Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:50 PM

64 posts, read 170,225 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I normally just lurk in this forum and don't post much, but now I am in need of some assistance....

I would like to move from Queens to NJ. I am looking to purchase a co-op/condo. Budget is roughly $300k - $350k maximum.

I looked in Secaucus at a few Harmon Cove units, but the maintenance is quite high there, so that definitely lowers my buying power.

Any nice and safe areas with a quick and easy commute to midtown west side?

Lastly, I currently do not own a car and would prefer not to have to get one immediately, so I'd prefer areas that you can walk to shopping and restaurants. That's another reason why Harmon Cove didn't fit too well, since there's no major supermarket within walking distance.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
Some affordable coops and condos in Montclair but the monthly is high. Nice 2BR walk to everything in doorman building $325k, but looking at 8500 in taxes and 675/mn common charge.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, maintenance combined with the property taxes does come out to quite a bit.

But, I will browse the real estate listings for Montclair properties. How long does it take to get into NYC?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 PM

262 posts, read 841,184 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...nutley-nj.html

Not sure how close a super market is, but there is Target somewhere in the area (haven't driven through area in years, so just going by memory).

Probably a lot cheaper than Montclair, but Montclair probably has a lot more stuff within easy walking distance.

http://www.zipcar.com can work out well for someone who only infrequently needs a car, but don't see many cars in upper NJ (seem mainly closer to NYC).

Last edited by mshan242709; 04-27-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks, how long does it take via public transportation to get from Nutley into NYC?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM

262 posts, read 841,184 times
I have no idea (I would assume an hour or more till proven otherwise) because if it was a truly quick and easy commute into NYC, home and condo prices in that area would most likely be much higher than they are.

It is an area I researched several years ago when my sister was buying a condo, but her primary commute was to UMDNJ in Newark, NJ, so her priorities were different than yours.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Serious question: why?

If you're commuting into the city, and prefer not to have/use a car, why come to Jersey? Without a car your quality of living will go down. If you do break down and get one, the cost of living compared to the less fashionable parts of Brooklyn/Queens isn't that much hugely cheaper (keep in mind that for non-rich people, NJ property taxes are far worse than NYC income tax), unless you're specifically looking for a larger house/apartment or better schools.

Why you're looking to move would inform where you should consider moving to, and whether you should move at all.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Decamp has a bus from Nutley (#32) which claims to take 40-50min. Goes to Port Authority.

I agree with the above posters; if you don't want a car you're probably better off where you are. The places in NJ you can comfortably get by without a car are either way out of your range or highly undesirable.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all of the input everyone.

To be honest, my current commute is an hour each way. So, I started looking in uptown NYC to be closer to work, but everything that I liked was out of price range.

So, I thought going just over the water into NJ would be a possible option and would still provide a better commute. But, you're right, the car thing does make it tough.

What towns in NJ close to NYC can you get by without a car? Perhaps it's worth investigating those, but as you mentioned nybbler, those may still end up out of my price range.

Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM

16 posts, read 34,053 times
You might want to consider Morristown. It's a bit farther than some of the other towns recommended but has a great downtown including a very active arts center - Mayo Arts - right in town. There's also a multiplex movie theater in town, lots of great restaurants and an active bar scene on South Street. There are two supermarkets in town, one on the eastern end, the other on the western end, although one is Kings, which is expensive for everyday shopping. It's probably about an hour into Penn Station on the express trains, longer when the express isn't running. However, taxes are high (mine are over 9K) and my condo fees are $400. a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey