Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM

15 posts, read 124,314 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a photographer that's interested in photographing abandoned buildings. I'd really appreciate if anyone can suggest a few places.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times
weirdnj.com - HOME
you can check that out. they have some pretty good places although alot are either just about gone or illegal to get into.
also another weird place i heard of but not been to is Centralia pa.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
greystone park pyschiatric hospital, its off limits and if a cop sees ur car there to long u may be in trouble, its best not to park right up at the building as ur in plain view. best time to sneak in is early morning after dawn, sneak in from the back of it, u need to go under a fense, there's a door that's been torn open, but i'm warning u can get lost in there and it is very dark. but it puts many weirdnj spots to shame and there's some good pictures to be taken. me n my gf went there last summer, u can spend a good hour in there walking around with the camera, but if u have allergies it may get to u, it was the largest building complex in america before the pentagon was built or something like that

another is the army prison on sandy hook island

in asbury park, the theater much of which is abandoned

there's gingerbread castle, but it takes a determined trespasser with rope to sneak into that one from the back between the nextdoor factory, many people just stop outside to look at it, its small

there's a prison in capemay used during the civil war off the delaware bay but i never been to it

u have to be careful though, theyre prohibbed also because they're dangerous and the floor could fall in or something like that

Last edited by dhanu86; 03-31-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
I would not go into an abandoned Buildings , maybe Abandoned Highways and Railways....but buildings are too dangerous...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
RE: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital...

I read that the cops do foot patrols INSIDE the building too. Have no idea whether that's true or if it's just a rumor. There is a pretty heavy police presence there whether they do or not...there is always a cop driving up or down Central Ave. Plus, the hospital staff from the new Greystone building take their breaks at the old abandoned campus...you always see them parked in their cars smoking cigs and listening to the radio. I have a feeling that if they see people trespass, they tip the cops off. Anyways, does anybody know what's up with old Greystone? I use the 5K course there sometimes and when I get close to the old building, I see lights on in there sometimes.

To the OP:

Blairsden Estate in Peapack, NJ. No way in hell you are getting inside, but just walking around the grounds is an experience in itself. Not sure how heavily guarded it is now...supposedly, it's a lot more. When I was in college we got chased off the grounds by the cops. Look it up in "Weird, NJ" and read about the urban legends surrounding this estate. It'll make your exploration that much more interesting.

Also, Overbrook Asylum in Cedar Grove, NJ (had a thread on it here a while ago: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...dar-grove.html )

Walpack Center, NJ (this is a ghost town)
Feltville Historic District (inside the Watchung Reservation), Union County, NJ (another ghost town)

Actually, NJ has quite a few ghost towns. I think there are some good ones in the pine barrens.

Bennett School For Girls, aka Bennett College in Millbrook, NY

North Brother Island (in the East River between the Bronx and Riker's Island)...you'll need a kayak or something.

General note: If you are interested in photography of abandoned structures, browse the urbex (urban exploration) websites.

Also, you might be interested in this blog:

Abandoned Places and Urban Exploration (Page 1 of 8)

The blogger/photographer is Tom Kirsch, aka, 'Mr. Motts'. Most of the abandoned locations he photographs are in the northeast. For the purposes of protection and preservation he uses pseudonyms for some of the locations.

Good luck, have fun, be respectful of the locations and BE CAREFUL...and I'm not just talking about the cops who're only trying to do their job...some of these buildings are old as dirt and falling apart. You can fall through a floor, there's asbestos and chemical hazards, etc. etc.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I'm thinkin if'n I was going to lurk around the old buildings of Greystone, I might ask first, avoiding getting into any troubles. They have their own PD & FD so you could try. Someone recently filmed a movie or show there, but I guess that might involve permits, fees, etc, just guessing, not sure.

Also I'm thinking of this old power plant in J City that looked kind of abandoned and wild with trees growing out of it, unless its been redone.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
Sandy Hook has some cool old bunkers- supposedly haunted but I've yet to see the ghost. Google Wheeler Antabanez. He's your man for everything abandoned.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
You should check out the abandoned village of Feltville NJ. Near Watchung reservation.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
I'm presuming you know the ropes on trespassing and notification of authorities prior to a photo shoot so I'm not going to get into that part.

In terms of abandoned buildings, the Weird NJ site is definitely a good option. You may want to also check out this site: http://home.comcast.net/~tecsite/Index/abandon.htm

Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 PM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
there are plenty of abandon buildings still in JC. i don't know if you want factory type buildings, apartments, or house type but you will find More of the latter in JC and a few factories. There is actually an old PA railroad terminal on Tonelle ave, right across where an old McDonald use to be in north bergen but it is below the street. you can see it but i wouldnt know how to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey