Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

During the summer it could increase to 2hrs , factoring in the time it takes you to get to the Highway , Construction , and shore traffic. Even worse during the Holiday travels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM

43 posts, read 141,340 times
This is giving me second thoughts.

Maybe I should just live in Red Bank, it looks like it has a decent night life.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaintpancake View Post
This is giving me second thoughts.

Maybe I should just live in Red Bank, it looks like it has a decent night life.
Might not be the worst idea. My girlfriend grew up around there and I've gone down there with her several times, there are some pretty good places. Dublin House is a nice Irish bar that can get really packed some nights but is surprisingly still manageable, their food is great as well. Branigans is pretty good as well, cheap beers, no food though far as I know. It's a very walkable town as well. There's some also some loungey/club-sh places as well if that's more your scene, but I can't comment on em as it's not mine.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
After a few trips to NYC , you'll see everything , the cost of living is 2x more Hoboken then Red Bank.....Quality of life is better in Red Bank....you don't have to deal with the drunk New Yawkers on the weekends... Your also closer to the beach and a few nice state parks.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM

43 posts, read 141,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
After a few trips to NYC , you'll see everything , the cost of living is 2x more Hoboken then Red Bank.....Quality of life is better in Red Bank....you don't have to deal with the drunk New Yawkers on the weekends... Your also closer to the beach and a few nice state parks.
Well, the thing is, I would never see everything there is to see in NYC (or even Hoboken) by living in Red Bank. I've lived in and around Baltimore since 2002, and I could only <really> tell you everything there is to know about 1 or maybe 2 neighborhoods. My girlfriend is also planning on moving to the area in a few months, and I would really like her to get to experience NYC. It's also likely that her job will be in NYC.

I've been following traffic.com for a few days, and at least right now it's indicating around 50 minutes in the morning, and similar in the evening.

I am really still on the fence about it. I might just get a place in Hoboken and sublet it if the commute ends up murdering me. I have never commuted by train, but I could use the time to study for credentialing exams in my field.

Money isn't too much of an issue, either. Although, I might buy a Civic or Prius, if I decide the commute isn't so bad to save on gas.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 AM

31 posts, read 138,805 times
If you have a car, one option I have taken in the past during my reverse commute stints is to drive out Monday morning and leave the car at the destination - train or bus.

You have to find lots that allow overnight parking (e.g. NJTransit does in Denville which was my destination) and in general let the local PD know what you are doing. Informing the PD is typically not needed if you have a valid parking sticker on NJ Transit parking lots.

Then commute Monday evening through Friday morning on the train/bus and then bring the car back home on Friday evening. This works even better when you have two cars/family to drop/pick you off during those times when you have left the car behind for the evenings. I even had some colleagues buy a second junker just to do that; when the local shuttle service to/from the station to the office was disrupted.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
A Bus would be slower then a train due to the construction along US 1/9 and the Turnpike. And heading back to Hoboken during the evening is gridlocked...
THE BUS IS FROM NYC NOT HOBOKEN!!!! I was on it I know what I am talking about its sometimes faster to backtrack on 126 then use academy however the train is the most frequent option. The only time when train is faster is if its an express train other than that its faster to use academy from NYC use rtes before you speak of them. I used both the train and bus options and the bus goes faster than cars sometimes don't preach what you dont know kid

Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airace View Post
If you have a car, one option I have taken in the past during my reverse commute stints is to drive out Monday morning and leave the car at the destination - train or bus.

You have to find lots that allow overnight parking (e.g. NJTransit does in Denville which was my destination) and in general let the local PD know what you are doing. Informing the PD is typically not needed if you have a valid parking sticker on NJ Transit parking lots.

Then commute Monday evening through Friday morning on the train/bus and then bring the car back home on Friday evening. This works even better when you have two cars/family to drop/pick you off during those times when you have left the car behind for the evenings. I even had some colleagues buy a second junker just to do that; when the local shuttle service to/from the station to the office was disrupted.
best suggestion yet!!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaintpancake View Post
Well, the thing is, I would never see everything there is to see in NYC (or even Hoboken) by living in Red Bank. I've lived in and around Baltimore since 2002, and I could only <really> tell you everything there is to know about 1 or maybe 2 neighborhoods. My girlfriend is also planning on moving to the area in a few months, and I would really like her to get to experience NYC. It's also likely that her job will be in NYC.

I've been following traffic.com for a few days, and at least right now it's indicating around 50 minutes in the morning, and similar in the evening.

I am really still on the fence about it. I might just get a place in Hoboken and sublet it if the commute ends up murdering me. I have never commuted by train, but I could use the time to study for credentialing exams in my field.

Money isn't too much of an issue, either. Although, I might buy a Civic or Prius, if I decide the commute isn't so bad to save on gas.
Train is the most versitile as the rail pass gets you use on ALL NJT services the trick is to figure out the zone number. Then apply that number to a NYP pass. so you can use 126 into the city on weekends when ur not using the train. find out the zone number for newark to red bank then get a NYP pass with the same value and zone number this lets u pay less and travel more I did it it works

Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Yeah summer shore traffic is HUGE thing to consider. It will almost 24/7 on the Parkway and Turnpike. The sight of bumper to bumper to traffic when approaching the Driscoll Bridge is enough to bring even the hardest of souls to tears.
It makes ppl go INSANE!!!!! They need more EXPRESS TRAINS period when even a bus moves faster you know ur going too slow!!!!! especially 319 and 137 regional buses they need a busway or some type of HOV on garden state and NJTPK badly at least in the summer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey