Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM

18,383 posts, read 31,494,900 times

Advertisements

Ravi & Wei should be punnished, wit a long sentence in jail. No it is not acceptable what they did, and because of it someones child is dead.

I only hope and pray that the Tylers family spend every ounce of their being ruining and torturing those 2 pieces of lowlife scum that drove their son to do what he did. I know as a parent, I would have a field day with them, that I could almost feel sorry for them.....but I dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,948,628 times
And around and around we go...

Threads like these are the reason I have 0 faith in the jury system. People don't know how to separate fact from their own hysterical emotions.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,034,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
And around and around we go...

Threads like these are the reason I have 0 faith in the jury system. People don't know how to separate fact from their own hysterical emotions.
Sadly, this is very true.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Ravi & Wei should be punnished, wit a long sentence in jail. No it is not acceptable what they did, and because of it someones child is dead.

I only hope and pray that the Tylers family spend every ounce of their being ruining and torturing those 2 pieces of lowlife scum that drove their son to do what he did. I know as a parent, I would have a field day with them, that I could almost feel sorry for them.....but I dont.
I feel exactly the 180 degrees opposite of what this person is writing.

First of all, people are assuming that whatever these 2 freshmen did had anything to do with the student who took his life. That is a very long stretch, and no one should be prosecuted when something is a very long stretch of the imagination.

Secondly, no one should be held liable in that way if they are just all college kids doing college kid stuff, by which I mean neither of the 2 "victims" had any ill intent in mind. Moreso, they are within their personal freedoms to act, to a certain point.

Thirdly, I just don't get this neanderthal need to go out and punish people and how some people are hung up about it. Geez, come on now, what is with all these people wanting to punish others???

Also those parents of the kid who committed suicide can not take it out on anyone else. That is wrong in many ways.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,772,711 times
I guess I'm the minority here, I'd call it a hate crime. He wouldn't humiliate the roommate by showing a video of the kid having "straight sex" to the world, he wouldn't record that kind of normalcy at all. His motive was "look at this f*g"

I wouldn't put him in jail for it though, but I really don't care if that's the case.

Last edited by BPerone201; 04-29-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 01:14 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I guess I'm the minority here, I'd call it a hate crime. He wouldn't humiliate the roommate by showing a video of the kid having "straight sex" to the world, he wouldn't record that kind of normalcy at all. His motive was "look at this f*g"

I wouldn't put him in jail for it though, but I really don't care if that's the case.
That doesn't sound like any kind of "hate" either way. Also I do not believe we can pass laws to try and pretend such a natural human emotion such as hate does not exist. Silly fraud if you look at it. Why even pretend to legislate or restrict natural human feelings? Many times the law relies on and forces the feeling of hate on people and then they do not get charged with any "hate crime". For instance if you'd hate to have an accident or get a violation and that forces you to drive safer, why don't they prosecute everyone for that hate crime?

This farce is silly below a preschool level.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM

1,804 posts, read 2,359,250 times
Those two are guilty only of violating his privacy and the various evasive efforts they made later.

They could not possibly have predicted the future or known his state of mind or how he would react. A trained psychiatrist on the witness stand could not be expected to predict specifically how Clementi would have responded -- that would be "speculation".

If the victim in this case had reacted violently and murdered his harasser, would the harasser be responsible for his own death?

Bias intimidation? Had they recorded a freshman female having her first hetero relations would it be any less offensive? Had they recorded a married student student cheating on their spouse would it be any less offensive?

Bias and "hate" crime legislation is a means for minorities to commit acts of legal bullying against the larger society now.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,772,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That doesn't sound like any kind of "hate" either way. Also I do not believe we can pass laws to try and pretend such a natural human emotion such as hate does not exist. Silly fraud if you look at it. Why even pretend to legislate or restrict natural human feelings? Many times the law relies on and forces the feeling of hate on people and then they do not get charged with any "hate crime". For instance if you'd hate to have an accident or get a violation and that forces you to drive safer, why don't they prosecute everyone for that hate crime?

This farce is silly below a preschool level.
I think there's a bigger picture than just this incident, gay teens are killing themselves nation wide at a very high rate due to this kind of harrasment (or bullying). Therefore labeling it a hate crime is understandable.

If you don't think that student wasn't be harassed because he was gay, then I don't know what to tell you. There is no other reason why he would try and humiliate the kid.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

3,404 posts, read 4,443,991 times
I don't think either defendants' actions were driven by actual bigotry. I think they found Clementi's sexual relationship with another male to be odd, maybe disgusting, and perhaps amusing and bad judgement took over from there. If an individual is a bigot for finding certain sexual behavior odd or disgusting then I guess that makes me a bigot as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM

18,383 posts, read 31,494,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I feel exactly the 180 degrees opposite of what this person is writing.

First of all, people are assuming that whatever these 2 freshmen did had anything to do with the student who took his life. That is a very long stretch, and no one should be prosecuted when something is a very long stretch of the imagination.

Secondly, no one should be held liable in that way if they are just all college kids doing college kid stuff, by which I mean neither of the 2 "victims" had any ill intent in mind. Moreso, they are within their personal freedoms to act, to a certain point.

Thirdly, I just don't get this neanderthal need to go out and punish people and how some people are hung up about it. Geez, come on now, what is with all these people wanting to punish others???

Also those parents of the kid who committed suicide can not take it out on anyone else. That is wrong in many ways.

there is something wrong with you.
you are also heartless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey