Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 61,146 times

Advertisements

About to pull the trigger on one of the two...

The first one is in Montclair (location: on Bay Street, closest cross st: Glenridge; literally 5-10 min walk to Bay Street Station).

The second one is in Glen Ridge (location: on Park Ave, closest cross st: Bloomfield Ave; also a roughly 5-10 min talk to Glen Ridge Station).

Both are 2 bedroom condos, roughly same price range.

My top criteria:

(1) Safety

(2) Proximity to train (will be walking to and from the Train station to goto
NY Penn). Is the Bay St or Glen Ridge train station better?

(3) Investment potential (which town / location offers better appreciation potential?)

Many thanks for any advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
I think Glen Ridge is hands down the better choice. Montclair and Glen Ridge are both great towns. I'm sure you already know that both the condos you are looking at area not in the most desirable parts of either town, that said they are both fine places. I would go with Glen Ridge. I was a signature on a contract away from buying a condo in that same are of Montclair at the 50 Pine Street complex. After several trips we decided the area was still a little too seedy for us.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 04-22-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 12:29 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,409 times
Glen Ridge is probably the better investment, just because some parts of that area of Montclair get a little seedy. Nothing horrible but Glen Ridge is a little more of a prestige town. Although frankly, both areas mentioned are very nice places to live.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
what are the taxes and maintenance on each? assuming nearly equal, i'd go with glen ridge.

are schools a concern now or will they be while you're there?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I think Glen Ridge is hands down the better choice. Montclair and Glen Ridge are both great towns. I'm sure you already know that both the condos you are looking at area not in the most desirable parts of either town, that said they are both fine places. I would go with Glen Ridge. I was a signature on a contract away from buying a condo in that same are of Montclair at the 50 Pine Street complex. After several trips we decided the area was still a little too seedy for us.
tdstyles: thanks for the reply. I know that the bay street unit is definitely not in the "prime" montclair area... (far from it!) but the sad truth is, if I want a condo that is within 5-7 min walking distance to NJ train, then the choice of location is limited.

I drove around the area today, I see what you mean by "seedy". This will be my "weekday only home" (work in NJ during the week and commute back to Boston home during the weekends). I really need to go there late at night an get a feel for whether or not it's safe to walk around by myself at night...

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, right before you stopped yourself from signing, what deal did you manage to negotiate for the 50 Pine place? Sale as a % of Ask?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
what are the taxes and maintenance on each? assuming nearly equal, i'd go with glen ridge.

are schools a concern now or will they be while you're there?

Tax rate for glen ridge and montclair are the same, I believe... 2.5%?

Schools not really a concern (no kids) but plays into resale I guess.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Glen Ridge is probably the better investment, just because some parts of that area of Montclair get a little seedy. Nothing horrible but Glen Ridge is a little more of a prestige town. Although frankly, both areas mentioned are very nice places to live.

Just curious, what's people's definition of "seedy"?

For me, as long as the area does not have a high crime rate (car thefts, break-ins), then I am probably OK with it. Driving around I note that the area around Bay St. station is very "blue collar" (sorry, dunno how to say this without coming across as an ass or as an elitist)... I guess most of the yuppies live in The Siena or in Upper Montclair....

Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 AM

143 posts, read 302,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
Just curious, what's people's definition of "seedy"?

For me, as long as the area does not have a high crime rate (car thefts, break-ins), then I am probably OK with it. Driving around I note that the area around Bay St. station is very "blue collar" (sorry, dunno how to say this without coming across as an ass or as an elitist)... I guess most of the yuppies live in The Siena or in Upper Montclair....
I lived in the Pine Street area and it was INFESTED with drugs. Lots of crack vials on the sidewalks. And the men who would hang around the corner liquor store would harrass me anytime that I walked by. The worst neighborhood in Montclair. My apartment was broken into several times, including one time when I WAS INSIDE THE APARTMENT. I was asleep at the time and when I woke up I discovered that things were missing . . .

I love Montclair, but that is not a good area to be around at night. Go with Glen Ridge!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
I lived in the Pine Street area and it was INFESTED with drugs. Lots of crack vials on the sidewalks. And the men who would hang around the corner liquor store would harrass me anytime that I walked by. The worst neighborhood in Montclair. My apartment was broken into several times, including one time when I WAS INSIDE THE APARTMENT. I was asleep at the time and when I woke up I discovered that things were missing . . .

I love Montclair, but that is not a good area to be around at night. Go with Glen Ridge!

****, now you're scaring me....

When did you live in the Pine street area?

Was your apartment ground floor level?

Hmmmm... now you've given me something to think about....

Old 04-24-2011, 01:16 PM

262 posts, read 841,184 times
Hope it is ok to list link to the condo my sister has up for sale on Bloomfield / Belleville border (close to Bloomfield Station and shuttle service available):

http://www.trulia.com/property/30288...ville-NJ-07109

http://new.gsmls.com/publicsite/prop...&sysid=2802909 (Garden State MLS Listing # 2802909 in Belleville township in Essex County)

It is about 1 mile away from Bloomfield Station, but there is a shuttle that stops about a block or two away from condo that will take you down to station for like 0.50 / ride.

http://www.bloomfieldtwpnj.com/recreation/dial-ride (broken link)

(the Montgomery and Rowe stop of Bloomfield Shuttle is about 1 - 2 blocks away from entrance to condo building. I think Bloomfield Station is maybe a mile or two down the road. It is slightly further away than the Monclair Stop, so perhaps there would be more seats on train in morning?). There is also bus service into NYC from same station, I think.

Quote:
Examples of Times for Bloomfield Shuttle from Montgomery Rowe stop:

Route # 4
Belleville Ave/Smith Street 6:52AM
Montgomery Street/Rowe St 6:55AM
Bloomfield Station 7:03AM
(M) Train Departs 7:08AM
(H) Train Departs 7:16AM

Route # 5
Belleville Ave/Smith Street 7:23AM
Montgomery Street/Rowe St 7:28AM
Bloomfield Station 7:35AM
(M) Train Departs 7:51AM
(H) Train Departs 7:58AM

Route # 6
Belleville Ave/Smith Street 8:06AM
Montgomery Street/Rowe St 8:10AM
Bloomfield Station 8:16AM
(M) Train Departs 8:27AM
(H) Train Departs 8:37AM
Condo is 1.1 miles away from Bloomfield Station walking down Montgomery Street, but Bloomfield Shuttle Bus is 1 or 2 blocks away from condo if you don't mind spending 50 cents per ride:http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...&selStation=19

Last edited by mshan242709; 04-24-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey