Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,348,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i don't know, but that's been the case forever. that mobil? station at the intersection of old new brunswick rd and south randolphville rd has been 10-30% more expensive since i started working around there, in 1989!
anyone that has a smartphone should download the free "gasbuddy" application. it's awesome for when you are in an area like that, with a few expensive stations.

usually, it's because you're near a major hub where interstates connect (lots of on/off traffic grabbing gas cause they have to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 AM

23,365 posts, read 17,045,178 times
Low tax gas is a peace offering for tolerating rampant graft, incompetence, leagl and illegal corruption by elected officials.

Refineries and Hess oil tanks in the backyard might help.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,025,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Low tax gas is a peace offering for tolerating rampant graft, incompetence, leagl and illegal corruption by elected officials.

Refineries and Hess oil tanks in the backyard might help.
The Hess near me is consistantly 5 to 10 cents cheaper than other brands and they don't upcharge for credit.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,951,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Hess near me is consistantly 5 to 10 cents cheaper than other brands and they don't upcharge for credit.
... which means that they are upcharging for cash.

Hey, I'm not complaining, since I charge too, but someone has to pay for the credit card fees that the station pays.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,532,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

Hey, I'm not complaining, since I charge too, but someone has to pay for the credit card fees that the station pays.
You're right. I generally charge as I have a card that gives me 5% back on gas purchases, but the stations that do same price cash or credit are always 2-4 cents higher than the cash price at stations that offer separate cash and credit prices.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM

16,950 posts, read 12,505,588 times
>Nexis3Jersey is correct. Our gasoline tax is too low. We should haave raised the tax to make it one of the most expensive gasoline states, but our government seems to fail to realize this. <

Wrong. Due to the extreme expense, people are forced to live further from work. Safe areas of Bergen, Essex, Hudson co have incredibly high housing costs. W Orange is a perfect example of inanely expensive but somewhat safe relatively close to work places city.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
i refuse to patronize a business with the two prices (cash and credit). also...psychologically speaking, i can't buy hess gas because of the rumors that they diluted it more years ago...granted...i know this is virtually impossible to be true...but i don't like Hess lol

Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

not to steer completely off course...but the reason businesses accept credit cards is to attract more business. the studies show that people show up more often, and spend more money....at merchants that accept credit. the transaction fee is a cost of doing business, that should result in an increase in business.

so it's not exactly correct to say people paying cash are being upcharged to cover the merchant fees.

there's a station i drive by everyday on my way home that accepts cash only. they hardly ever have someone there, even though they are cheaper, except the day where everything is 10 cents off (tuesdays).

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You're right. I generally charge as I have a card that gives me 5% back on gas purchases, but the stations that do same price cash or credit are always 2-4 cents higher than the cash price at stations that offer separate cash and credit prices.
i don't find that true in my area. the station i go to is actually 4 cents less than every other price in my area, including the cash only spot. plus, the 5% i get back would more than make up for a 2-4 cent difference...

Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,951,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i refuse to patronize a business with the two prices (cash and credit).
That's certainly your choice. Do you pay with credit card? If the station has 1 price, cash customers are subsidizing the credit card customers.

The fees make a real difference to gas operators because their margins are thin. And the effect only gets worse with higher gas prices -- they try to make a certain gross profit per gallon sold, so (ignoring fees for now) they typically make about the same gross profir at $2/gallon or $4/gallon.... BUT the credit card fees are a percentage of the purchase price (not gallons), so those fees grow quickly with price hikes even though they are selling the same number of gallons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey