Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
It's the top school district in Union county (BOE), and so not being top 10 amongst 300+ school districts is sort of misleading. It's top 10%-15%, I think most are satisfied with that.
That being said, what attracts my family to a town like Westfield is the access to mass transportation (yes, maybe long commute to NYC but it's all relative, as it used to take me 1 hour, door to door when I lived in midtown west NYC and was commuting from my gig in Meadowlands), close to a major intl airport, close to beaches (under a 2 hr drive), close to shopping.

In fact, the walkability factor is one that I would say is high on the list of most new families---especially those trading their Brooklyn pads for this type of suburban life. This town offers all that -- as do only a handful of other Northern NJ towns, and guess what, they are all priced high and have held their values well ---doesnt mean they wont go down but not to the extent of Newark Nj for example.

As far as taxes, I know plenty of folks in less affluent towns paying easily $10K + and are getting very little in return. Taxes are insane all over NJ.
Other towns in Union County have higher ranked high schools (New Providence, Cranford, Summit, Berkeley Heights). I don't understand the attraction to Westfield. Why not look there, or Livingston or Millburn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM

42 posts, read 98,600 times
Default Mohican Drive?

We actually saw a spacious house on Mohican drive this weekend. But its empty, and it has been on the market for a while. Is it too close to Springfield? I think the school is Wilson, which should attract folks, and it has been reduced. Because it is Westfield (!), you start wondering what is wrong with it if its not super overpriced, just moderately so!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 AM

7 posts, read 32,286 times
I think that we can all agree that the criteria in ranking schools is flawed. The class size in Westfield is much larger than most of those other school systems(BH,New Providence etc..) and the rankings are adversely affected. Hard to compare class size between a town like WF with 30k residents and a town like BH with 9k. Same with the Best places to live rankings. If you have a dearth of open space like WF does your are penalized. Not really the most fair or unbiased rankings in either study.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrader View Post
I think that we can all agree that the criteria in ranking schools is flawed. The class size in Westfield is much larger than most of those other school systems(BH,New Providence etc..) and the rankings are adversely affected. Hard to compare class size between a town like WF with 30k residents and a town like BH with 9k. Same with the Best places to live rankings. If you have a dearth of open space like WF does your are penalized. Not really the most fair or unbiased rankings in either study.
Agreed. The same magazine ranked Camden higher than Morristown in the "best places to live" rankings

Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrader View Post
You'd have to look at the college matriculations to really compare the high schools.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Agreed. The same magazine ranked Camden higher than Morristown in the "best places to live" rankings
The city of Camden, or Camden County?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
The City of Camden

481 Camden City
490 Bay Head Borough
494 Avon-by-the-Sea Borough
510 Morristown Town

Best Places to Live in New Jersey 2010 (Top Towns) in Alphabetical Order-www.njmonthly.com (http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/top-towns-2010-alphabetical.html - broken link)

Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
The City of Camden

481 Camden City
490 Bay Head Borough
494 Avon-by-the-Sea Borough
510 Morristown Town

Best Places to Live in New Jersey 2010 (Top Towns) in Alphabetical Order-www.njmonthly.com (http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/top-towns-2010-alphabetical.html - broken link)
oh we had a field day on the board when that crap came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey