Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM

234 posts, read 938,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

"Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me."
(Matthew 25:40)
Good call, retriever.

The entire foundation of the Judeo-Christian religious ethic can be summed up by The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I think that on Good Friday, and in the middle of Passover, there are many people here who may want to reflect upon whether or not they can honestly represent themselves as Christians or Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,006,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Can't pay off billions (state) and trillions (federal) in debt without cuts in spending AND raising taxes. The math doesn't work. Thanks for playing.
Nonsense. Spending cuts can do it, cutting the size of government can do it. Raising taxes is not necessary. Ever.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Whenever I hear someone advocate gutting/eliminating government programs for the elderly, poor, and infirm, I think of this quotation from The New Testament:

"Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me."
(Matthew 25:40)

During this holiest of seasons for Christians, that thought might be something to contemplate.
Amen to that!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nonsense. Spending cuts can do it, cutting the size of government can do it. Raising taxes is not necessary. Ever.
Just curious. Since you're in the industry, how much do the Feds subsidize the housing market - both directy & indirectly?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Just curious. Since you're in the industry, how much do the Feds subsidize the housing market - both directy & indirectly?
I don't have the exact numbers, but the Federal Income Tax deductions for both local property tax and mortgage interest add up to billions of dollars.

These are indirect subsidies to the real estate industry, which could not exist if these giveaways were excluded.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This statement is utter blather. The real "nonsense" here is thinking that raising taxes on the super-wealthy is not necessary and/or counter productive. It is the only way that the deficit can be eliminated. Anyone who gets their information from any outlet other than Fox "News" understands this.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Agreed. I am for paying more taxes even though I am far from rich if it would solve our countries problems.
LOL!

Knock it off. You're all for anyone you consider "rich" having to pay more taxes to solve your problems.

Let's pretend you aren't, for just a second: What/which problems is tossing more money at going to solve for WHOM and HOW?

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-22-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
This statement is utter blather. The real "nonsense" here is thinking that raising taxes on the super-wealthy is not necessary and/or counter productive. It is the only way that the deficit can be eliminated. Anyone who gets their information from any outlet other than Fox "News" understands this.

Anyone with a brain in their head understands that when you don't SPEND, you save.

Too bad the liberals can't wrap their tiny little heads around that concept.

It's like the folks who want to live in NJ, in a hood with a blue-ribbon school district, where a 4 bed 3.5 bath home costs around 300K, with low property taxes, a walkable downtown, a religious entity of their liking in the majority, no crime, no corrupt local politicians, a 20 minute commute to NYC (can walk to the train/bus station) neighbors who will love them, a mailman who will water their rose bushes if they look a little dry....

You can't HAVE it all, unless you can afford it and liberal wishes don't come cheap.

Only the naive/young/liberal think they"deserve" some lifestyle/free health-care/pension/free shiit all around and no matter what the state of affairs are, and someone else should pay out of their arse to make sure they get what is due them!

LOL! ROTMFFLMMFFAO!!!!!

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-22-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Since you have a computer (and obviously don't know what you're trying to get the REA on this thread to tell you or anyone else) look it up yourself.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-22-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,006,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Raising taxes on anyone is unneccessary and counterproductive. We are grossly overtaxed and overregulated and overredistributed. We are also underfocused and undermotivated and oversocialized and underdisciplined in nearly all areas of life. Which is why lesser countries will soon pass us by and leave us in the dust. We don't need to return to freedom, we've completely forgotten its value and strength. We need to rediscover it and re-embrace it. Freedom isn't everything, it's the only thing. This is my last contribuion to this thread for now, as my viewpoints are known and recorded. Time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey