Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM

264 posts, read 606,355 times

Advertisements

Is a midtown NYC commute from these 2 towns comparable?
What is it that makes Westfield more expensive?
From our research so far, we really like the family friendly feel of both areas; but we get much better house for the money in North Edison.
If anyone has had to make a choice between the 2 towns, would you pl let me know why you chose one over the other.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,340 times
When we moved from NYC we looked at both towns and decided on North Edison only because there is direct train service to Penn Station. I really did not want to have to transfer trains. Coming from Westfield you have to transfer at Newark Penn. Not really a big deal but, I just hate having to rely on 2 diff trains. If you do not work by Penn Station, a bus from Westfield might be more convenient so that is also something to look into.

The reason you get more for your money in North Edison is that Westfield is overall a nicer town. It has a nice downtown and you get more of a town feel. North Edison is part of Edison Township and there is no real downtown. Metuchen is right next door though and although it is not as nice as Westfield's downtown, it isn't bad. I don't know about Westfield's govt, but Edison's is a complete joke right now. The Mayor is basically a puppet of segments of the Police and Fire departments. Population wise, Edison has more immigrants with a high percentage of Indians and Asians. Both towns have good school systems but I think Westfield's is usually ranked higher.

If both towns had direct trains to NY Penn I would've gone with Westfield. The positives of North Edison are that you do get more for your money, being asian myself I like having lots of ethnic food and groceries nearby, the town is not as "upper class" which I hope keeps my kids more grounded, and it is close to rt1 and the turnpike (which could also be considered negatives). Both towns are nice and you prob can't go wrong either way.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
Is a midtown NYC commute from these 2 towns comparable?
What is it that makes Westfield more expensive?
From our research so far, we really like the family friendly feel of both areas; but we get much better house for the money in North Edison.
If anyone has had to make a choice between the 2 towns, would you pl let me know why you chose one over the other.
Thanks!

First, I hope you realize that there is no municipality known as "North Edison". Apparently, realtors coined that term in order to distinguish the more-desirable northern end of the township from the less-desirable southern part of Edison.

That being said, some significant differences exist between the mythical "North Edison" and Westfield.

The major difference, IMHO, is the housing stock. Westfield's housing stock is primarily pre-WW II homes (including many stately Colonials and some mansions), while Edison features mostly post-WW II tract homes (including many split-levels from the '60s). The charm of Westfield's placid streets lined with stately homes is the primary reason why it has been used for a number of movie shoots. Edison...not so much.

Most folks would describe the ambiance of Westfield's neighborhoods are being far more genteel than those of Edison, but, as the old saying goes..."You pays your money and you takes your choice".

As was said, Westfield has a very nice traditional "downtown", whereas Edison, like most suburban sprawl communities, has only strip malls.

Both communities have excellent school systems.

The police department in Westfield is excellent, and the crime rate in Westfield is far lower than that of Edison. Over the past few years, there has been quite a bit of negative publicity regarding Edison police officers.

If I was choosing between the two communities, I would choose Westfield--assuming that I had the funds for the much higher home costs in that town.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
First, I hope you realize that there is no municipality known as "North Edison". Apparently, realtors coined that term in order to distinguish the more-desirable northern end of the township from the less-desirable southern part of Edison.

That being said, some significant differences exist between the mythical "North Edison" and Westfield.

The major difference, IMHO, is the housing stock. Westfield's housing stock is primarily pre-WW II homes (including many stately Colonials and some mansions), while Edison features mostly post-WW II tract homes (including many split-levels from the '60s). The charm of Westfield's placid streets lined with stately homes is the primary reason why it has been used for a number of movie shoots. Edison...not so much.

Most folks would describe the ambiance of Westfield's neighborhoods are being far more genteel than those of Edison, but, as the old saying goes..."You pays your money and you takes your choice".

As was said, Westfield has a very nice traditional "downtown", whereas Edison, like most suburban sprawl communities, has only strip malls.

Both communities have excellent school systems.

The police department in Westfield is excellent, and the crime rate in Westfield is far lower than that of Edison. Over the past few years, there has been quite a bit of negative publicity regarding Edison police officers.

If I was choosing between the two communities, I would choose Westfield--assuming that I had the funds for the much higher home costs in that town.

There is a difference between "North Edison" and "South Edison." They are geographically divided with Metuchen being in the middle and although they do share the same school district they are served by different high schools with "North Edison" students going to J.P. Stevens which is highly regarded. Also, North Edison is a weird mix of McMansions and ranch and split levels with a majority of the homes being McMansions. Almost all of the crime that is mentioned taking place in Edison occurs on the south side which really is attributed to the Rt. 1 corridor. North Edison is a nice place to live but I do agree that Westfield is nicer.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Another thought, if you are considering North Edison you should also consider Metuchen which has the same commute as North Edison and has many of things that Westfield has. It is a little more expensive than North Edison but is cheaper than Westfield.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
Also, North Edison is a weird mix of McMansions and ranch and split levels with a majority of the homes being McMansions. Almost all of the crime that is mentioned taking place in Edison occurs on the south side which really is attributed to the Rt. 1 corridor. North Edison is a nice place to live but I do agree that Westfield is nicer.

The McMansions in the mythical "North Edison" are almost all built on lots that are inappropriately small for the size of those homes. By contrast, most of the nicer homes in Westfield are built on lots that look more appropriate for the size of the home.

While I agree that "south Edison" has more crime than the northern end of Edison, let us not forget that much of "North Edison" abuts Woodbridge Township, where the crime rate is rising rapidly. Unfortunately, criminals do not stop at town borders, and much of the urban-inspired crime of Woodbridge Twp is spreading into Edison.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The McMansions in the mythical "North Edison" are almost all built on lots that are inappropriately small for the size of those homes. By contrast, most of the nicer homes in Westfield are built on lots that look more appropriate for the size of the home.

While I agree that "south Edison" has more crime than the northern end of Edison, let us not forget that much of "North Edison" abuts Woodbridge Township, where the crime rate is rising rapidly. Unfortunately, criminals do not stop at town borders, and much of the urban-inspired crime of Woodbridge Twp is spreading into Edison.
That's really not true at all. Look on realtor.com. Most North Edison lot sizes are 1/2 an acre. My house and every house around me is on at least 1/2 an acre. If you look at Westfield lots they are often 1/3 to a 1/4 of an acre. If you think North Edison and Woodbridge are crime ridden you must live in a bubble. They are both safe places to live. By your logic how safe is Westfield really? Westfield is very close to Plainfield NJ. Also my house in North Edison is only 7 miles from my friend's house in Westfield. Really, not far at all. Yes Westfield is "nicer" but c'mon, North Edison is pretty nice.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks, folks. Appreciate the prompt replies. Anything else that might favor one over the other?
How are pre-schools and child care facilities in 08820 area? (I won't call it "North edison" but concentrating on the area with better schools and therefore restricting our search to this part of Edison)
How are emergency facilities? In our town there is no formal emergency/ambulance service, it is run by volunteers. We didn't find this out until we actually had to call them. 'Nice factor' is nice to have but I am practical and if basic services (everyday and emergency) were more reliable in one over the other, that would be a more important factor for me.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM

The 2 times we had to call 911, the ambulance arrived but it took us so long to explain to them what was needed and how to transport our child, we ended up taking our own car. Scary but we did it and I hope I never have to go through something like that again.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Never had to call an ambulance but our Alarm system triggered accidentally a few times both when it was being installed and a couple times after and police were at the home within 5 minutes so police response time is fast (this is in 08820). Again, thankfully I never had to call an ambulance so I have no idea what EMS response time might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey