Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2knoww View Post
It's about time this bill was passed. Adoptees have the right to know where they come from and medical history...period. We are tired of being discriminated against. Birthmoms were never promised confidentiality. Maybe some agencies or lawyers told them that but it was not a fact and not in the papers they signed.

Please email Gov. Christie if you are in support of the bill.
I think it is rather presumptuous and rude to, as an adult, start rummaging around in people's lives to satisfy what is basically idle curiosity. I think it is irrational, irrelevant, and self-indulgent. But it becomes even worse, bordering on disgusting, when you start passing laws and making demands to know the identities of people who obviously wanted to detach themselves from a bad situation and did it responsibly and compassionately rather than dumping you outside a church. Or much worse... Just leave well enough alone. Your adoptive parents are your parents. Your only parents.

Have we really become this selfish and this self-indulgent?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do kids not apopted have these rights? Can you force your parents to give you a medical history?
thats a good point. im not aware of children having a legal right to their parents medical history.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,105 times
Most non-adopted children know their history from being around their family. I do not know a person out there that does not know the medical history of their family.

I am not adopted, but knowing the medical history of my family, if I were adopted I would absolutely want to know if heart disease, cancer or a number of other diseases including mental illness run in my birth parents family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do kids not apopted have these rights? Can you force your parents to give you a medical history?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
Most non-adopted children know their history from being around their family. I do not know a person out there that does not know the medical history of their family.

I am not adopted, but knowing the medical history of my family, if I were adopted I would absolutely want to know if heart disease, cancer or a number of other diseases including mental illness run in my birth parents family.
but as an adopted person, you arents around your birth family so you dont know. you would have to get some kind of access. so if you dont have a legal right to that information, then there is no reason to violate the person's privacy by giving you their contact information against their will.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post

That isn't the point. Someone either has a legal claim to that information or they don't. And if you don't have it for non-adopted kids I don't see why you would have it for adopted kids.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM

this medical information thing makes me think about the people who want to legalize marijuana. they really want to get high but they try to use the idea of "medical marijuana" to legitimize their position and get their foot in the door. in this case, they just want to satisfy their curiosity about their birth parents but are using the medical history as a way to legitimize their argument.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,189 times
There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for giving out the name, address of the person who put them up for adoption. Knowing they could do that gives me reason to favor abortion over adoption. If they want the medical history, assuming a raped young girl would even know in such a situation or anyone for that matter, that can be obtained without giving out names and address from the adoption agency. Marc Paolella, self indulgent Indeed. The wanting to know their medical history is just an excuse. IMO it's really more like how dare someone give me up attitude and self pity. They really do need to grow up. I would have to abort if I got pregnant and couldn't keep it. To me that's better than having a stranger show up at my door demanding answers to questions they have no right to ask or demand to know.I need a moderator because not one of my posts will show my new paragraphs, quite annoying

Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this medical information thing makes me think about the people who want to legalize marijuana. they really want to get high but they try to use the idea of "medical marijuana" to legitimize their position and get their foot in the door. in this case, they just want to satisfy their curiosity about their birth parents but are using the medical history as a way to legitimize their argument.
You got it sweetie

Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM

167 posts, read 310,654 times
Update on bill Governor Christie gave a conditonal vetoe.
"He said an erosion of birth parents' right to privacy could have a chilling effect on adoptions.
Under Christie's proposals, adult adoptees could use an intermediary at an adoption agency to trace their birth parents. Once contacted, the birth parents would be able to give or withhold consent for the release of the adoptee's original birth certificate, which would include the birth parents' names, or choose to release only medical records.
The intermediary could help arrange direct contact if both parties agree. And, if the intermediary could not find the birth parents within a year, or if they have died, the birth certificate and other details can be given to the adoptee, under Christie's proposals.
BIRTH PARENT WISHES
Should his recommendations become law, birth parents in the future would be asked to record their wishes -- complete information sharing, sharing via an intermediary or sharing only non-identifying medical information -- at the time of adoption."
A much more fair bill to all parties. Only part I don't like is if a birth parent dies the birth certificates will be released leaving a mess and surprise to all the unknowing relatives of the birth parent.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:58 PM

167 posts, read 310,654 times
Forgot to add. Governor Christie"s condition veto was June 23. It goes back to the senate for a vote then to the house. There has not been a vote. The adoption reform organization oppose the veto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: