Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 AM

431 posts, read 942,613 times

Advertisements

Nest egg is missing for N.J. public worker retirees | NJ.com

I was reading this and did the math and raising taxes is the only way NJ can dig out of its current mess. As contractually state workers would still get their pensions if they are laid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
I read this in the second paragraph. I guess the state treasurer forgot to send in the payments for about 50 years.

New Jersey has promised $66.7 billion in medical benefits to future and current retirees, but has not set aside a single penny to pay for it, according to the study, which looked at 2009 financial data from all states.

And it's the workers fault that the state missed the payments for it's entire history.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
When Tom Kean was governor the State Health Care account for retirees was found to be over funded by $100 million. He used those funds to balance the State budget. That was my initial experience in the ways both republicans and democrats used phony accounting.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
But where were the unions all those years when the payments weren't being made? Why didn't they speak up? Why didn't they redo their contracts? Why didn't they take control of their own finances and say forget your pension plan that you're not funding anyway, we'll take our own contributions and set up 401K-type plans instead that we can control? They knew the payments weren't being made but they didn't say much in exchange for big raises at some points, because they knew they could just complain later on down the road when the underfunding would come to light.

As far as taxing enough to fill the gap, it's not politically viable. Any politician that tries to do it will be promptly voted out of office.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Ann- that is not true. The unions went to court to have the contributions made. The State hired actuaries that said the pensions were funded adequately for the next 40 years. The court ruled that the pensions are guaranteed however the legislature and governor can determine how to fund them on a year to year basis.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Nest egg is missing for N.J. public worker retirees | NJ.com

I was reading this and did the math and raising taxes is the only way NJ can dig out of its current mess. As contractually state workers would still get their pensions if they are laid off.
So it is your assertion that taxes in NJ are too low?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Ann- that is not true. The unions went to court to have the contributions made. The State hired actuaries that said the pensions were funded adequately for the next 40 years. The court ruled that the pensions are guaranteed however the legislature and governor can determine how to fund them on a year to year basis.
I disagree. They were taking pay raise after pay raise during those years, but looking the other way on the pension funding.

Regardless, what happened in the past is irrelevant now. Taxes will never be raised enough to fund the liabilities now because it's not politically viable.

Current retirees will continue to lap it up on the backs of the current union workers who are still contributing, but the pols will just slowly keep chipping away at the future pensions and benefits.

If I was a young teacher or other public worker, I would get the heck out and try to get a job in the private sector and keep my own money as best I could. It will never be the way it was again.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Current retirees will continue to lap it up on the backs of the current union workers who are still contributing, but the pols will just slowly keep chipping away at the future pensions and benefits.
The "leave the system the way it is for current workers/retirees, change for new/young ones" is absolute poison. You continue to overcompensate people who aren't going anywhere, so you're still wasting a tremendous amount of money. Meanwhile, among the people who are far more mobile, they are going to be getting sub-private-sector wages, but without the old public benefits, creating a huge pressure for people capable of fleeing to private sector work to do so.

You might say "who cares," but, if you've ever worked at a company whose workforce has been shaped by years of below-average-job-specific wages, you'd understand the impact that has on organizations. Efficiency wages don't attract the best and the brightest (really they just motivate thus who luck into the job to work harder so not to lose it), but, underpayment really does attract/retain the laziest and dullest.

edit: it's hard to say what will happen with the hole the current system has, even despite implements the above terrible policy. Cutting benefits is illegal, but, raising taxes high enough to cover them would cost every resident about $50,000. Not worker - resident. So 50k for every child, adult, retiree, etc. in the whole state. No politician will, or should, survive long enough to implement taxes high enough long enough to raise that. So it's going to be a nasty and unpredictable collision between the legally nonviable (cutting benefits to current workers) and the politically nonviable (raising taxes high enough to cover).

Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM

431 posts, read 942,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
So it is your assertion that taxes in NJ are too low?
to low to sustain our state's expensive

Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 PM

I disagree. They were taking pay raise after pay raise during those years,- Ann - how many years do you think State workers had zero % increases in their contracts since 1992? No one was looking the other way on pension funding- the workers even agreed to raise their own contributions about 70%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey