Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 AM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times

Advertisements

Just in case anyone was interested, there are several Norkus Foodtown stores closing. A good majority of the store is 50% off prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
I thought Stop&Shop was taking over Foodtown? Did deal fall thru?
Stop & Shop May Buy Norkus Foodtown - Toms River, NJ Patch

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah, its still in effect but i guess stop n shop will start with an empty store and no merchandise because they will probably be closed for a while during the switch

Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
The Foodtowns I've been in in NJ are generally really gross inside. I'm hoping Stop & Shop gives a good cleaning and a makeover to whatever stores they end up buying.

I'm kind of surprised how many empty grocery stores there are around considering we don't have Wal-Mart Supercenters in NJ (or Super Targets for that purpose.) I know a lot of the places sell food now (ie CVS, most discount stores etc) and Target in particular has increased their grocery offerings but I don't see the massive competition that would drive the grocery chains out. I grew up in PA and worked in a Wal-Mart Supercenter and when that store opened (massive thing with a full supermarket inside) it DID cause a few of the local chains to go under due to the competition. I just don't see how Target even with expanded grocery offerings can do that since I would think most people would still need to go to something that qualifies as a grocery store (even if it's Wegman's/Whole Foods/Trader Joe's etc) for the rest of their stuff.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM

There were some things i shopped for at Foodtown but the prices were a little high. They do have a rundown feel to them. I am sure Stop N Shop will completely renovate the place. As for Super Walmart in NJ, there are a couple in south Jersey and the one in Neptune is converting into a supercenter as well as the store in Freehold on Rt. 537 . The one in Freehold is almost done with the conversion and is pretty nice. I personally dont care too much to get my groceries at Walmart. I find that Aldi is so much cheaper.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 AM

188 posts, read 414,352 times
The Walmart in Neptune has already converted. I think another part of the reason is so much competition. Near the now Super Walmart there is also a 2 Shop Rites, Wegmans, 3 Foodtowns (flagship store and two others), Costco, BJ's, Deans Natural Food Market, Aldi, and a Target Greatland (which added more groceries). Shop & Stop wanted to build a store here, but was turned down. There was a smaller Foodtown which did close as did a local Pathmark.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Pathmark and Foodtown...Both ancient companies who never adapted very well. Both should be out of business soon for good.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Pathmark and Foodtown...Both ancient companies who never adapted very well. Both should be out of business soon for good.
I dunno about that fully, the Pathmark in Edgewater seems to be doing just fine.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Pathmark was formed circa 1966 by a group of disgruntled Shop-Rite franchise owners. If you consider a company founded in the mid-late 1960s to be...ancient...how would you classify A & P, which goes back to 1869, IIRC?

That being said, I think that Pathmark's downfall was when they made a corporate decision to become the "ghetto grocer". They opened the only supermarket in the Central Ward of Newark, and they also opened stores in...dodgy locations...in NYC. The "shrinkage" and related security costs ate into their bottom line severely, and they had to borrow money to stay afloat. They borrowed "at the top of the market", unfortunately, and the interest costs just sank them.

Later, Pathmark was bought-out by A & P, a company that had its own severe fiscal problems. This was an alliance of the sick and the sicker, and the result was...not good. Many store closings were the result, with more than one series of closings.

Foodtown's big problem was that they were systematically looted by their Mafioso CEO for many years, and he--literally--bled the company dry.

But, to return to my original point--do you really think that a corporation that was formed in the 1960s qualifies as "ancient"?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:

Agree about Pathmark. It used to be decent, but it seems to be getting worse and worse, and they've now started to bring down A&P pretty bad. (Has anyone looked at the A&P and Pathmark flyers over the past few weeks? No-Frills, 4 page flyers with cheapo ink and paper. They must REALLY be hurting.)

But Foodtowns vary pretty wildly in quality. The Foodtown in North Haledon expanded/remodeled about three years ago and it is a very nice, modern, attractive, clean store. Their deli has been run by a trained chef for many years and he makes some great stuff, most of which is reasonably priced. Their grocery prices, while not quite on par with Shop-Rite, are also generally good. They seem to do pretty good business, and I don't see them folding anytime soon. The other Foodtowns should really pay a visit to this store to see how it's done properly.

Now Stop & Shop... that's a supermarket chain I truly can't stand. I dislike them more than Pathmark, A&P, even more than C-Town. I'd even take a circa 1980 Grand Union over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey