Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times

Advertisements

All my allergies went away after I moved out of Jersey City..Coincidence? hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:20 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I recently asked my pharmacist to put the OTC antihistamines in order of least effective to most effective.

He told me that Claritin/Clarinex is the weakest, by far. No wonder it wasn't doing anything for me any more!

Next in effectiveness is Allerest. However, you cannot take Allerest within a few hours of drinking most fruit juices, as they de-activate the effect of Allerest.

The most effective, according to my pharmacist, is Zyrtec. I switched to this drug, and the difference--as compared to Claritin/Clarinex--is like the difference between night and day. With Zyrtec, I barely know that I have seasonal allergies, although it is obvious that the beneficial effect wears off in about 12 hours.

The pharmacist also stated that Benadryl is very effective--as long as you don't mind sleeping about 14 hours a day.
Driving while taking Benadryl is NOT recommended!

All-in-all, it is clear to me that Zyrtec is the answer to my seasonal allergies.

I just realized that I made an error in my earlier post!
Rather than "Allerest", I meant to refer to Allegra as the second most effective OTC antihistamine.

I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I just realized that I made an error in my earlier post!
Rather than "Allerest", I meant to refer to Allegra as the second most effective OTC antihistamine.

I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused.

Actually Allerest (chlorpheneramine) should be more effective than Allegra or Zyrtek. But it's a sedating antihistamine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey