Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 25,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just as you needed to qualify what you meant by "nice", you also need to tell us what you mean by "boring".

A bibliofile is not bored by the same things as someone who is a fitness feak, a video gamer is not bored by the same things as a nature lover, a gourmet is not bored by the same things as a bar fly, etc.

What do you need to be able to do in a specific area in order for it to not be "boring"?
I don't mind quiet when I'm at home but I mean like a short distance where I can be able to go to a store nearby, mall, gym, bar and gym. An area where there are singles in the mid to low 30's as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,395 times
Piscataway is fine, more than fine - though I'm not sure there is a whole lot of rental availability. There are a FEW apartment complexes, kind of '60's garden type. Since Rutgers only "guarantees dorm space to freshman, there is a lot of competition for rentals, esp grad students. Rutgers is actually about 1/3 in Piscataway and if you want to go out, New Brunswick is a very short drive across the river and a fairly typical university town with a broad range of stuff to do. Worth it if even just for the grease trucks :+). All the other stuff, gyms,stores, bars etc are there in Piscataway too. Drive over for a weekend,[or take NJ Transit], though it's probably pretty quiet now that graduation's over- - -

Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Stay away from Rock Ave and South 2nd St in Piscataway (Poplar, Chestnut, etc ). It is the ghetto of Piscataway, aka as The FLATS. Rat infested dump of an area, surrounded by drugs, drunks, and addicts. It is noisy (truck stop, road ends in a scrap yard, there are always loud bikers, parties, loud music from cars all hours of night, noisy kids), the landlords do not care about these properties if you rent…...Live here at your own risk

Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowwhoiam View Post
Stay away from Rock Ave and South 2nd St in Piscataway (Poplar, Chestnut, etc ). It is the ghetto of Piscataway, aka as The FLATS. Rat infested dump of an area, surrounded by drugs, drunks, and addicts. It is noisy (truck stop, road ends in a scrap yard, there are always loud bikers, parties, loud music from cars all hours of night, noisy kids), the landlords do not care about these properties if you rent…...Live here at your own risk
This neighborhood is an eyesore, right on the edge of Plainfield. Lots of Plainfield kids say they live on Rock Ave in Piscataway so they can sneak into the schools when they really live in Plainfield.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 AM

255 posts, read 455,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
East Brunswick is very nice. So is South Brunswick. I don't know much about North Brunswick. There would be no reason for you to live in New Brunswick.

I would also look north a bit up 287, up towards Bridgewater. That would technically be Somerset County though, so not sure if that is a dealbreaker.
Why would there be "no reason" to live in New Brunswick. It borders Piscataway for crying out loud.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM

377 posts, read 474,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Why would there be "no reason" to live in New Brunswick. It borders Piscataway for crying out loud.
And will also have the best scene for a single person. No idea if your budget will keep you out of the less desirable parts of NB but it's worth a look.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:34 AM

28 posts, read 49,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker13 View Post
I'm going to be working in Piscataway real soon but I'm looking for some nice areas. I was told there are no good areas nearby. I read reviews on nearby apartments and they had poor ratings. Does anyone know any good areas that is about a 45 minute drive from Piscataway?
Well whoever told you that there are no good areas nearby might be comparing it with posh areas which you cant find in middlesex county. You might have to go to Short hills or surrounding areas to get that true feel

Piscataway as such is a very safe area and so are most of the areas nearby sans New Brunswick. You can get safety information related to towns from websites such as Neighborhoodscout or Safewise. Most of the apartments in and around middlesex county have mostly average reviews. So, do not expect something like 4 or 5 out of 5. Do visit the apartment, and as long as the rent and place looks good, and ratings are not too bad, you should be good.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadavan View Post
Well whoever told you that there are no good areas nearby might be comparing it with posh areas which you cant find in middlesex county. You might have to go to Short hills or surrounding areas to get that true feel

Piscataway as such is a very safe area and so are most of the areas nearby sans New Brunswick. You can get safety information related to towns from websites such as Neighborhoodscout or Safewise. Most of the apartments in and around middlesex county have mostly average reviews. So, do not expect something like 4 or 5 out of 5. Do visit the apartment, and as long as the rent and place looks good, and ratings are not too bad, you should be good.
North Edison is a rather "posh" area in my opinion but you'll pay dearly for it.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM

71 posts, read 125,129 times
There is a large, new apartment complex in Bound Brook on the Raritan River. Its about 20 min. to New Brunswick and 5 min. to Piscataway. Its in a town and the train station is across the street. If you go to the bridge that connects So. Bound Brook and Bound Brook, you can't miss it. Its new and big.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:19 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFBALL View Post
There is a large, new apartment complex in Bound Brook on the Raritan River. Its about 20 min. to New Brunswick and 5 min. to Piscataway. Its in a town and the train station is across the street. If you go to the bridge that connects So. Bound Brook and Bound Brook, you can't miss it. Its new and big.
You definitely can't miss it.
It is situated about 4 feet from a very busy roadway, and--clearly--must have required zoning variances in order to have it constructed so close to a very busy thoroughfare. Seeing the incredible mass of this building looming over the adjoining street is...unsettling...to say the least. Whether any money changed hands in order to secure that zoning variance, I will leave it to others to figure out that situation.

The building in question is named "Meridia", and it is ideally situated if you want ready access to an NJ Transit station, and as long as you don't mind being sandwiched in a very narrow strip of land between the NJ Transit tracks and a busy roadway. If you are interested in this building, make sure that you view an apartment during the time period when one of the Raritan Valley trains is passing a few feet behind the building. The noise factor might be a consideration for many people, and finding out about the noise factor after moving in is not an ideal situation to be confronted with.

Just be sure to check NJ Transit's schedule for the Raritan Valley line, and make sure that you are in one of Meridia's units when a train is passing by BEFORE you decide to occupy one of these units.

Last edited by Retriever; 04-18-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey