Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,955 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, i have been going through a situation and im just looking for a little advice and a couple answers to my questions. I have rented an apartment from sept 10 to april 11 in morris county, NJ.The "landlord" Lives in the upstairs of the house, It was a basement apartment. There was no security and no lease. The landlord did not tell us about the torrental flooding and the fact that the apartment is in many many violations and was no constructed legally with the correct permits. She decided to treat me very bad the last time it flooded and refused to rectify the situation, so i called the zoning board. They said it was an illegal apartment. It fails fire code on many levels and it was no habitable. I left on the 30th because she threated and harrassed me when zoning said she was in violation. Now besides the fact she is harrassing and threatening me, what are my rights to get relocation fees? Can i get the rent money i paid to her back? i have no where to go and moved in with my girlfriends parents for a week or so but i dont have the money to move in somewhere else. Can i sue this lady. i am totally lost in this whole situation..sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,119,806 times
What's the problem? You paid rent. You got a place to live. Move on and find a new place. Be happy you don't have to worry about losing a security deposit.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,030,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw2009 View Post
Hello everyone, i have been going through a situation and im just looking for a little advice and a couple answers to my questions. I have rented an apartment from sept 10 to april 11 in morris county, NJ.The "landlord" Lives in the upstairs of the house, It was a basement apartment. There was no security and no lease. The landlord did not tell us about the torrental flooding and the fact that the apartment is in many many violations and was no constructed legally with the correct permits. She decided to treat me very bad the last time it flooded and refused to rectify the situation, so i called the zoning board. They said it was an illegal apartment. It fails fire code on many levels and it was no habitable. I left on the 30th because she threated and harrassed me when zoning said she was in violation. Now besides the fact she is harrassing and threatening me, what are my rights to get relocation fees? Can i get the rent money i paid to her back? i have no where to go and moved in with my girlfriends parents for a week or so but i dont have the money to move in somewhere else. Can i sue this lady. i am totally lost in this whole situation..sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Well, you already ratted her out to the town so I think you already got your pound of flesh. Why don't you just move on? Your relationship with her is now over, I would stop looking for ways to screw her out of money that you have no right to. Next time rent a legal apartment from a real landlord. You are as much at fault as she is.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,357 times
Yeah, I think quietly walking away is the best move. Calling the zoning board was pretty gutsy, but just call it even now and walk.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,955 times
Zoning deemed it UNSAFE! now i had to vacate either way.i wish you dip****s would see what its like in someone elses situation. if you knew what this lady was doing then it would be a different story. only if you know.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,357 times
I think we understand the story as you wrote it. I'm not saying what she did was right, it wasn't, on many levels. I just think it's in your best interest to walk away.

Personally, I think calling the zoning board was gutsy. I probably wouldn't have done that, but I don't think it's wrong that you did.

If you would like to sue her, that is your choice of course, and you should get a lawyer and run the case by them.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 AM

9,318 posts, read 16,652,977 times
Unfortunately I doubt if you have any recourse as far as getting your money back, with no lease or written document. Not sure what she is threatening and harrassing you about, but you should probably go to police and they can advise you. At this point you might try small claims court, but legally I am not sure you have a case especially without documentation.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 AM

63 posts, read 115,899 times
If you have proof that you paid rent with a check or money order you can sue her for all of the rent you paid plus relocation cost.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,662,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinlady View Post
If you have proof that you paid rent with a check or money order you can sue her for all of the rent you paid plus relocation cost.
You can always sue for whatever you want, chances are you will lose even given the circumstances. The law is the law and requires legal documentation.

The only chance you have at anything is taking this up with Judge Judy when she gets out of the hospital.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM

19,111 posts, read 25,299,982 times
Winning a lawsuit requires that you come to court "with clean hands". Unfortunately, the OP does not have totally clean hands in this battle of the wills.

While I empathize with him, I think that his best course of action is as follows:
  • Walk away from the confrontation with the landlord.
  • Save your money for your next apartment.
  • Make sure that your next rental is a legally-constituted apartment, and be sure to sign a lease specifying all terms of the rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: