Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, i think it ideally should turn a profit but it should at least break even. anything worth having is worth paying the cost of.
Then so should roads , but both is unlikely to happen anytime in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
then ridership will plummet thus increasing operating costs thus negating the extra revenue that type strategy only works with long distance lines.
haha imagine they would actually have to think like a business.

but if ridership would plummet when you increase the price, i guess it isnt worth the cost.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Then so should roads , but both is unlikely to happen anytime in the near future.
true. sometimes i will give two opinions, my opinion on what should happen and my opinion on what will likely happen. charging people the cost is what i think should happen, but i understand it isnt likely to happen. one problem is that because its a government operation, the fare becomes a political decision. i think it should be a simple business decision where you need to cover the costs of your business in order to stay in business.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
true. sometimes i will give two opinions, my opinion on what should happen and my opinion on what will likely happen. charging people the cost is what i think should happen, but i understand it isnt likely to happen. one problem is that because its a government operation, the fare becomes a political decision. i think it should be a simple business decision where you need to cover the costs of your business in order to stay in business.
Well that wouldn't be fair , because the true cost of the roads is subsidized.....why do you think Europeans and Asians pay more for petrol? Your not being fair with your argument , putting all the true costs on transit riders instead of Road users? Actually by lower fares & adding more service they might be able to break into black.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well that wouldn't be fair , because the true cost of the roads is subsidized
im not sure what fair has to do with anything or what auto expense subsidies have to do with public transit. if it takes $5 a ticket to make the transit system cover its costs, thats what should be charged.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
im not sure what fair has to do with anything or what auto expense subsidies have to do with public transit. if it takes $5 a ticket to make the transit system cover its costs, thats what should be charged.
Transit systems shouldn't have to cover the cost as long as the Auto community is subsidized....its only fair. Auto subsidies are what killed the private Transit / Rail community , it created an unfair competition. All subsidies need to stop , its starting to hold back this country from competing on the World stage.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Transit systems shouldn't have to cover the cost as long as the Auto community is subsidized....its only fair. Auto subsidies are what killed the private Transit / Rail community , it created an unfair competition. All subsidies need to stop , its starting to hold back this country from competing on the World stage.
would you really give up transit subsidies if auto subsidies were ended?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yes i would , and a little restructuring and Transit could become profitable like in Europe. Not all European systems are that big or used by that much , but most operate in the black.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Yes i would , and a little restructuring and Transit could become profitable like in Europe. Not all European systems are that big or used by that much , but most operate in the black.
yeah? you know of any that posts their financials? id be curious to see, i love looking at financial statements. i did a quick search and saw the MTA financials so that was convenient. their revenue was about 6 billion to 14 billion in expenses. that would mean they need to raise their rates by significantly more than double and then risk losing volume and still not be positive.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:25 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because if drivers had to pay the true cost of driving, things like carpool vans and buses would be an INSTANT hit. train lines to move people around in a region would be more difficult, but in areas with enough population all going from point A to point B, it would make sense.

traffic would plummet almost instantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey