Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,836,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
And the sad part is getting to these places is easy
Huh , what does this even have to do with the conversation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,337,469 times
Quote:
Everything in Newark has gone down hill in the past two years
How do you know? Have you been in any of the places I've mentioned other than the Heights or Downtown? The city ain't a few square miles...

Newport is good if you can afford it and desperately need to be so close to Manhattan.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Only the Upper Class can afford Newport....the Majority of the Middle Class in Urban Jersey lives in places like the Heights , Historic Downtown , Ironbound , Western part of Elizabeth , Western and Southern Part of Paterson , Hackensack.... Actually ive noticed Newark becoming nicer over the past 10 years.....all of Urban Jersey with the exception of Irvington ...even parts of Trenton and Camden have started to on the PATH to gentrification. Asbury Park is coming back and so is Long Branch.... The Waterfront is very white , and not that diverse at all and gives you a false sense of security....
I don't spend much time in Camden (other than for tweeter center or whatever it's been renamed to). That area makes Newark look safe. But Trenton is definately nicer than it used to be. I play at the West Trenton County Club and often go into downtown trenton with some guys from there.

I have a few rental properties in Newport... THey usually have multiple young adults sharing them. Their individual rent isn't too bad.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The "cities" in NJ have all had murders this year and previous years, so I dunno what are you getting at. And if by cities you mean suburbs, then the comparisons are insane, as you can't compare a minority-filled city with 280,000 to a white collar affluent town with barely 10,000.

And not for nothing, but with a city over 50% black, 25% poverty rate, and surrounded by the likes of East Orange, Irvington and Elizabeth, a murder-free calendar month isn't something to take likely and shrug off.

Complain to the state for funding it instead of blaming the city if it bothers you so much.
Crime rate in Newark went back up after they cut the police force.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,337,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Crime rate in Newark went back up after they cut the police force.
Um, no. It went back up since last spring before the layoffs. There were at least 30 murders last summer.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,624,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegirl20896 View Post
Is Newark a bad place to live? Crime etc.
besides the weekly shootings and poverty, not bad, the rest of the country is becoming just as poor, wouldn't live here for long term though.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,085,414 times
Quote:
We need a more credible source then that , and why are you even in the Jersey Forums?
We don't need a more credible source at all. Use his own medicine against him. That list has Newark up there LA, Miami and such. If the poster who provided the list really wants to make that his claim to fame I say let him.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,617,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The "cities" in NJ have all had murders this year and previous years, so I dunno what are you getting at. And if by cities you mean suburbs, then the comparisons are insane, as you can't compare a minority-filled city with 280,000 to a white collar affluent town with barely 10,000.

And not for nothing, but with a city over 50% black, 25% poverty rate, and surrounded by the likes of East Orange, Irvington and Elizabeth, a murder-free calendar month isn't something to take likely and shrug off.

Complain to the state for funding it instead of blaming the city if it bothers you so much.
Newark has a bad reputation because it was and is well deserved. 1996 Time magazine most dangerous city in the nation. The murder rate is at least double sometimes triple and more than a comparible city like Jersey City which has a population almost equal to Newarks. Jersey City also has a high poverty rate and a large black population also. So you think state funding will lower crime. The local folk along with the police have to lower crime. How did the increased state funding for Abbott do for the schools. Not too good. This is one city almost equal to Newark about 5 miles away. I would live in Jersey City and did for many years. I been to Newark numerous times.I wouldn't live there. Icould go on and on. Wait to the summer comes with 175 fewer cops, good luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,193,687 times
Quote:
Ive been all over the Northeast and Eastern Canadian....ive seen the good , the great , the bad and scary. Newark on a scale of 1 to 10 , is a 3 compared to Buffalo , Camden , North Philly , Baltimore , parts of Toronto , Parts of Montreal....
Parts of? Gotta compare city to city. Sure, North or (worse) Southwest Philadelphia is worse than Forest Hill in Newark, but as a whole Newark's still worse than Philadelphia. Montreal? Don't make me laugh...

Quote:
Alot of Eastern Euros i know , don't have any issue with any of Urban Jersey , because there used it back in there home countries....they also don't understand the hate towards the cities....
Yeah, and Irvington's safer than Johannesburg, South Africa... but I still wouldn't want to live there. Newark being safer than some random Eastern European city isn't much of a recommendation.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Yes Newark is lovely. You should totally move there and use the schools...they are awesome too.

Troll.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey