Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 32,962 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been searching around Bergen County (live in Westchester currently) and have come across Maywood, New Milford and River Edge as interesting towns that may work for me in terms of prices and proximity to NY. I intend on sending my kids to Catholic school so instead of schools, my most important factors are in family-friendliness, safety and shopping. Would you strike out any of these three towns right off the bat? My budget is in the 340-390K range. I know there are homes in a much higher range in these areas as well, so I am wondering if homes in my price range may not be so attractive to begin with in regards to types of neighbors and/or crime.

Also, I am confused as to seeing prices for what looks like decent-looking homes in Maywood in the low-300K range. Is there anything wrong with the town or the other two if I see prices in this range? Any areas to avoid in any of these towns? In southern Westchester, any home less than 400K is in a war zone, has terrible schools or some other obvious reason why its priced that way.

Any opinions? I greatly appreciate it!

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
I think River Edge is regarded as the nicest of the three you listed, but if you are using Catholic schools, I wouldn't care so much since that is all school-related. I don't think low 300s is a warning sign of anything these days, there are lots of houses in lots of towns in that price range now.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM

So other than the schools, is crime, family-friendliness, etc similar in the towns? I was afraid that the lower price range was a red flag. Makes me feel better! Are all the towns similar in makeup regarding types of families, any snob factor, etc? Thanks.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_nyc View Post
So other than the schools, is crime, family-friendliness, etc similar in the towns? I was afraid that the lower price range was a red flag. Makes me feel better! Are all the towns similar in makeup regarding types of families, any snob factor, etc? Thanks.
Well, I think New Milford and Maywood are kind of in the same bracket. River Edge is in a different, higher-income bracket. But I think New Milford and Maywood are fine, especially if you are using Catholic schools.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Almost every town in Bergen is going to be safe, family friendly, and have ample shopping (not in town, but, Paramus is within an easy drive of everywhere). Prices are high (and your budget might be too low for River Edge and possibly New Milford if you don't want your kids sharing a room [but if you can find a house you like in either inside budget -- maybe possible now -- either would work well for you]), but, you do get a significant quality/price discount from Westchester for having to cross over the Hudson to reach the city .

I'd say, choose what school(s) you're interested in, find the nearby town(s) with the house you want in your budget, and you'll be fine.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM

All great responses, thanks greatly! I figured there would be a commuting discount due to the bridge, but that commute is OK since I would drive to work pretty early (leave by 5:30AM usually.) The taxes seem more reasonable as well.

Are Maywood and New Milford considered blue collar to a large or small extent? Any idea on the makeup of the towns? I assume both their downtowns are small as per ALack's shopping comment. Hope there are some supermarkets around homes I find (and maybe a pub or two!)

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM

292 posts, read 718,553 times
I would say both are lower middle-class towns. Downtown Maywood is lovely, but the houses are very close together. River Edge is nice, but more expensive. Maywood does have a grocery store, but you'd have to drive to Hackensack to find a pub.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_nyc View Post
Are Maywood and New Milford considered blue collar to a large or small extent? Any idea on the makeup of the towns? I assume both their downtowns are small as per ALack's shopping comment. Hope there are some supermarkets around homes I find (and maybe a pub or two!)
Not necessarily a safe assumption; I've never felt the need to go to either's downtown for any reason -- and any serious shopping you are doing will be in Paramus -- but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a supermarket and, yes, maybe a pub or two, either within town or one over from wherever.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM

I didn't think they would be considered lower middle class, maybe I thought "middle" middle class if that makes sense. Can anyone think of a reason why one would possibly *not* live in one of these towns? Great reponses so far!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM

469 posts, read 1,639,873 times
#1 reason for Maywood is Hackensack High School, which may be changing so if they do decide they are sending kids to Paramus (which is more affordable and a better education) I would recommend that because housing prices will go up. I feel as though some parts of Maywood have become a little "ghetto" recently. So this change may be just what is needed knock on wood. New Milford is probably the largest of the three, Maywood being the smallest. If you are able to find a decent home in the upper section of River Edge close to Oradell, that is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey