Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 AM

40 posts, read 145,250 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we are doing some due diligence trying to figure out which town in Bergen County (or Westchester) is best for us. One important aspect in our search is certainly commute, and my husband has to go to midtown Manhattan every day (8-7 are his general hours, so he'd be riding in the 7am timeframe, and back in the 7pm timeframe).

A colleague told him about a 35 min bus (Coachusa) into Port Authority, but reading this forum the general consensus is that the commute into the city is much longer. So is this bus time not really accurate? Would it typically take much longer?

Also, for those who know of these buses, is there parking near them (I know there are two drops)? Or is parking pretty much out of the question? I'm just wondering if there is a "catch".

Finally, can anyone give pointers into other towns in NJ that can get you into the city (midtown) in 30-40 minutes, that still have really good schools?

(We'd far prefer NJ to Westchester, but the commute from Westchester seems to be much better. But I'm just wondering if there is something I don't know...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U510545 View Post
Hi all, we are doing some due diligence trying to figure out which town in Bergen County (or Westchester) is best for us. One important aspect in our search is certainly commute, and my husband has to go to midtown Manhattan every day (8-7 are his general hours, so he'd be riding in the 7am timeframe, and back in the 7pm timeframe).

A colleague told him about a 35 min bus (Coachusa) into Port Authority, but reading this forum the general consensus is that the commute into the city is much longer. So is this bus time not really accurate? Would it typically take much longer?

Also, for those who know of these buses, is there parking near them (I know there are two drops)? Or is parking pretty much out of the question? I'm just wondering if there is a "catch".

Finally, can anyone give pointers into other towns in NJ that can get you into the city (midtown) in 30-40 minutes, that still have really good schools?

(We'd far prefer NJ to Westchester, but the commute from Westchester seems to be much better. But I'm just wondering if there is something I don't know...)
I don't know commute from that Ridgewood specifically so my comments are generally about bus commute and parking situation. In my experience, most do not have dedicated parking nearby, even the ones in counties further out. If you need to find parking spot then you are probably looking at parking in nearby residential area or just leave it in some other company's commercial lot. But depending on what town, this isn't bad at all.

That said commute time is hard to nail down but on average I would say 30minute from Ridgewood is not accurate and it's definitely not door to door. 30 minute is probably the fastest they can get in from that pickup spot to port authority when the conditions are all lined up. Meaning no traffic on the roads, no accident or traffic jam in tunnel, no weather conditions. Which isn't typical, it's more probably safe to say 40-45 min on average.

To give you an example my wife commutes to NYC from Edgewater by bus and it takes her normally on average 45 min to get to port authority. When all the conditions are perfect, she can get there in 25-30 min.

Lastly there's lot of towns that have good schools within 30-40 min range of NYC port authority. Number of those type of towns increase if you are willing to a whole heck of a lot for ferry. I'll list the towns I know have good public school district in Bergen county that's 30-40min range.

Leonia, Fort lee, Edgewater.

Further out if you go beyond and hit 50min range you have choices like Morristown, Denville, Montclaire but this is pretty darn far and your husband is probably looking at 3 hour commute roundtrip in total door to door.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
What does the schedule say?

It is the Park and Ride on 17?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
if so then yes!!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U510545 View Post

There is no 35 minute bus from Ridgewood to Midtown during the rush. An hour is more like it on most days.

If you need a short commute and the best rated schools, Millburn-Short Hills provides that combination. Possibly Summit or Tenafly also. Beyond that, it is mostly an hour or more from almost anyplace in northern New Jersey. Westchester will provide you with more flexibility in this regard.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM

Looking at the schedule on CoachUSA from the Park and Ride in Ridgewood, yes, it's 30 minutes, well, 34 minutes.

(636 AM getting in at 710).

You would also have to factor in driving to the PnR and call and see how the parking works there. There is a big lot, I"m just not sure how it fills up.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Ridgewood to Port Authority? Only if the bus was going 90 MPH with no traffic. I'd say more like an hour to hour & 15 minutes

Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Ridgewood to Port Authority? Only if the bus was going 90 MPH with no traffic. I'd say more like an hour to hour & 15 minutes
I dunno. Go read the bus schedule and call Coach USA if you don't believe me.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I dunno. Go read the bus schedule and call Coach USA if you don't believe me.
Just based on experience it sometimes takes 20 minutes to get through the tunnel and up the ramps to P.A. to your gate. It's possible, just not likely.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM

40 posts, read 145,250 times
Thanks for the feedback. The 35 minutes that I suggested above were simply for the bus ride itself- not the rest of the commute. And I also drew the timings right from the Coachusa website. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience commuting on this or a similar short line bus and are willing to comment based on that experience- thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey