Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM

284 posts, read 616,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Do you deny what I've written about NJ's academic excellence? Who do you think is behind the good test scores? The tooth fairy?
I think teachers have very little to do with the academic excellence.
If they are really good, why don't we send them to teach in Newark. Bottom line, I thought I already read that the problem was due to the parents. I just can't see teachers can take credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
He's got a bigger mouth and is ruder than most. I'm not sure that qualifies as "best." How far have your taxes gone down with his "lunch box"...i mean, "tool box"? He's a big hit in Iowa, not as much here.
Here in NJ, we like to call people like him, honest and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Eleanora1,

1. Teachers are not heroes. This is rhetoric. It's actually pretty embarrassing rhetoric. Teachers are just doing a job like everyone else. This whole attitude that teachers are heroes and martyrs and the saviors of all the precious little children is, well, childish. PLENTY of people have "hard" jobs. I don't see garbage men, doctors, or air traffic controllers going around calling themselves heroes. Is it because you work with children? I don't see pediatricians going around calling themselves heroes.

2. The fact that Christie sends his kids to private school is completely irrelevant. What does it matter that Christie sends his kids to private school...or if he home schools them, or ships them off to a military academy, or sends them to clown school? Do you really think that his opinion about the teacher's union or the budget crisis would be any different if his kids did, in fact, attend public schools? What difference would that make? You posted that "Christie sends his kids to Catholic school while criticizing public school teachers." This is a complete fabrication on top of the irrelevant Catholic school comment. Again, as has been pointed out by multiple people here, Christie is not criticizing teachers, he is criticizing your union.

3. Mary Pat Christie's 6-figure salary for being a vice president at Cantor Fitzgerald is not publicly funded. When we pay our exorbitant property taxes every quarter, a huge percentage of it doesn't go towards Mary Pat Christie's salary. We also do not pay for her health insurance, health insurance for her entire family, her pension, and benefits for her and her family for life. So, while I question whether ANYBODY is worth $500,000 a year (or $1 million dollars a year, if you want to talk about corporate and even charity CEOs, or hundreds of millions if you want to look at sports stars, movie stars and rappers), at the end of the day...it's none of my, or your, business what any of those people in the private sector make because it's not coming out of my, or your, pocket. Saying, "Oh, well, Christie's wife makes $500,000 and the average teacher only makes $60,000!" is ridiculous. The reason people complain about the money poured into the public education system (i.e. teacher benefits, pensions) is because it is PUBLICLY funded, i.e., we pay for it. And when we complain about those issues, we are not criticizing teachers and the work that they do. We are merely asking you to join us in the real world of reality where people have to help pay for their benefits, and a LOT more than the paltry 1.5% that Christie was asking you to contribute.

4. Making this a Republican vs. Teachers issue, or a Republicans vs. Democrats issue is a little bit naive, to put it gently. Republicans are against teachers? Really? Come on. You are, again, resorting to rhetoric, and polarizing rhetoric at that. It is unhelpful, unproductive, UNTRUE, and it distracts from the real issues.

5. Even WITHOUT this lousy economy and the catastrophic budget crisis, the teacher benefit/pension system needs to be completely overhauled. Tenure needs to be thrown out. The union, which is arguably the biggest organized crime syndicate in NJ, needs to be disbanded. A salary scale, and SALARY CAPS need to be put in place. And again, before you start crowing about how teachers only make $60,000 a year, WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM. We are talking about the ones making $100,000+ a year. An elementary school librarian or gym teacher should not be making $100,000 a year just because they haven't moved from that same position for 40 years. We also need to take a closer look at all the school administrators who make $200,000+ a year. A superintendent of a school district should not make more money than the governor of an entire state of the union.

6. If we could actually make any of these things happen, less teachers would have to be laid off, less programs cut, teachers wouldn't have to use their own personal money for school supplies, etc. etc. We don't want teachers to be laid off. We don't want you to go to Staples with your $60,000 a year salary to buy paper, writing utensils and chalk. But why do you think stuff like that has to happen? (Hint: look at #5 above.)

Can't rep this enough!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Real estate agents should be held responsible for all the people they lured into homes that they couldn't afford.
You should be held responsible for side tracking every thread a RE agent happens to post in. Take your bitter vendetta someplace else already.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM

327 posts, read 881,564 times
Quote:
He's got a bigger mouth and is ruder than most.
yeh there's a vid for that too mr. sensitive

YouTube - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie calls Star-Ledger columnist thin-skinned

Quote:
How far have your taxes gone down with his "lunch box"...i mean, "tool box"?
fat jokes. original.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM

284 posts, read 616,712 times
Quote:
He's got a bigger mouth and is ruder than most. I'm not sure that qualifies as "best." How far have your taxes gone down with his "lunch box"...i mean, "tool box"? He's a big hit in Iowa, not as much here.
I can't imagine how high it will go without him....

Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Thats an old video , to be honest i still don't get why everybody likes Christie? Hes given away Hundreds of Millions to Private companies that are failing and hes only offered up patches for the many issues that plaque this state.... Intill he offers up Long Term solutions and stops giving out $$$ to Private companies i won't like the guy.....

Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats an old video , to be honest i still don't get why everybody likes Christie? Hes given away Hundreds of Millions to Private companies that are failing and hes only offered up patches for the many issues that plaque this state.... Intill he offers up Long Term solutions and stops giving out $$$ to Private companies i won't like the guy.....

I disagree with you on the long vs short term thing. Most of the problem extends from the black hole that the teachers union it is, and because they refuse to compromise, we're pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place. He's trying to get us to consolidate are have less redundancies, but our VERY strong sense of home/self rule (going back to the Dutch and even the Lenapi) is going to to put up a VERY large resistance to such measures. I'm okay with the private companies that he's given cash to, because they are being forced to give part of their income back to the state. Plus, it's helping to spur jobs. Honestly, if there's anything we should be pouring money into, it's getting industry back into NJ. If we can get back our industrial backbone (while trying to develop smartly, returning to the cities and focusing on denser housing and VERY walkable communities), we'll have the strongest economy in the state.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You should be held responsible for side tracking every thread a RE agent happens to post in. Take your bitter vendetta someplace else already.
This.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 AM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
Quote:
I'm insulting her profession.
From the first line of your post:

His wife is a completely useless investment banker who produces nothing and his combined family income as a result of her useless work is about 600k.

Nah, it's not personal.....

Quote:
Why is okay to insult teachers but not okay to insult someone who probably earns at least five times what they do? Christie has steadfastly defending the upper income earners while attacking ordinary working class people. His own wife is banker. Her income deserves to be on the table if we're going to discuss people who get publically funded money.
Putting aside that Mrs. Christie does NOT get "publicly funded money" - I look forward to you playing with the semantics - why don't we insult EVERYONE who outearns even one teacher?

Care to put YOUR salary up here as example A? Or, should we not insult you, too?

Quote:
Why is one okay and not the other?
Neither is, but you seem to be an all or nothing type, so as soon as you post your 2010 tax return, we can all judge you as well,

Quote:
Your post makes very little sense.
Ahh, irony......

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
yeh there's a vid for that too mr. sensitive

YouTube - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie calls Star-Ledger columnist thin-skinned

fat jokes. original.
The more I see of him, the more I like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey