Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
"All races welcome"
"(sorry no Indians)"
Sorry, I had to post again..................................... WOW!!!!!
But New Jersey has "impolite" people (who speak up in the face of outright lies). So I guess that balances the whole no Indians thing out. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I almost don't know where to begin, but I'll just cite the most obvious. There is a considerable crime problem in New Jersey and the public schools are, well, not so great. Singapore is probably the safest place in the world to live and has wonderful schools. It is clean and orderly and everything seems to work as it should. People stand politely in lines without complaint and are courteous. Housing in Singapore is pricey, but good sections of New Jersey will be as high or higher. IMHO your ethnicity will be accepted without question in Singapore which has large numbers of ethnic Indians.
Please don't rely on my post, and do much research before making such an important decision. I have to qualify my advice by admitting that I have never lived in New Jersey, but have worked in Singapore. If I had the means, Singapore would be my choice of residence.
You have never lived in NJ but you know enough about it to tell somebody to not live there.

Great advise.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM

22 posts, read 61,146 times
Quote:
What exactly makes Singapore's education system so special? Don't they use that European system where students are put on tracks? The only country that matches the US when it comes to university level eduaction is Germany.
Put it this way... I went to an "ordinary" Singapore high school (read: public school, not even top in rankings), and when I came to MA for college, as a freshman I was already taking Calc III while most of the other kids are taking Pre-Calc or Calc I.

There's no arguing that IN GENERAL, the education system in Singapore is superior to U.S. schools. But of course, when it comes to research, it falls way behind (no "ivy leagues" and famous, world-class universities like MIT, etc). But as a university, NUS (and NTU for that matter) holds its ground pretty well.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You have never lived in NJ but you know enough about it to tell somebody to not live there.

Great advise.
It's "advice". "Advise" is a verb; but I didn't go to school in New Jersey, so it may be different there. I didn't tell them not to live in New Jersey; I gave my opinion and said my preference would be Singapore.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-26-2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
^That posting gave me a good chuckle

"All races welcome"
"(sorry no Indians)"

I have distant relatives in Malaysia, and they say it's hard to do business with ethnic Chinese if you're Indian.
This is true, the ethnic Chinese control Singapore, and there is a clear divide between Malays and Chinese there. As for the rental ad, there is no "Fairness in Housing" law in Singapore, so the rentor can legally specify who he will, or will not, rent to.
All factors should be examined and weighed. My choice would be Singapore, but New Jersey may be the better fit depending on the family's needs and priorities. Due diligence is advised before making a decision that will affect the entire family's future.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
It's "advice". "Advise" is a verb; but I didn't go to school in New Jersey, so it may be different there. I didn't tell them not to live in New Jersey; I gave my opinion and said my preference would be Singapore.
In comparison to what? A place you have no knowledge of?
If you like Singapore, fine...................... No skin off my back.
However, you decided to create a series unjustified claims you could not support. How exactly does New Jersey have a "crime problem" in comparison to the rest on the United States? How are its public schools lacking in comparison to the rest of the United States? Please enlighten the people who have intimate knowledge of said area.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
A place you have no knowledge of?
You assume a lot. I have never lived in New Jersey, but I do have some knowledge of it. Enough to have formed an opinion. I believe the postings here bashing me for my opinion will tell more than enough about New Jersey.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-27-2011 at 12:34 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
How exactly does New Jersey have a "crime problem" in comparison to the rest on the United States? How are its public schools lacking in comparison to the rest of the United States?
Again that pesky reading comprehension problem. The comparison was between Singapore and New Jersey, not New Jersey and the rest of the United States. Public School in America is pretty dismal overall. Crime in all large American cities is worse than Singapore.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Again that pesky reading comprehension problem. The comparison was between Singapore and New Jersey, not New Jersey and the rest of the United States. Public School in America is pretty dismal overall. Crime in all large American cities is worse than Singapore.
Singapore is a Major Drug city , its the JCT for Drugs in Asia and Oceania....and theres a growing gang problem.... Schools in NJ are = to European schools...

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Singapore is a Major Drug city , its the JCT for Drugs in Asia and Oceania....and theres a growing gang problem.... Schools in NJ are = to European schools...
Drug dealing carries the death penalty in Singapore. NJ schools being equal to European schools requires clarification: Germany for example, or Albania?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: