Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM

286 posts, read 851,141 times

Advertisements

Then put it in your garage, if you feel unsafe or chain it. I keep mine unlocked in my backyard. No one knows it's there really except other neighbors who have their own grills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I leave the grill outside, without a lock. (an MHP grill) I never worried about anyone steeling it, but someone did cook on it while no one was home and the igniter was taken. However, the person did tighten the handle for me.
I meant "steal."

Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
My husband and I got a nice grill as a present (it's probably at least $500 retail) and he wants to leave it outside in our backyard w/o a lock on it.

Question is, would you leave your grill out in the open w/o a lock in NJ? Husband thinks I'm paranoid and doesn't think we need to worry about theft. We live in Rutherford and have no lock/gate to our backyard. There are also a fair share of renters living in our area. Basically you can just come and wheel away the grill if you really want to...
OOOOOO beware of the renters, they will steal grills from homeowners.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM

97 posts, read 310,912 times
All I can say is that I really feel for the husband here. I'm sure he has to come home every night and listen to how he needs to lock the grill up. Even though everyone agrees it's ridiculous to lock the grill up, in the end she will get her way and the husband will have to go out and buy a super secure lock for the stupid grill.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
don't forget the windows with steel grates over them.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i dont think anyone is stealing grills in my neighborhood. i wouldnt imagine they would get the best return to effort/risk of stealing.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
OOOOOO beware of the renters, they will steal grills from homeowners.
Renters are more transient by definition. It's easier to steal something from someone when you are leaving, then when you have to live next door to them for the next twenty years.

I know for condo complexes, crime is usually higher when there is a high proportion of renters as opposed to the unit owners living there. Other things suffer too, like a renter is more likely to leave the trash in the street, that kind of thing. When you don't care about the value of a home because you don't own it, you tend to treat it differently.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
While you guys might be correct about owners being less likely to steal something than a renter, we are talking about a BIG propane GRILL here. There is no way someone is throwing it into a back pack or under their coat or stashing it in a closet once stolen to keep it hidden.

In my opinion, unless other things have disappeared from your yard, you are probably fine. Rutherford is NOT the hood by any means.

As JerseyMan has stated, where I grew up WAS the hood and we locked/chained everything no matter what. Ive had a wheelbarrow, lawn mower, small roll of chain link fence, 2 giant old heavy a$$ radiators that took 3 people to move it, a cracked bicycle frame and countless other things stolen from our small yard. The ONLY thing that started to help deter was the 6' fence, 2 german shepards and motion detector flood lights. Even with all that someone still had the **** to steal an old car battery and floor jack one night. Live with animals, expect to get bitten once in a while.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Renters are more transient by definition. It's easier to steal something from someone when you are leaving, then when you have to live next door to them for the next twenty years.

I know for condo complexes, crime is usually higher when there is a high proportion of renters as opposed to the unit owners living there. Other things suffer too, like a renter is more likely to leave the trash in the street, that kind of thing. When you don't care about the value of a home because you don't own it, you tend to treat it differently.
I think that depends a lot more on the caliber of the person rather than them being someone who rents. I've been a renter for the past 7 years, and always taken great amounts of care into the upkeep of apartments and houses I've lived in, inside and out. It makes me so angry when fellow tenants would just pile their crap on the front patio of my last apartment. Or the slob who puked in the stairs this weekend of my current apartment. People want no accountability for their laziness. Let it be someone else's problem.

That said, there a lot of homeowners on my block and I can say most of them are just as careless about where they live as anyone. They leave garbage all over the block, treat the sidewalk as if it were theirs personal parking lot and dumping ground.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
It's really just a matter of how safe you feel about it. I'm planning on buying a relatively inexpensive charcoal grill for my new apartment when I move next week (hooray private outdoor space!) and while it's not gonna cost all that much, I will probably chain/lock it up in some way. Not so much for someone stealing it, more so for heavy winds. Though it will be nice to know it probably ain't going far SHOULD someone decide they just need my $120 grill =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey