Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM

105 posts, read 515,045 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if you guys could answer this question, is it illegal to flash your lights at the cars in front of you. I mean especially for those who are going the limit or 5 over. I always see this on the roads where people think "Oh I am going the limit, and it's illegal to go more so why should I move?". I thought there was a common courtesy between drivers for this. Everyday I drive on the same roads and the traffic is always caused by drivers driving about the same speed holding up traffic behind, especially in the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
I thought there was a common courtesy between drivers for this.
First day in NJ?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Actually I see fairly decent "lane discipline" outside of rush hour, at least on the GSP at night. It seems like most people do "get it" and keep the left lanes clear for passing, except for once in a while you get a clueless driver, or maybe an obstinate one, sometimes the state fuzzolini's pull them over, other times it makes you look for the "pulverize ray" switch on your dashboard.
I think it's legal, as it is a courtesy custom in most places.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Somewhat related. I remember a case going to court of a drive that was pulled over for flashing to oncoming traffic to warn about a speed trap. I remember the person won the case and it was noted that it was fine since it was daytime, but if it would have happened at night they would have gotten a ticket.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
I was just wondering if you guys could answer this question, is it illegal to flash your lights at the cars in front of you. I mean especially for those who are going the limit or 5 over. I always see this on the roads where people think "Oh I am going the limit, and it's illegal to go more so why should I move?". I thought there was a common courtesy between drivers for this. Everyday I drive on the same roads and the traffic is always caused by drivers driving about the same speed holding up traffic behind, especially in the left.
I don't know whether or not it's illegal, but, when people do this to me I put on the breaks and slow down significantly (as much as is safe; going more than 5 under speed limit on the highway is asking for an accident) .

Yeah, it sucks when someone is going slowly on the left lane (and you shouldn't be in the left lane of the highway if you are going less than speed limit + 5 generally), but, flashing your brights at someone is a jerk move in any circumstances, and I have no clue why you should expect people to react in the way you want after you do so.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Actually I see fairly decent "lane discipline" outside of rush hour, at least on the GSP at night. It seems like most people do "get it" and keep the left lanes clear for passing, except for once in a while you get a clueless driver, or maybe an obstinate one, sometimes the state fuzzolini's pull them over, other times it makes you look for the "pulverize ray" switch on your dashboard.
I think it's legal, as it is a courtesy custom in most places.
The pulverize ray should be ten times brighter and it should leave a mark on the back of the vehicle, too. Left lane drivers make me crazy; I can't stand it. Does anyone ever get pulled over and ticketed for riding the left lane? Anyone on this site ever get pulled over for this?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

I mean it is the fast lane, or passing lane in other words so people SHOULD know that they have to move out of the way even if that person is going faster than you. I mean especially if that person has finished passing, or if there is no car blocking that car on the right.

When I was in PA, people moved out of the left lane immediately after passing, which I found amazing.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

From the all knowing Wikipedia:

In New Jersey, drivers are allowed to flash their headlights to warn approaching drivers about a speed trap ahead.[27] In 1999, The Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division held that a statute limiting how far high beams may project is not violated when a motorist flashes his or her high beams to warn oncoming motorists of radar. The Court also concluded that a stop by a police officer based upon high beam flashing is also improper.[28]

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I don't know whether or not it's illegal, but, when people do this to me I put on the breaks and slow down significantly (as much as is safe; going more than 5 under speed limit on the highway is asking for an accident) .

Yeah, it sucks when someone is going slowly on the left lane (and you shouldn't be in the left lane of the highway if you are going less than speed limit + 5 generally), but, flashing your brights at someone is a jerk move in any circumstances, and I have no clue why you should expect people to react in the way you want after you do so.
Flashing your lights is a kind way to remind you to move out of the left lane. The driver behind you doesn't know, if you're day-dreaming. Don't be stubborn, move over.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
The pulverize ray should be ten times brighter and it should leave a mark on the back of the vehicle, too. Left lane drivers make me crazy; I can't stand it. Does anyone ever get pulled over and ticketed for riding the left lane? Anyone on this site ever get pulled over for this?
I actually had a friend who did not know you could cruise in the left lane and she got pulled over for it. So you can, but it is kinda rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey