Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Well it's one thing that cops can and should do is fly around the left lanes, and I agree with that.
unless the cop is going to an emergency situation, i dont see why they should break any laws.

im not sure the rules, maybe someone here knows. outside of emergencies or pulling people over, are cops supposed to be breaking the standard rules of the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM

614 posts, read 1,373,417 times
I've seen the same thing like this happen on the GSP only thing was the cop didn't hit the lights. He just passed the car on the right he was prob ticked off that the person didn't pull a lane over but oh well.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,741,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
unless the cop is going to an emergency situation, i dont see why they should break any laws.

im not sure the rules, maybe someone here knows. outside of emergencies or pulling people over, are cops supposed to be breaking the standard rules of the road?
Police are "supposed" to be held to the same laws of the road as everyone else. The only caveat is when they are rushing to an emergency. When doing so, they are "supposed" to have their lights on. There are valid reasons why they would NOT run their lights and sirens so as a general rule, we as the public, tend to give them right of way, because they could actually be responding to an emergency. We just dont know if they are. I would hate to have a cop show up 5 seconds late to a home invasion to find me or my family dead because some <insert absurd expletive here> was tying up the left lane.

Believe it or not, the ONLY vehicle on the road that can legally run red lights, speed, and disobey any and all traffic laws is a USPS mail truck because they could be carrying an act of war to the president. But, it is only during such a delivery that they are allowed to do so.

Back on topic, police are also supposed to be held to the same traffic laws as the public while in their own personal vehicles. but how many times have you heard of a cop getting out of a ticket under the guise of "professional courtesy".

No matter how you look at it, its a double standard and I'm happy to see more and more towns trying to put a stop to (edit) the abuse of it. LEOs across the country feel they are part of a fraternity with their own culture that the gen public could not/ would not understand. Because of this, they tend to look out for each other and go above and beyond what they would normally do for the public (so if you got tin, your in). This, in and of itself, is not a bad thing IMO, but when they abuse the privilege and refuse to write another LEO regardless, it is doing nothing but continuing to promote the US vs THEM mentality on both sides.

Last edited by RobRiguez; 04-21-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
This video was too funny, Nexis. Kudos to the cop! I thought for sure he was gonna ticket the idiot. What he/she wound up doing was just - classy, IMO.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM

334 posts, read 730,431 times
Quote:
one reason why i do not like cops. they think they have this god given right to get on everyone's rear end because everyone is supposed to get out of their way.
Why not just brake check him? That is your usual "go to move" in this situation, right lol?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,542,723 times
The cop has every right and OBLIGATION to keep the left lane clear for those of us who are serious drivers, thank you.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
Why not just brake check him? That is your usual "go to move" in this situation, right lol?
brake checking a cop would be like heaven.

i gave the middle finger to a bus driver yesterday. jerk almost hit me. i hate buses.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times
Quote:
brake checking a cop would be like heaven.

i gave the middle finger to a bus driver yesterday. jerk almost hit me. i hate buses.
Take 2 deep breaths and let them out slowly, say 3 Hail Marys, 5 minutes in the time out chair and you'll be healed. All the bad and road rage drivers will be gone.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Take 2 deep breaths and let them out slowly, say 3 Hail Marys, 5 minutes in the time out chair and you'll be healed. All the bad and road rage drivers will be gone.
its good to have the bad drivers and the ones with road rage. makes things fun for me. the only time i get pissed is the moment when one does something dangerous, but once its done i immediately have fun again.

this situation the bus had his signal on so i was leaving space for him. but i guess he decided my lane wasnt good enough at the moment, so he didnt go. then a few seconds later when i closed the space, he decided it was time for him to go and he tried to force himself in without the space. so i didnt let him in front of me (he got very close), then when he made his way left i stuck my arm out of my window and gave him the finger.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:19 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times
Quote:
its good to have the bad drivers and the ones with road rage. makes things fun for me. the only time i get pissed is the moment when one does something dangerous, but once its done i immediately have fun again.

this situation the bus had his signal on so i was leaving space for him. but i guess he decided my lane wasnt good enough at the moment, so he didnt go. then a few seconds later when i closed the space, he decided it was time for him to go and he tried to force himself in without the space. so i didnt let him in front of me (he got very close), then when he made his way left i stuck my arm out of my window and gave him the finger.
And THAT, in and of itself, saved the day, and everyone lived happily-ever-after.

You are actually a very funny person, Captain. While your posts are often inciting, offending and infuriating, they are usually also fun to read, all the same. Maybe because they make me (and probably others) feel so much more civilized.

We NEED differences of opinion, else life would be very boring. Thanks for your input, and your opposing viewpoints ... sincerely!

Repped just because of the above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey