Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i believe the gas tax should be raised, and yes, i have contacted my representative. i personally would like to not have to swerve around potholes as often as i do, but generally speaking, i think the roads aren't all as bad as people dramatize, but they can certainly be improved.

taxing tires more i don't think would work. if anything, it would cause a lot of people to drive on dangerous low-treaded tires. i think that would be a bad side-effect and would lead to more accidents.
Well, you may get your wish. There is current renewed debate on a NJ house measure tabled last May that would raise the gas tax by .24 cents a gallon over the next 3 years and then peg the tax to increase at the rate of inflation from there on out without needing a vote. Christie has rejected the plan and proposed using money saved from other sources, primarily money set aside for ARC to plug the transportation fund gap.

That increase has nothing to do with this debate though and is simply a measure to plug the funding gap that currently exists. Taxes would have to go up even more to adjust for the efficiency losses (odd term, BTW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, you may get your wish. There is current renewed debate on a NJ house measure tabled last May that would raise the gas tax by .24 cents a gallon over the next 3 years and then peg the tax to increase at the rate of inflation from there on out without needing a vote. Christie has rejected the plan and proposed using money saved from other sources, primarily money set aside for ARC to plug the transportation fund gap.

That increase has nothing to do with this debate though and is simply a measure to plug the funding gap that currently exists. Taxes would have to go up even more to adjust for the efficiency losses (odd term, BTW).
lol. yes, odd term. i wasn't thinking as drastic as .24 cents. but i think there's room for it to go up.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
id prefer to get rid of buses and trains. they are a waste.
can I ask what you are snorting?? that would happen when pigs fly plz use common sense in your posts. and think try it its not hard.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
SERIOUSLY, IT'S LIKE WHATEVER MAN, YOU SHOULD ALL RIDE BUSES AND TRAINS....oh wait, that isn't an option for the vast majority who rely upon their cars to get to work and everything else they do.

It may seem all dandy and wonderful to tax fuel and create mandates to drive fuel efficiency, but that ignores the fact that the working class and poor who are just as reliant on their cars will not be able to afford to continually purchase more and more efficient vehicles to offset the increased taxes and cost of fuel. Today's 25 MPG average car is going to be the affordable used car 8-10 years from now.

This also really isn't about gas guzzlers per se. This is really nothing more than an illustration of the governments complete lack of a real energy policy. We're going to mandate that we all drive efficient cars and we're going to go out and give people tax incentives to buy them. Just to turn around and punish those same people for doing so by levying increased taxes on them to make up for lost revenue.
Thats not what I meant I know not everyone can use transit. What I meant was replace all GASS GUZZLERS WITH FUEL EFFICIENT CARS ONLY. Let the poor move to cities if you cant afford to drive efficient DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!!!!!! screw them they pollute this planet enough they are pathetic cause they cant evolve with the times

Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
So let's say we raise gas tax. Does anyone have any confidence at all it would be used for the stated purpose or it would just be another "general fund" type thing.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post

can I ask what you are snorting?? that would happen when pigs fly plz use common sense in your posts. and think try it its not hard.
it may not makes sense to someone who lives in nyc and doesnt own a car. outside of densely populated cities, public transportation is a waste.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i just don't agree with this. i think they build what they generally believe people want, and in some cases they hit the mark, but they also ignore what many people would buy if the option was presented to them. SUVs didn't exist really at all before the 90s. there were some true Sport-Utility-Vehicles, and people who truly needed them bought them. then they started removing the utility (lose the skid plate, lose the good suspension, lose the proper center of gravity, etc) to start selling them cheaply and more profitibaly...and then advertised the heck out of them. essentially, they created the market. they also made small cars to be complete junk. making people dislike them for quality, fit and finish, and size.

i think if consumers were presented with a suburban that gets 10mpg and runs on unleaded fuel, or a suburban that gets 20mpg and runs on diesel, a majority of consumers would choose the suburban that gets 20mpg.

maybe this qualifies as conspiracy theory, but in my view, the oil industry is squashing the idea of fuel efficient vehicles in every chance they get, and the u.s. auto industry has played along all the way.
This post may run a little long, so bear with me.

The actual impetus for the creation of SUV's, minivans and the rise of trucks as personal transportation is directly tied to the enacting of the original CAFE legislation. A secondary cause was the creation of emissions standards that dramatically reduced the power output of engines.

The government divided vehicles into two groups, cars and light trucks. Light trucks were given a loose definition of any vehicle wherein the removal of seats by simple tools to reveal a level load floor that gave the vehicle more cargo than passenger capacity could be considered a light truck. That is an important piece to note as that standard has driven a lot of car design.

Previous to the encating of the legislation the most common family vehicle was the large sedan or wagon. These vehicles offered families adequate space and power to get around. Both of these types were classified as "cars" by CAFE and were held to a standard of 27 MPG combined for all cars a manufacturer sold. Light trucks were held to a much lower standard of 21 MPG.

The manufacturers quickly realized that they could no longer continue building the large, powerful sedans and wagons that had formed the bulk of what families chose for transportation. The sedans and wagons began to shrink in size and their engine outputs fell further in an attempt to meet the CAFE standards.

The public in general had a great distaste for the new emissions choked, smaller cars that were quickly becoming the only options available. The car companies also realized that wagons were thirstier than sedans and they couldn't continue to build wagons that provided the demanded size and power without completely axing their large sedans that were still the dominant sellers.

Enter Chrysler and Lee Iacocca. Chrysler developed a program to replace their wagon fleet that was dragging down their car compliance numbers with a new form of family hauler that would strike a balance and offer people the space they needed, while being more efficient than a full size van. The caveat was that it needed to be made on a car platform to utilize existing factory capacity, but needed to meet the CAFE definition of light truck in order not drag down the average of the car fleet, while bolstering the average of the truck fleet. The fruit of that program was the original minivan. This is the reason that minivans have always had removable seats, that's how they can be considered "light trucks" for CAFE purposes. The minivan was a smash hit for Chrysler and other companies rapidly followed up on their success, but were never able to seriously challenege Chrysler's market position.

In the meantime, gas prices had declined to some of their lowest levels ever and the auto manufacturers noticed a dramtic increase in pickup truck sales. The reasoning was that Americans were abandoning the now smaller, FWD low powered sedans in favor of the larger, RWD, more powerful pickup trucks as these were the only vehicles that even began to resemble the "standard" American car from even a decade ago.

The pickup truck had one major flaw though, you couldn't take your family along. Companies looking to rival Chryslers success with the minivan began to utlizie their existing truck platfroms that were exceedingly popular with buyers to create the first SUV's.

Unburdened by high fuel prices American's flocked to the SUV as a way to shake off the image the minivan had gained and still provide adequate room for their families in a more stylish and powerful package. These vehicles were immensely profitable for the auto makers as they had very low development costs owing to much of their underpinnings being truck based. Again, through the use of removable seats, these vehicles were able to be classified as light trucks.

Cars of the era weren't "terrible" but they were a lot smaller, with lower powered engines and many couldn't easily accomodate the average family of 5 and their suburban lifestyle. All of that was the result of forcing the automakers to meet a specific MPG number. It took many of them well into the 2000's to refine engine technology to provide both the power and effeciency that people wanted. Even then, cars remained much smaller than they were.

The overall impact of CAFE was to LOWER the average fuel economy of the U.S. car fleet as people flocked to minivans and SUV's. It was not some vast conspiracy by auto makers and oil companies, it was a market reaction led by the American consumer to choose a product they wanted and it all began with the minivan breaking the mold of what a "light truck" could be.

You seem to draw parallels with Europe, while failing to realize the differences that drove the behavior. European families on average are smaller than American families with one child households being the norm and three child households being rather odd. European roads and cities are narrower than in America, necessitating smaller cars. Europeans have always paid high fuel prices through taxation, pushing for the desire to have the most efficient cars possible. European cities and suburbs were not developed to be road dependent as they are in the U.S. removing the car as a necessity for regular daily transportation.

As for diesel engines, Americans as a whole have always had a distaste for diesel. Gas was generally very cheap, so the fuel economy benefit was negligible. Diesel engines that were originally tried in the U.S. were poor performers with multiple issues, turning many people off. People were also greatly turned off by the "dirty" emissions from diesel engines belching black smoke. Those early efforts were abortive and diesel engines remained relegated to truck use. Now, the greatest barrier to diesel engine use in the U.S. is the higher cost of diesel fuel and stricter U.S. emissions standards, that cut into the efficiency and add significant cost to an imported diesel.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Thats not what I meant I know not everyone can use transit. What I meant was replace all GASS GUZZLERS WITH FUEL EFFICIENT CARS ONLY. Let the poor move to cities if you cant afford to drive efficient DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!!!!!! screw them they pollute this planet enough they are pathetic cause they cant evolve with the times
Oh OK...we'll just take all the working class paycheck to paycheck folks residing in homes that are now worth much less than they were a few years ago effectively trapping them where they are at and turn around and jack up their fuel taxes since the government is unhappy with the revenue shortfall they created by mandating everyone buy more efficient cars. Screw them if they can't afford to run out and buy a new car that gets 40 MPG that they need to stack their kids like wood in the back of to get around. They should all be jamming themselves into the decrepit hell holes we call cities anyway.

Got it.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Mental note. Never argue with NJGOAT about cars.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
government is getting involved with a "problem" that isnt a problem. just leave us alone and let us use as much oil as we like. if it becomes more scarce and expensive, just let us choose something else and let businesses do what they need to do to offer us other options. government is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: