Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 AM

1,616 posts, read 3,756,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina999 View Post
Also, you have to keep in mind that the house is quite old. While the older houses were built well, you do have to wonder whether the renovations are only skin deep. Has all the plumbing been updated? What about electric systems? Sewage pipes? I currently own a house that was built in the mid 50s, and all these systems are beginning to cause some trouble. Nothing major, but an on-going expense. Personally, I would find this house overpriced. Maybe that is why I am having trouble purchasing a place in this town
I actually have an appointment to see this house this weekend. You gave me some good questions to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM

42 posts, read 98,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I actually have an appointment to see this house this weekend. You gave me some good questions to ask
Glad to hear that, and good luck to you! Also, check the foundation, in and out of the house. I come from a construction family, and they firmly believe that as a house approaches the 100 year-old mark, the foundation begins to crack/sag etc. We are actually seeing a few houses as well, in the 700K range. Hope for the best!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,057,782 times
Personally, I think some of the renovations in Westfield look ridiculous.

They take a 1920's home and then expand every which way they can trying to keep up with the styles of the current times (big kitchen, big master suite, etc). Makes no sense.

And they end up with an ugly, blocky-looking house that lost its charm, on a smaller lot (because they built out).

Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Personally, I think some of the renovations in Westfield look ridiculous.

They take a 1920's home and then expand every which way they can trying to keep up with the styles of the current times (big kitchen, big master suite, etc). Makes no sense.

And they end up with an ugly, blocky-looking house that lost its charm, on a smaller lot (because they built out).
I agree, but some of the teardowns are even worse.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 PM

42 posts, read 98,508 times
Its not really possible to maintain the old charm, and to meet the current expectations of the buyers. The new houses look like the typical boxes springing up across NJ. I wish they would restore the older houses to their former beauty without over-expanding.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,363,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina999 View Post
Its not really possible to maintain the old charm, and to meet the current expectations of the buyers. The new houses look like the typical boxes springing up across NJ. I wish they would restore the older houses to their former beauty without over-expanding.
i live in a tudor that i just bought a year ago. eventually i'll replace the roof and paint the original wood siding, no reason to change the charm at all!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,519,922 times
If the prices in westfield seem high, check out Cranford

Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Saw that house on Saturday. NO WHERE NEAR WORTH THE PRICE. Seller is delusional

Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,057,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Saw that house on Saturday. NO WHERE NEAR WORTH THE PRICE. Seller is delusional
Come on, it's Westfield.

Looked like some good photography though.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Come on, it's Westfield.

Looked like some good photography though.
the picture are great, but like many others, misleading. The kitchen is basically the galley kitchen and I am being generous. The "other half" of the kitchen is on the other side of the family room (the food pantry and a 2nd sink), and it doesn't match the "true" kitchen.

I have shopped a lot in Westfield, there are much much better homes for the money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey