Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
Speak only after you've BEEN to and lived in Singapore, OK, mate?

Oh, and, re: stepping foot outside of the US, Mexico doesn't count.
why? has the US annexed Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM

262 posts, read 789,926 times
Since this is fast becoming a USA vs Asia thread (and as I said in a previous post, that is realy the question as well), and as someone who has lived equal time in Asia (India) and USA --

I have to say there is something unique about living in the USA (and especially BosWash which I intend to make my future home shortly). "Growing economy" is just that. USA was probably once the fastest growing economy. So do we start moving around based on which is currently the faster gowing one? (I realize the OP is choosing one curently. This comment is for the rest of us.)

Most of the rest of the world is a homogenous population. USA is very multi-cultural. So you may see a different set of problems in the USA that in other countries. I have come to realize what the nature of living in the USA is, and what issues come with it. Same goes with other countries, just that you will have a different set of issues to deal with.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 AM

4 posts, read 5,820 times
Thumbs up Definitely following the thread - still looking out for inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
Soms, More than a NJ vs. Singapore question, this is really a "living in Asia" vs. USA question. There are advantages and disadvantages. Not sure if you are still following this thread, if you are let me know, and some of us can give you the advantages of living in the US. You will probably be fine with in either place, but as someone born in India, I can say there are significant advantages to living in the US.

NJ folks who have never lived or visited Asia will have little to offer in this discussion. Someone mentioned how crowded NJ is. Compared to any other urban zone in the world, NJ is I think a piece of cake as far as density goes!

I am following the thread, pls give me inputs.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I don't know if you are going to get good responses here. What are the chances of people having lived in both being in an NJ thread? Possible but unlikely.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM

262 posts, read 789,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soms View Post
I am following the thread, pls give me inputs.
Soms, I prefer USA over Asia. I am from Chennai, India. But I have lived in the US for many years.

First the economic aspect: After much intropsection on this topic of USA over Asia, this is my conclusion: As of now, the googles, facebooks, innovation (Gillette has a wonderful razor that I just recently tried, it has a battery, and completely changed my outlook on the dreaded topic...) is happening in the USA. As long as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc. are churning out the geniuses, the USA will be the stronger country. None of that seems to be changing yet in favor of Asia.

Now the social aspect: If you are an open minded person. Willing to make friends with non-Indians (eventually. Or your kids will make friends with non-Indians.) you will be happier in the US. If you think you will surround yourself with your country-mates I think you may be better off staying closer to home. This is a long term issue. In the short term, you will be OK anywhere. I was brought up quite conservative in India, but now I am quite comfortable with anyone in the US. This is a long term issue. If you are only thinking about 1-2 years in the US, dont worry about any of these.

Different parts of the world grow faster at different times. One day it was Europe, then it was the US, then it was south of US, now it is Asia. But after all this, Europe is a wonderful place -- I would say the people there are the happiest! So I think one has to have a long term vision about these things. No point spending 15 years in the US, then going back home to India for whatever reason.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 PM

264 posts, read 606,069 times
Excellent points by athensvaasi. What is the time horizon OP has in mind?
I like it here in the US, but there have been times, esp when we first moved here, that I wished I was closer to India, like Singapore! So that I could make more frequent trips to see family! And the winter took a few years to get used to. But now, NJ is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: