Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 9,239 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?
Columbus, OH

Why are you moving?
Work Transfer

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Jersey City and wife will most likely work in NYC

Will you buy or rent?
Rent

What is your budget?
$3,200

What kind of place are you looking for?
Single-family Home or Townhome

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
Wife, 3 Yr old Son and 2 Dogs

Do you need/want good public schools?
Not for another 2 years

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc):
Family-friendly neighborhood, suburban or rural.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc):
1. Safety
2. Commute times <1hr Public Transit
3. Close to shopping and amenities

I grew up in NYC and am now coming back after being gone 20+years. Since I have to work out of Jersey City and my wife may most likely work out of midtown/downtown - we're looking to find a home/townhome to rent in North or Central NJ within a reasonable commute time. Neither one of us mind public transportation but would love to find a place that gets us home in time to not leave our son in daycare 10+ hours.

I know it's a tough find, but we would consider a 2+den or 3 bedroom apt if we had to. Any advice you guys could send our way about neighborhoods/towns to look at would be great.

Thanks ahead of time for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:06 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
On a $3200 a month budget, you more or less have your choice of a 3 BR place anywhere you want to live in.

Do some reading up on the towns on the forum and go for what you feel is the best fit for you.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Cranford and Westfield are nice places to start looking. Easy commute to lower Manhattan, about 45 minutes. Slightly less than that to Jersey City.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 9,239 times
Thanks for the Cranford and Westfield recommendations, I'll add those to the list..

We've been looking around the Montclair area and most of the cities off of 78 starting past Milburn (i.e. Summit/New Providence). But its hard to judge how the commutes really are from those towns and the quality of life around there.

I have a brother who lives in Teaneck and he's pushing north Bergen County but unless my wife will work uptown, that commute looks pretty bad across the GWB.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
It's going to be hard to keep your son's daycare time under 10 hours a day with both of you working in JC/NYC and commuting (assuming an 8 hour workday).

It's usually better and more common for one spouse to have a job close to the kid's daycare when there is a commute involved. I don't know what your wife does, but something to think about if she is looking for a job.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
I have a brother who lives in Teaneck and he's pushing north Bergen County but unless my wife will work uptown, that commute looks pretty bad across the GWB.
I live north Bergen County and work in NYC & Jersey City. Public transit from Bergen County to both is great.

There's the Pascack Valley line train running directly into Hoboken then it's a couple of stops on the Light Rail to Jersey City waterfront (Harborside Financial Center, Exchange Place)

Also there are NYC express buses from all over Bergen County that don't cross at GWB, they use Lincoln Tunnel and drop you off at Port Authority on 42nd St in midtown Manhattan.

Just some food for thought

Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
Thanks for the Cranford and Westfield recommendations, I'll add those to the list..

We've been looking around the Montclair area and most of the cities off of 78 starting past Milburn (i.e. Summit/New Providence). But its hard to judge how the commutes really are from those towns and the quality of life around there.

Summit /New Providence/Berkeley Heights are very nice areas which sound like they would meet your needs. Other suggestions: Whippany, Florham Park, E. Hanover.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
I would say check into Bayonne. There are some 1 family houses there and is a easy commute to both JC and ny for both of you. Light rail to JC and ferries to ny.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 AM

17 posts, read 36,658 times
Sorry but could not resist saying this. Should'nt you be getting Transfer back to Columbus? Such a great place with good schools, good malls, affordable housing, good golf.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 AM

35 posts, read 85,711 times
don't bother with anything else but Jersey City near the river/Hoboken.
You find a 2/3 bedroom apartment, your commute will be great and living there is great as well. You can check Pavonia Newport. (not sure how big your dogs are but some apartment buildings limit the size)
You can rent there for 1 year and see what you like in terms of area and commute. Commute into NYC is a huge pain from some of the areas mentioned on this forum. Living on the boardwalk is great, you don't even need a car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey