

Hudson Reporter - A 40 story building for Newport Planning Board approves 790 unit project

Here is what the area looks like now. As you can see, it is hodgepodge, fragmented, and underdeveloped:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
I would first take out those big box stores like target and the plaza with best buy and construct maybe 1 high rise and a bunch of mid-rise building, in similar fashion to the imposing building right next to the grove station. The empty lots between Coles and Jersey ave would all be mostly mid-rise that doesn't have garages and there would be no need for garages since on-street parking is available easily. The furthest end of that section i would at least add a club or lounge for people to actually come party since there are much late night venues in the city and it would still be in a section that wouldn't bother too many people.

Within that same area could be a light rail extension that has a stop right on 17th street, and also connects to line that follows 18th eventually following the same line as the Tonnelle ave-Westside line. Newport and since there is already an existing rail line that leads to J.sq, this same line can help service people to and from both sections.

Most of the mid-rises would have stores fronts along Wash Blvd and 17th st buildins. Wash blvd would be narrowed because some drivers go too fast along that section. The lot adjacent to the present Target is already slated to be high-rise towers and i wouldn't change that, other than the asethetics. The high rises wouldn't have garages neither since i opposed those ugly looking things.

The small "bridge" that is adjacent to 16th and is connected to the Lackawanna Center would be turned into a public walk-way, similar to the High Line in ny. The section of the center that is connected to the bridge would have some more store fronts, maybe a restaurant or two with a few tables outside for anyone who wants to.

The projects would be demolished and 15th street would be completed entirely from Coles to Wash Blvd. Monmouth would also be extended from 13th to hoboken ave.

This is all a quick run down of what I WOULD DO, given i didn't have the restrictions that the current city has concerning the ordinances and districting. Of course it isn't really detailed well and if i am to type it all out in detail i might as well just use to submit to some developers in hopes they like it. That part of Jc has so much potential to be a great section and most of what i would do is try to make it completely opposite of what Newport is. I feel Newport is so generic and has no true feelings to it. The garages that keep going up with the development contributes to the city still not feeling "walkable", even though it is one of the densest cities in America, IMO.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM

The big box stores are fine, but they should be built to the lot lines with residential towers on top, and the parking in garages (preferably underground beneath the stores). In such a densely populated city (both JC and Hoboken), one-story stand alone big box stores with huge surface parking lots are a big waste of space. They could actually add several more big box stores in addition to thousands of residential units if they did as I suggest.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 AM

I guess i can agree with having them underground, that would save up huge amounts of space. I have always found those garages to be stupid and ugly, in case the parking garage at 50 Columbus. The building itself is so small and the rest of the block is the garage, though it does have some retail so i guess it isn't to bad. But i still feel that garages defeat the purpose of making the area "walkable".

I mean if people have the option of driving because they don't have to worry about parking they will choose that, as opposed to "being forced" to use PT and having to walk. As a side effect, less store fronts and less reason for people to shop and stay in the city.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 AM

This is actually something i found that is pretty close to what i was thinking when i envisioned what i would do. This is a pretty good example of a low to mid-rise size building that would create a "walkable" density and would eliminate any garages and have on street parking. Maybe add a few stores fronts. This of course is for the empty lots by Coles st. The buildings closer to to Newport would be different and slightly taller with some high rises. Plus, not having garages and all those amenities that so many of the newer development has, rent could possibly be cheaper so the "average" person can actually live in downtown and not worry about breaking the bank.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Build High Rises in the corner which is planned , build Dense condos elsewhere which is planned. Build LRT form Hoboken to Journal SQ , via the old ROW....JC really needs to make the city more dense and walkable.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Build nuffin, I would turn it all green and till the soil. You can't keep building everywhere. People deserve a break, esp if they live in a built up area.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Build nuffin, I would turn it all green and till the soil. You can't keep building everywhere. People deserve a break, esp if they live in a built up area.
That area needs to be transformed , but there are other areas in the state and region that need to stop growing...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
What would the point of a "break" between wideass 14th and the rail lines be though? It's not like anyone would go out of there way to get there to "relax".

Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
???? Why build nothing at all? JC may be built up but there is still plenty that can be done with this city and still land that can be built. Leaving that area with nothing makes no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey