Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:00 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,625,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This post is so reminscent of members of my family/friends etc. Many in NJ have an extremely provincial view of the world, thinking there is no other place worth living within a 30 mile radius of their neighborhood. It's quite frustrating. Bergen County residents are doubly guilty of that stigma. Many think anyone who lives south of the Raritan River, for instance, have no teeth, the usual stereotypes, etc. You are choosing your immediate family over possessions, the 'we've been so busy keeping up with the Joneses, four car garage and we're still building on' mentality. My wife and I made the conscious choice, too, like Diane, to get out. And what it comes down to, it's not the best pork roll or best pizza or distance to the nearest mall that's going to pay your bills for you. You have to look out for your own, ultimately, the tangible factors in your life, immediate family topping the list. I wish you all the luck in the world with your move. You'll be just fine.

You are sooo right! I was born and raised in Bergen County, I once read that people in Bergen County never leave...most die less than 10 miles from where they were born and grew up! There is life outside of expensive New Jersey but there are always tradeoffs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:14 AM

474 posts, read 1,255,182 times
Default Like Two Different States!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I too am a Jersey native but am from the southern part of the state. Here, too, is traffic and I'm sure a good share of thug kids, but I think this area is a bit easier to live in than the northern part of the state. Taxes and housing prices are lower (not low, but everyone in Jersey knows that), and you can easily get away from it all in less than an hour. The proximity to Philadelphia ensures opportunities for the arts, and there are fabulous restaurants in this part of the state. The location is good as well for other areas, with NYC, DC, Baltimore, the Poconos, and the shore about 2 hours away. We have civic pride, farmers markets, cafes, and parks. The only thing I don't like about NJ is the taxes, which are ridiculous. But you can't have it all.
I've lived in both areas and soon became aware of why South Jersey wanted to secede and form its own state. The differences between the two sections of NJ are like night and day. Whenever the general public thinks of New Jersey, they visualize the Northern half, and it is also the one constantly shown by the media as "New Jersey".

Anyone traveling south of Bordentown/Vincentown soon realizes the change in terrain, atmosphere etc. It is pleasant, slower paced and somewhat rural (though unfortunately, that part is disappearing at an unbelievable pace). The drawback are the low salaries once one leaves a big city area, and even the lower cost of living does not make up for the discrepancy.

It is difficult to watch South Jersey fall under the attack of bulldozers but, alas, that is what is happening. Perhaps the only surviving area will be the marshes at the bottom of Cumberland County, close to the Delaware Bay. It's the only place where putting up houses, subdivisions, condos etc. is impossible.

But I wish more people would understand that New Jersey is not the paved over, often putrid mess as portrayed on TV and in the movies. South Jersey deserves to be recognized for the kinder, gentler place it really is. Those who only travel the Turnpike up around Newark have no idea what lies below Trenton. It would certainly surprise them!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 AM

93 posts, read 306,486 times
Default Best thing I ever did - move out!

I hope some of you do get the courage to move out of New Jersey. I understand being born and bred in the state. I was born and bred in NJ and lived there for 45 years. The cost of living drove me out of the garden state and there is just too many people.

I took the chance as a woman alone and I am so glad I did. I live in Texas now and am very happy. I miss some things about Jersey and still consider myself a Jersey girl but I am so thrilled about living here and the cost of living, cost of insurance, etc, etc., is fantastic. Take the chance people, its worth it!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,340,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I've lived in both areas and soon became aware of why South Jersey wanted to secede and form its own state. The differences between the two sections of NJ are like night and day. Whenever the general public thinks of New Jersey, they visualize the Northern half, and it is also the one constantly shown by the media as "New Jersey".

Anyone traveling south of Bordentown/Vincentown soon realizes the change in terrain, atmosphere etc. It is pleasant, slower paced and somewhat rural (though unfortunately, that part is disappearing at an unbelievable pace). The drawback are the low salaries once one leaves a big city area, and even the lower cost of living does not make up for the discrepancy.

It is difficult to watch South Jersey fall under the attack of bulldozers but, alas, that is what is happening. Perhaps the only surviving area will be the marshes at the bottom of Cumberland County, close to the Delaware Bay. It's the only place where putting up houses, subdivisions, condos etc. is impossible.

But I wish more people would understand that New Jersey is not the paved over, often putrid mess as portrayed on TV and in the movies. South Jersey deserves to be recognized for the kinder, gentler place it really is. Those who only travel the Turnpike up around Newark have no idea what lies below Trenton. It would certainly surprise them!
I agree that the Southern Part there is pretty and people there are also less pushy and acually smile. My newer neighbors in Manalapan all seemed to have a sour look on their face. Maybe it was from SI where they moved from.
The only problem with South Jersey is the comute to NYC, as it was bad enough from Central NJ.
One day we had a talk abter with traffic on the bus it took him 2 1/2 hours to get home. His office was in NYC, but their main office was in Nashville, Tn.
Now, HE Had a choice and it was a no brainer, Live in NJ and pay high taxes and maybe one day die on the bus home from pure exhaustion or transfer to TN at same salary, no state income tax, and settle in the dream house that I would not buy in NJ because the taxes alone would kill us.
Family? Only my sister was left in Long Island. Both our parents were gone, a few 3rd cousins in Lincoln Park, NJ. My son who lived with us before we moved, but stayed? He will move here but it will be 2 years instead of the 1 he told me. Her mom will retire by then and move also, Jameburg is turning into little mexico. The rest of our family has moved to Florida where we do not want to go.
So Nashville, is now our home

Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM

474 posts, read 1,255,182 times
We are leaving just a few relatives behind. Still, I will miss them terribly. But when it comes down to sheer survival, one is left with no choice.

On the bright side, my husband already has 3 job offers. Lower pay but when we did the arithmetic it took only two entries (property taxes and electric) to take us into the "black". Also prettier environment, starting afresh (lots of very sad memories here) makes it into an adventure. The only problem is I need to find the appropriate medical care for my conditions, but I'm working on that.

Wherever we go, we will make the best of it. I believe that one's mindset is probably the most important aspect of the whole relocation. I figure I'll be able to meet new friends if I go to the local public library alot, since those are the types of people who are most likely to share common interests (reading, writing, intellectual discussions). Yes, I'll be lonely, but it's the same way here. I'll just be lonely somewhere else with a prettier view, hopefully for just a short time! Since Roanoke has basically the same stores I'm used to in NJ, at least shopping will be familiar.

Jamesburg is turning into little Mexico???? It shows how long I have been away from the Northern part of the state (actually, Central, isn't it?). Last time I was there way back in the early '80s to see a big horse show. It was lovely. How very sad.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:42 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,585,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
We are leaving just a few relatives behind. Still, I will miss them terribly. But when it comes down to sheer survival, one is left with no choice.

On the bright side, my husband already has 3 job offers. Lower pay but when we did the arithmetic it took only two entries (property taxes and electric) to take us into the "black". Also prettier environment, starting afresh (lots of very sad memories here) makes it into an adventure. The only problem is I need to find the appropriate medical care for my conditions, but I'm working on that.

Wherever we go, we will make the best of it. I believe that one's mindset is probably the most important aspect of the whole relocation. I figure I'll be able to meet new friends if I go to the local public library alot, since those are the types of people who are most likely to share common interests (reading, writing, intellectual discussions). Yes, I'll be lonely, but it's the same way here. I'll just be lonely somewhere else with a prettier view, hopefully for just a short time! Since Roanoke has basically the same stores I'm used to in NJ, at least shopping will be familiar.

Jamesburg is turning into little Mexico???? It shows how long I have been away from the Northern part of the state (actually, Central, isn't it?). Last time I was there way back in the early '80s to see a big horse show. It was lovely. How very sad.
Good luck to you DAngel...........Let us know how you love your new location. I think you have a positive outlook. There area there is quite beautiful.
This really sounds like a good move for you. Find a few good libraries and some nice new friends..

Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,474,905 times
I am getting more and more excited to get out!!! I met my neighbors, and they stayed till 11 pm at night hanging and kicking back some beer NOT WINE like the high class Bergen COunty crowd. I stopped at a store and a hot biker started talking to me, not one guy in NJ every talks they are so afraid to talk to the women because they are confused on what to do. I cant wait!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM

17 posts, read 77,167 times
Jin,

I understand your feelings. But, have you tried looking in central or south Jersey? You can still visit NYC,get a decent wage, and have a safe environment for your child. I do agree with one of the other posts, though, that it is really difficult for a low to middle income family to afford the nicest towns. Good luck in your search for the perfect town to raise your family!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,059 times
Good luck with wherever you decide to move, I live in NJ also with my husband & daughters. We are considering Delaware, we are doing some research. I have to research the school ratings. They are 11 & 15, so I have to be careful now. I was born and raised in Phila. I do like NJ, but the property taxes can kill you.

Last edited by shashacarol; 08-12-2007 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: re-reading

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,920,049 times
The days of born and raised never leave are long long gone. For those who have much to leave behind this probably does take some courage. I have never looked at it that way. Interesting choice of word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey