Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyStory View Post
Ann, you're completely right about the sides. Maybe I should have said the old adage "buy the worst house in the best neighborhood" and just left it at that!
How about this?

I know a family who lives in Westfield, and they live on the South side and they are always trying to say how great it is because it's more diverse or not as rich or something like that. And how they aren't snobby Westfield people because they live on the South side. Reverse "side" snobbery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
I would venture to say all towns, ghetto or upscale towns, have 'sides'. It's that human need to build dividing lines or common lines that bind those given groups/areas. Growing up in a tough area of Brooklyn, I remember it was the good-block vs bad-block syndrome, with my family thinking we were on a really good block. To outsiders of course, the whole area would all have been deemed bad, so it's all in the perspective.
I agree with this. I guess in NJ, many towns are so small that they end up being roughly homogenous in terms of wealth. Then the people of one town will find another town to look down on.

The larger towns will end up having sides or areas though, you are right.

There are a few towns that are annoying with all the talk of sides though. Westfield comes to mind, and Ridgewood is another one.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I agree with this. I guess in NJ, many towns are so small that they end up being roughly homogenous in terms of wealth. Then the people of one town will find another town to look down on.

The larger towns will end up having sides or areas though, you are right.

There are a few towns that are annoying with all the talk of sides though. Westfield comes to mind, and Ridgewood is another one.
noted, but you're talking about 2 towns with huge upsides that are not so easy to be had. Great school districts, close NYC proximity, with real sustainable downtowns...

Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
noted, but you're talking about 2 towns with huge upsides that are not so easy to be had. Great school districts, close NYC proximity, with real sustainable downtowns...
Eh. Nothing wrong with those towns, but there are lots of other great towns in NJ. People who live in those towns are a little too into their towns if you ask me. Overrated.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 19,568 times
Quote:
Eh. Nothing wrong with those towns, but there are lots of other great towns in NJ. People who live in those towns are a little too into their towns if you ask me. Overrated.
You mean always making broad statements about their town like "In Westfield, everyone cares about organic nutrition, and money is no object"? I actually heard that! I don't get it because my own town is not a big part of my identity I guess.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
How about this?

I know a family who lives in Westfield, and they live on the South side and they are always trying to say how great it is because it's more diverse or not as rich or something like that. And how they aren't snobby Westfield people because they live on the South side. Reverse "side" snobbery!
I think I know that family, they're always asking me if I'm renovating my house or planning a vacation, LOL.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,167 times
Mu husband heard weird thing in train station yesterday. There was a lady just moved to Westfield from other state. She told my husband that westfield is the only nice town in Union county (hello??!! how about summit, new providence and even our town berkeley heights?). She also thinks that westfield residents pay most of tax in Union county just because she paid over 10000 (come on, it's not abnormal to see that amount within Union county).....I cannot hold my laught after I hear it...........

Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
Mu husband heard weird thing in train station yesterday. There was a lady just moved to Westfield from other state. She told my husband that westfield is the only nice town in Union county (hello??!! how about summit, new providence and even our town berkeley heights?). She also thinks that westfield residents pay most of tax in Union county just because she paid over 10000 (come on, it's not abnormal to see that amount within Union county).....I cannot hold my laught after I hear it...........
just a case of just cause someone says it, doesn't mean it's true. funny, though!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,454 times
i'm a fairly new westfield resident who's been watching this thread with amusement. (not going to tell you which side of town i live on though)

one of my recent experiences; listening to a guy at a kids sports game telling anyone who would listen about his recent family ski trip out west. he'd just go up to people and begin a conversation by saying something like "yeah i'm really tired, still on west coast time.... "

it was funny and sad at the same time.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i'm a fairly new westfield resident who's been watching this thread with amusement. (not going to tell you which side of town i live on though)

one of my recent experiences; listening to a guy at a kids sports game telling anyone who would listen about his recent family ski trip out west. he'd just go up to people and begin a conversation by saying something like "yeah i'm really tired, still on west coast time.... "

it was funny and sad at the same time.
Hal, ok but please please tell us what side Ski Guy lives on, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey