Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

interesting that groups that want less cars are the ones suggesting these things. but i think we should have more cars and more roads for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
interesting that groups that want less cars are the ones suggesting these things. but i think we should have more cars and more roads for them.
that paper i last linked was not a group that wanted less cars, it was actually a study to try to determine if there was bias in the general studies performed concluding more capacity leads to more VMT. it found that there are groups that definitely have used studies and skewed the conclusion based on their agenda, but that they were still right...just slightly less right. and that there is statistically significant evidence that more VMT leads to more capacity as well. but the statistical significance was stronger when looking at capacity leading to more VMT.

aside from the numerous independent studies conducted out there not by these groups but by states, engineers, private groups, universities, etc...all around the world....simple logic tells you that you need to look at the cost benefit analysis of each method of transportation, which we currently do not, generally speaking. that analysis should be performed and try to determine...if we build this rail, will it get used? will the use levels justify the cost? etc. etc. same should be done for roads, rails, bus routes.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that analysis should be performed and try to determine...if we build this rail, will it get used? will the use levels justify the cost? etc. etc. same should be done for roads, rails, bus routes.

it doesnt seem to me like rail and public transportation makes much sense. it cant cover its costs. cars are much better. i just looked at the mta budget and i see their operating revenue is less than 40% of what their expenses are.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
it doesnt seem to me like rail and public transportation makes much sense. it cant cover its costs. cars are much better. i just looked at the mta budget and i see their operating revenue is less than 40% of what their expenses are.
News Flash , Roads Don't pay for themselves. Public Transportation isn't supposed to turn a profit , neither are roads.... If Rail moves more then 15,000 its cost affective , any lower then that is a waste.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
dude do you know what NYC would be like without the MTA seriously use ur brain NYC will turn to a parking lot without the MTA surly you know what the strike did. Just because you dont have transit doesnt mean others dont deserve it

this comment= EPIC FAIL AWARD

You cant be this stupid I understand transit cant be for everything but to kill is completely and have only cars dude what are you on come back to reality plz. Besides what were you smokin today??

Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
News Flash , Roads Don't pay for themselves. Public Transportation isn't supposed to turn a profit , neither are roads.... If Rail moves more then 15,000 its cost affective , any lower then that is a waste.
Ok ur right on the money but I think you should save ur breath ur talking to a wall dude.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
well, i think it ideally should turn a profit but it should at least break even. anything worth having is worth paying the cost of.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
dude do you know what NYC would be like without the MTA seriously use ur brain NYC will turn to a parking lot without the MTA surly you know what the strike did. Just because you dont have transit doesnt mean others dont deserve it
ok, but then charge a fare that covers the costs. so if its 2.25 for a subway or bus trip, charge something like $5 for a trip.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
well, i think it ideally should turn a profit but it should at least break even. anything worth having is worth paying the cost of.
now this makes more sense post more like this. Some transit systems do break even look at westchester NY

Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
ok, but then charge a fare that covers the costs. so if its 2.25 for a subway or bus trip, charge something like $5 for a trip.
then ridership will plummet thus increasing operating costs thus negating the extra revenue that type strategy only works with long distance lines. It doesnt work for city flat fare based networks. That strategy is best with transit systems that have an unusually large service area like NJ where if a bus had 13 zones and had a mix of lets say 40 12 zone ppl then throughout the trip 34 4 zone travellers and so on get on and off in addition to the 13 zone travellers if this is done enough then the bus route can turn a profit like NJT's 553 line. However with rail that is harder to do as operating expenses are way higher and the ridership required must also be higher as well as be faster than the bus. The attitudes of NYC ppl prevent fare hikes let alone a zone based system. WMATA and SEPTA have zone based routes and therefore have higher POTENTIAL farebox recovery ratios. However NYC's population cancels out the need for a zone based system. Transit is never supposed to make money however if it does then it's an EPIC WIN!!!!!!! The goal is to move as many ppl as poddible from point A to B. NYC as a result of their subway system can't create regional bus routes that will succeed unless they use the BQE otherwise due to duplication are doomed to low ridership. The MTA is at the mercy of the ppl of NYC. therefore their network is feeder type multipurpose. NJ is more catered to regional travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey