Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times

Advertisements

My neighbor and I were out walking our dogs several nights ago when I commented on how dangerous the road in front of our building has become due to the excessive speeding and blatant disregard for the stop signs.

I didn't even finish the sentence when he tells me he called the Weehawken P.D. last week to get some patrols in the area in an attempt to curb the stupidity, but was told it will be tough to get down there because the cutbacks have left the department very short-staffed.

Translation: "Christie pulled the golden teat out of our mouths, and we don't know what it's like to actually do our job. All that paperwork is scary!" Hmmmm, another "woe is us, we are broke" tale.

Both intrigued and disgusted by hearing this, I decided to stand outside for 15 minutes just to see how much money the "deprived" police department would rake in...

11 cars
1 firetruck (shocker)
15 minutes

Do you know how much money these towns could make by actually enforcing traffic rules? They'd make a mint! But that bully Gub'na of ours would rather see the cops suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
My department is down twenty five percent with the workload the same or increased. It's a sign of the times. Many functions and details have been reduced of eliminated totally.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
What exactly are you saying? This is something we now have to live with because the cops are stretched so thin?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
QOL issues won't be enforced as much. Partly out of spite, but I'm not that cycnical to believe that's a majority of the reason. That's why I'm hoping cities get smarter with use of technology for red lights and stop signs. Speeding is another issue to tackle, but i'm sure it can be done more efficiently.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default static local policies need review

Interesting that traffic and crime problems that exist and are well known and documented stick out like a sore thumb in these times of reduced coverage. Seems many of the problem areas should have been addressed and are testimony to a local government that has been asleep at the wheel. Obviously with full coverage the same problems still existed.

Some issues are too complex to solve with simple solutions but many can be mitigated or resolved.

Local rules requires a cop with flashing lights to sit on the side of 202 all day everyday while an electric station is being expanded. Many towns are perfectly happy to be hamstrung by innefficienct policies and continue to suffer bravely in the face of forced economic sanity.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Interesting that traffic and crime problems that exist and are well known and documented stick out like a sore thumb in these times of reduced coverage. Seems many of the problem areas should have been addressed and are testimony to a local government that has been asleep at the wheel. Obviously with full coverage the same problems still existed.

Some issues are too complex to solve with simple solutions but many can be mitigated or resolved.

Local rules requires a cop with flashing lights to sit on the side of 202 all day everyday while an electric station is being expanded. Many towns are perfectly happy to be hamstrung by innefficienct policies and continue to suffer bravely in the face of forced economic sanity.
that rule that requires cops to sit there also requires the company to pay them. it's just that they have to use the cops. that's not use of a cop's city time, it's seperate. and i believe it's a state law.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
When cops sit at construction sites and utility work, their time is being paid for by the companies that are doing the work. The city does not pay for that time. In many cases, the cops that sit there are off duty so its extra pay for them.

As for PDs running thin these days, I say the same to them as I do to the teachers. It is my firm belief that years and years of inefficient budgeting, wasteful spending, and salaries too large for the work performed are the root causes. Tighten belts, reduce salaries, hire more at lower wages, and the same "work" can still be performed. The problem is that when companies do this, only the company suffers during the changes. When the gov does this, the public suffers.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
When cops sit at construction sites and utility work, their time is being paid for by the companies that are doing the work. The city does not pay for that time. In many cases, the cops that sit there are off duty so its extra pay for them.

As for PDs running thin these days, I say the same to them as I do to the teachers. It is my firm belief that years and years of inefficient budgeting, wasteful spending, and salaries too large for the work performed are the root causes. Tighten belts, reduce salaries, hire more at lower wages, and the same "work" can still be performed. The problem is that when companies do this, only the company suffers during the changes. When the gov does this, the public suffers.
this works in theory. but it's not great for morale in any job when you know the person next to you, doing the same job, is making 10 or 15% more than you. so you'd have to reduce salaries at the same time as hire at lower wages (which might be what you meant anyways)....but it's very difficult to reduce salaries. well, it's easy to do it...but there are issues that come with that.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Actually, the presence of a police car and police officer at construction sites along roadways is a state law. This has been part of our legal code for...perhaps as long as 10 years...and was the result of several incidents where speeding/inattentive/reckless motorists veered into the path of the workers. Whether you agree with the reasons for this legal requirement at construction sites or not, the reality is that it has drastically reduced the incidence of injuries to construction workers.

And, as has already been pointed out, the company doing the construction work must pay for the presence of the police car(s) and officer(s).
And, yes, I do know that in the case of road construction, this amount is simply added to the total contract cost paid by the government.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Actually, the presence of a police car and police officer at construction sites along roadways is a state law. This has been part of our legal code for...perhaps as long as 10 years...and was the result of several incidents where speeding/inattentive/reckless motorists veered into the path of the workers. Whether you agree with the reasons for this legal requirement at construction sites or not, the reality is that it has drastically reduced the incidence of injuries to construction workers.

And, as has already been pointed out, the company doing the construction work must pay for the presence of the police car(s) and officer(s).
And, yes, I do know that in the case of road construction, this amount is simply added to the total contract cost paid by the government.
i've never heard of this before moving to NJ though. why is it that this is needed in NJ? in PA, the fines in a construction zone are doubled, and the cops patrol often enough that it's just assumed that there's a good chance that a cop is nearby a construction zone. i wouldn't dare speed or drive wrecklessly through a construction zone.

i hate to do it, i really do, but there are just so many balls lobbed in the air to hit homeruns with when it comes to questioning the idiocy of NJ....why do drivers in NJ not get it? the method of driving in this state costs us all a FORTUNE in time and money.

it's like, NJ drivers need a cop standing every mile on every road to not do stupid ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey