Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not necessarily. From time to time pension systems have offered retirement incentive packages. Usually you get a month for each year of service up to a certain limit, and you can retire earlier than usual but take a penalty for each year underneath the normal retirement age. Perhaps the MIL was one of those.
True. The company I worked for had a "rule of 80" i.e. your age plus years worked and you could retire. So if I was 50 and had 30 years with the company I would be eligible for early retirement. There would have been a reduction in my pension amount but I could still collect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Interesting ruling about the states responsibility to pay out the promised pensions.

N.J. top court upholds lower court's ruling saying state not mandated to pay full teacher pensions | NJ.com

Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
And that's just the teachers. The total unfunded liability for PERS, teachers, police & firemen is 145 Billion dollars.

There are only 3 million households in the state. That means each household owes about $50,000, on top of all their current tax liability to keep every other service going. This is just to bring the pension funds up to funded levels at this moment in time.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become teachers, but now serve as critics of that profession?
Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become politicians, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become policemen, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become professional football coaches, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become fast-food workers, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Etc.

So, in your myopic view, only TEACHERS can criticize teachers?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Deserve. Don't deserve. Does it really matter when there will be no mony to pay it out? Does it suck that people were promised something that some of them won't get? Sure. Just like the employees of Enron who had their retirement fund wiped out. Life sucks and isn't fair.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become politicians, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become policemen, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become professional football coaches, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Can anyone give us the other reasons why thousands more people did not desire to become fast-food workers, but now serve as critics of that profession?

Etc.

I'm sorry that my intent of my comment evaded you.
The thread was about teachers and their pension rights, not about other professions.
Perhaps we can discuss those other professions in threads that are relevant to them.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Deserve. Don't deserve. Does it really matter when there will be no mony to pay it out? Does it suck that people were promised something that some of them won't get? Sure. Just like the employees of Enron who had their retirement fund wiped out. Life sucks and isn't fair.
exactly. sometimes people get screwed over through no fault of their own. happens all the time in the private sector, soon the public sector is going to feel it also.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm sorry that my intent of my comment evaded you.
The thread was about teachers and their pension rights, not about other professions.
Perhaps we can discuss those other professions in threads that are relevant to them.
Apparently YOU misunderstood.

My post boils down to the last line, so I will re-post it for you -

Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
Apparently YOU misunderstood.

My post boils down to the last line, so I will re-post it for you -

No one can criticize the teachers union.

They are heroes.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann77 View Post

they are heroes.
Now that was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey