Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

NJ Starting Second Phase of Parkway Widening | Mobilizing the Region

Well if traffic won't solved by this , then its time to accelerate the MOM network which would only cost 540 Million $$$ Full build and Serve over 120,000+. With Gas going up , i think its better to invest in something that bring results and jobs to a growing part of the state. 2 Tracks can handle the same amount and more of a 6 lane highway.....every 10 years there going to have to expand the Parkway or Turnpike if something isn't done. No towns are opposing the MOM network now , so just fast track that and few other lines...most of the studies are completed...

Last edited by DarkWolf; 05-05-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2 Tracks can handle the same amount and more of a 6 lane highway.....every 10 years there going to have to expand the Parkway or Turnpike if something isn't done.
The problem with rail is that if you can't get to/from anywhere from the rail station, it's a useless dead end.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The problem with rail is that if you can't get to/from anywhere from the rail station, it's a useless dead end.
120,000 , through a growing region....i guess thats not enough....most the 120,000 already use Regional Buses and the North Jersey Coast line. Most of the stations will be built in the cores of the towns with some large park and rides... All you need is 2 tracks , Electrification , New Stations and some modifications to the Northeast corridor and North Jersey Coast line. The area will start to become dense if this grow rate continues and it will...then what? 2 Decades from now , Central Jersey will be as Dense are North Jersey.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Biggest problem is that we have huge corporate centers that are nowhere near public transportation. Take me for example. I live in Edison, I work near Parsippany. In order for me to get to my office without driving...its a 5-6 block walk to the bus stop, then the train to newark, the subway to north station, train to morristown or dover, then bus to get close, then another 6-7 block walk. Under the best of conditions, this costs me over $30 round trip and takes over 2 hours. OR, I can leave a little early, stay a little late and drive here in 45-50 minutes and only spend an average of $14/day (my car is paid off). Hmmm safe, dry, convenient, AND cheaper will win every day!!!

Trains are not ALWAYS the answer.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Well if they can take 120,000 people off the roads , thats pretty good. Of course there not the complete answer , but neither is widening the roads over and over again. The Corporate centers seem to be moving near train stations at least in the Suburbs or into the Urban areas. Our Suburbs are becoming Dense , so theres going to be a Need for a Complete Transportation plan....Roads are in there , but to a lesser extent. Of course if you lived in Edison and worked in Parsippany a car is your best bet. A Train wouldn't make sense , but the majority of Tri-state area residents work in Urban Areas or Dense Suburbs , so theres a major need for more Transit. NJ has official fallen behind compared to NY or CT in terms of preparing for future growth.... We are in the middle of a Megapolis and thats not going away.... Most Transit groups and people who push for Transit in the Suburbs carter it towards the population who commutes to Urban Areas or 20miles + everyday....not to the neighboring town.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Biggest problem is that we have huge corporate centers that are nowhere near public transportation. Take me for example. I live in Edison, I work near Parsippany. In order for me to get to my office without driving...its a 5-6 block walk to the bus stop, then the train to newark, the subway to north station, train to morristown or dover, then bus to get close, then another 6-7 block walk. Under the best of conditions, this costs me over $30 round trip and takes over 2 hours. OR, I can leave a little early, stay a little late and drive here in 45-50 minutes and only spend an average of $14/day (my car is paid off). Hmmm safe, dry, convenient, AND cheaper will win every day!!!

actually its $233 per month u see the rail pass lets u use ALL NJT services!!! including bus and subway. and since ur longest trip is newark to edison that is the monthly u get. It works on morristown trains too all up to the number of zones. so ur cost argument falls flat however the trip is over 2 hours or u get lucky and get express trains!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well if they can take 120,000 people off the roads , thats pretty good. Of course there not the complete answer , but neither is widening the roads over and over again. The Corporate centers seem to be moving near train stations at least in the Suburbs or into the Urban areas. Our Suburbs are becoming Dense , so theres going to be a Need for a Complete Transportation plan....Roads are in there , but to a lesser extent. Of course if you lived in Edison and worked in Parsippany a car is your best bet. A Train wouldn't make sense , but the majority of Tri-state area residents work in Urban Areas or Dense Suburbs , so theres a major need for more Transit. NJ has official fallen behind compared to NY or CT in terms of preparing for future growth.... We are in the middle of a Megapolis and thats not going away.... Most Transit groups and people who push for Transit in the Suburbs carter it towards the population who commutes to Urban Areas or 20miles + everyday....not to the neighboring town.
That is NJT's weakness and the reason why ppl drive lack of intra state service. However I created a plan that addresses this problem head on.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post

OR u can use the train to newark and use 79 the 79 goes directly to parsippany!!!! O dint I mention its express too. By the way the real mass transit commute is really 1 hour and 27 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!! for only $233 a month!!!! who knew the 6:15 am train is express to newark from edison then you chase down the bus plaza in the station to the 6:49 am departure of 79 1 hour later ur at work looks like mass transit isnt as slow as u thought a little research goes a long way!!!! dont believe me click the links and see for ur self http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf and http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0079.pdf by the way the 79 sometimes arrives early so watch out the same monthly pass used on train works on this bus and only one transfer needed. I am busmaster for a reason!!!!! The 79 may even stop at ur work site. ur calculations are pay per ride and therefore inaccurate. by the way $233 divided by 30= less than ($14 per day=car) so $30 round trip ur already paying too much and using NJT wrong. The $233 monthly to newark is about $8 per day!!!! and works on all NJT routes except NY bound buses from and too NY however valid for intrastate travel!!! and only one transfer needed

Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
The problem is really that when a bus/train (or several bus transfers) are longer than driving, no one's going to want to drive - no matter the savings. It might be technically cheaper to take that bus into Newark and then change to a Parsippany bus but that's annoying and I'm pretty certain that's a longer trip than driving most days.

NJ Transit is great if you want to get into NYC or Newark - but going from one part of the state to another is a complete crapshoot. It's good if you live/work off the same train line (or there's some kind of easy transit from the train station to your office - ie, shuttle, quick bus trip etc) but there's a LOT of suburban office complexes that really aren't transit convenient - Parsippany is a great example of this and Piscataway is another.

Let me back up to give a very real example of why most people just end up driving. Back around 2005 I lived in Caldwell and worked right across from the train station in Union at the SP site there. I looked into taking the train because it seemed silly NOT to when the train let off literally where I worked. It seemed like a great solution to not have to deal with the parkway every day. I quickly found it wasn't really a doable solution.

My options were thus:
1) I could've taken the bus from my apartment down Bloomfield Ave to one of the Montclair train stations then taken the train into Newark Broad St - then catch a bus across town to Newark Penn where I would change to the Raritan Valley Line (note this was before the Newark Light Rail was completed so at that time there was NO way between the two stations other than bus.)

2) I could've driven to the furthest Newark LR station - Grove St. which has free parking (or did then) then take the light rail all the way into Penn and transfer to the RVL. Not counting driving this was probably close to an hour

3) I could try to park illegally at a Montclair station or pay for private parking and then either do one of the scenarios described above or take the train all the way into Secaucus to transfer to an outgoing NE Corridor or NJCL train to transfer at Penn to the RVL.

All of these options were then about 1 1/2 hours door to door. Even on the WORST traffic conditions driving I-280 to the Parkway seldom took me that long. Sure, I'm sure people will point out that I lived in a town without a train station but even if I lived in say, Montclair or South Orange (two towns I often took the train from when I went into the city) I STILL would've had a tough time getting to Union via transit and odds are it still would've been easier to drive.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
The problem is really that when a bus/train (or several bus transfers) are longer than driving, no one's going to want to drive - no matter the savings. It might be technically cheaper to take that bus into Newark and then change to a Parsippany bus but that's annoying and I'm pretty certain that's a longer trip than driving most days.

NJ Transit is great if you want to get into NYC or Newark - but going from one part of the state to another is a complete crapshoot. It's good if you live/work off the same train line (or there's some kind of easy transit from the train station to your office - ie, shuttle, quick bus trip etc) but there's a LOT of suburban office complexes that really aren't transit convenient - Parsippany is a great example of this and Piscataway is another.

Let me back up to give a very real example of why most people just end up driving. Back around 2005 I lived in Caldwell and worked right across from the train station in Union at the SP site there. I looked into taking the train because it seemed silly NOT to when the train let off literally where I worked. It seemed like a great solution to not have to deal with the parkway every day. I quickly found it wasn't really a doable solution.

My options were thus:
1) I could've taken the bus from my apartment down Bloomfield Ave to one of the Montclair train stations then taken the train into Newark Broad St - then catch a bus across town to Newark Penn where I would change to the Raritan Valley Line (note this was before the Newark Light Rail was completed so at that time there was NO way between the two stations other than bus.)

2) I could've driven to the furthest Newark LR station - Grove St. which has free parking (or did then) then take the light rail all the way into Penn and transfer to the RVL. Not counting driving this was probably close to an hour

3) I could try to park illegally at a Montclair station or pay for private parking and then either do one of the scenarios described above or take the train all the way into Secaucus to transfer to an outgoing NE Corridor or NJCL train to transfer at Penn to the RVL.

All of these options were then about 1 1/2 hours door to door. Even on the WORST traffic conditions driving I-280 to the Parkway seldom took me that long. Sure, I'm sure people will point out that I lived in a town without a train station but even if I lived in say, Montclair or South Orange (two towns I often took the train from when I went into the city) I STILL would've had a tough time getting to Union via transit and odds are it still would've been easier to drive.
actually I said express train then bus meaning one train and one bus not 2 buses. actually getting to union from bloomfield ave only one bus its called 94!!!! but this case driving is faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey