Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,562 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

New here and would like some input from you guys. My wife are in late 20s, without kids, and planning to buy a house next year (still on an apt lease). She works in Princeton and I work in Cranbury with the possibility of my office being re-located to Bridgewater (not sure if and when). We would like purchase something with a 10-20 mile commute to both our jobs. Obviously if we purchase we'd like to school system to be ok as we plan to have children in the near future. Our max is 450-500k that we would pay for a house with reasonable taxes. Are there any preferred towns? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardon View Post
Hello all,

New here and would like some input from you guys. My wife are in late 20s, without kids, and planning to buy a house next year (still on an apt lease). She works in Princeton and I work in Cranbury with the possibility of my office being re-located to Bridgewater (not sure if and when). We would like purchase something with a 10-20 mile commute to both our jobs. Obviously if we purchase we'd like to school system to be ok as we plan to have children in the near future. Our max is 450-500k that we would pay for a house with reasonable taxes. Are there any preferred towns? Thanks in advance.
If she is working in Princeton and you might get relocated to Bridgewater, then you'd want to be on the north side of Rte 1. I'd consider Princeton, Montgomery, South Brunswick, Hopewell if you are also interested in good schools for the future.

If you are working in Cranbury, then you might want to stay to the south and east of Princeton. Then I would recommend looking at West Windsor, Plainsboro, Robbinsville also. Obviously, you would want to know if you are getting relocated or not before you buy because it could make a big difference in your commute, especially once you start involving a commute to the north along 206, which can be slow.

One thing to be careful of in that area is the 08540 zip code. This is a "Princeton" zip code, so the mailing address will be Princeton. However, parts of it span across many towns, Plainsboro, South Brunswick, West Windsor, Montgomery, Franklin Township, you get the idea. So it doesn't mean you would be getting Princeton schools. So you need to really understand what town you are in and not rely on the mailing address. Any good realtor would know this, but it's good to know for yourself if you are looking at houses. There is also a part of East Windsor that has a Cranbury zip code.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Define "reasonable taxes"?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,562 times
LOL.. well not paying 16k+ on a 1500sqf house.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,352 times
First off - find out where you're working BEFORE you buy because there's a very big difference in commute.

Actually, if you know for a fact you're going to Bridgewater, then I'd live off 206 (not Rt. 1) - Hillsborough, Belle Mead, Montgomery are good choices here. 206 is annoying and hellish but even if you live somewhere closer to Rt. 1 -you're going to have to deal with it to get to Bridgewater anyway.

If you're staying in Cranbury - then most definitely Plainsboro, West Windsor, Robbinsville. Hopewell might also be an option here but it's going to be a longer commute and with one spouse in Princeton and the other in Cranbury there's really no reason why you both can't have a great 20 min or less commute. I'd also look into South Brunswick but it's a big sprawling area and you want to be on the southern end of it with both of your commutes (so you want to be towards Plainsboro/Cranbury in South Brunswick NOT towards North Brunswick). I THINK this area is called Dayton but don't quote me on that.

Cranbury itself is very nice but the taxes there are the highest in Middlesex county (East Brunswick is a close second). Monroe also might be an option but the town has a ridiculously high number of retirement communities which is a huge turnoff for some people (myself included)

Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
First off - find out where you're working BEFORE you buy because there's a very big difference in commute.

Actually, if you know for a fact you're going to Bridgewater, then I'd live off 206 (not Rt. 1) - Hillsborough, Belle Mead, Montgomery are good choices here. 206 is annoying and hellish but even if you live somewhere closer to Rt. 1 -you're going to have to deal with it to get to Bridgewater anyway.

If you're staying in Cranbury - then most definitely Plainsboro, West Windsor, Robbinsville. Hopewell might also be an option here but it's going to be a longer commute and with one spouse in Princeton and the other in Cranbury there's really no reason why you both can't have a great 20 min or less commute. I'd also look into South Brunswick but it's a big sprawling area and you want to be on the southern end of it with both of your commutes (so you want to be towards Plainsboro/Cranbury in South Brunswick NOT towards North Brunswick). I THINK this area is called Dayton but don't quote me on that.

Cranbury itself is very nice but the taxes there are the highest in Middlesex county (East Brunswick is a close second). Monroe also might be an option but the town has a ridiculously high number of retirement communities which is a huge turnoff for some people (myself included)
In 2010, Cranbury had the lowest tax rate in Middlesex County.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...0middlesex.pdf
NJ Division of Taxation - General Tax Rates by County and Municipality

Monroe does have a lot of retirement developments, but there were enough new families that moved to Monroe to have a new high school built. (not finished yet)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM

249 posts, read 825,097 times
Exactly what Ann said.

South Brunswick would be a good option for all 3 commutes, Princeton, Cranbury &/or Bridgewater. But, not Dayton - I suggest Monmouth Junction (Princeton Walk area) and Kendall Park.
I would advoid Rt. 206 if possible. Take South Middlebush Rd, to Amwell to Cedar Grove to Easton to Rt. 287. Sounds complicated but it's essentially a straight shoot through Franklin Twp.

If you're looking for new construction KHov is going to build new townhomes in North Brunswick, by Governor's Point and behind the Regal theatre. This would still be a good commute to all 3 destinations.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Quote:
I'd also look into South Brunswick but it's a big sprawling area and you want to be on the southern end of it with both of your commutes (so you want to be towards Plainsboro/Cranbury in South Brunswick NOT towards North Brunswick). I THINK this area is called Dayton but don't quote me on that.
It would probably be an easier commute to Bridgewater living closer to (or in) North Brunswick. North and South Brunswick both offer excellent access to the general region and have what the OP is looking for: good schools, reasonable taxes and houses within the price range mentioned.

Quote:
Yeah most of them can't drive anymore. I wish they would mandate people retake a drivers test after reaching a certain age. Besides that, the taxes are the lowest in the area but it's mostly new soulless cookie-cutter sprawl on former farmland.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:13 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekee726 View Post
If you're looking for new construction KHov is going to build new townhomes in North Brunswick, by Governor's Point and behind the Regal theatre. This would still be a good commute to all 3 destinations.
There's also that Twin Brooks going up at the end of Rt 130 starting at $519K (which was reduced from the original $549K from two years ago), but they really don't look that big in comparison to other "McMansions".

Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM

23 posts, read 61,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekee726 View Post
Exactly what Ann said.

South Brunswick would be a good option for all 3 commutes, Princeton, Cranbury &/or Bridgewater. But, not Dayton - I suggest Monmouth Junction (Princeton Walk area) and Kendall Park.
I would advoid Rt. 206 if possible. Take South Middlebush Rd, to Amwell to Cedar Grove to Easton to Rt. 287. Sounds complicated but it's essentially a straight shoot through Franklin Twp.

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey