Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I need to move to the Edison area from South Jersey. We are looking to rent a condo or a house. I grew up in Philly and South Jersey so I am not familiar with Middlesex county at all.

My wife will be working in Edison and I work in Princeton, we want something that is somewhat in between the two but if it comes down to it we can move father away from Princeton.

Any suggestions of decent areas...we have a 7 month old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,349 times
Edison, East Brunswick, Metuchen, & Piscataway are all good choices. Clearly your child is younger so schools are not a necessity yet but all of these areas have good or very good school systems and the areas are great. Edison & Metuchen have train systems and East Brunswick and Piscataway offer lots of that "suburban" feel.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 AM

119 posts, read 240,360 times
Piscataway offer free full day preschool for kids at 4 year old and above, so going forward, your kid may benefit and you safe tens of thousands childcare as both of you working. If you want a particular community, I feel Society Hill at Piscataway is great for you since the Rt 18 route from Society Hill to Turnpike and Rt 1 is now HIGHWAY, all traffic lights all gone (the last one should be gone soon), so easy for you to go Princeton. And it is very close to Edison for your wife, and that community has nice playground, tennis court, swimming pool ...etc that your kid will love it.

Metuchen is very nice but rent seems to be very hike, one member posted got $1760 for 2br apt. Most condos and townhouses sold. If you do not need to walk to train station to work, you may be able to get better rent such as Durham Woods at Edison.

You may also consider North Brunswick if you want more closer to Princeton, but in general, it would be wise to be either at Edison or Princeton since your kids may go to daycare, and when your kid sick, they may call parent to pick them up, so one with office close home would be much easier.

East Bruswick is very good in school and low rent, but Rt 18 traffic may hit both you and your wife hard.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 26,451 times
Would you be able to commute to Princeton ia train? The Trenton line connects Edison (and closeby towns such as Metuchen and Iselin (MetroPark), with Princeton Junction. All three towns are nice with a lot of daycare options. Iselin is probably the most affordable, Metuchen has a really cute main street that is great for families (restaurants, ice cream shop etc) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey