Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

N.J. should fix existing roads, bridges rather than build new ones: advocacy group | NJ.com

what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
The highway/bridge infrastructure in the US is deteriorating at an appalling rate, and some surveys of road conditions have placed NJ highways in the position of being in the worst shape of any state. In view of the high traffic density on our roads, this is not surprising.

Yes, I agree that we need to repair existing roads and bridges before we build new ones. The increasing frequency of damage to the front-end components of cars in NJ is silent testimony to the need to repair existing roadways.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Yes, that sounds smart.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
There aren't many new roadways being built anyway. Most everything is improvement or widening. We already gave up building I-95, I-278 and other roads through NJ decades ago.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
There aren't many new roadways being built anyway. Most everything is improvement or widening. We already gave up building I-95, I-278 and other roads through NJ decades ago.
widening is the same as building new. the point is....fix the infrastructure we currently have. if we can't afford to maintain the current infrastructure properly, adding more miles of lanes to maintain is just making the issue worse.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
you can still drive on deteriorating roads so by building new roads you add capacity but fixing deterioriating roads does nothing to add capacity.

just did a search on this group, they are quite agenda driven. if they are suggesting fixing old roads before building new roads, my guess is it is because they know that it will hurt car travel by making roads more congested.

"The Tri-State Transportation Campaign is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to reducing car dependency in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut."

its kind of funny to see how they are trying to work. try to say something that sounds very common sense and logical, but in reality it is a deceptive way to try to destroy what they are pretending to be trying to help.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 05-17-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you can still drive on deteriorating roads so by building new roads you add capacity but fixing deterioriating roads does nothing to add capacity.

just did a search on this group, they are quite agenda driven. if they are suggesting fixing old roads before building new roads, my guess is it is because they know that it will hurt car travel by making roads more congested.

"The Tri-State Transportation Campaign is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to reducing car dependency in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut."

its kind of funny to see how they are trying to work. try to say something that sounds very common sense and logical, but in reality it is a deceptive way to try to destroy what they are pretending to be trying to help.
"Reducing car dependency" Hmmm

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
"Reducing car dependency" Hmmm
its a blatant trick. its comical what this group is trying to do with this "study."

people dont realize what lengths people go to for their crazy issues and the crazies are the one in power. a woman at work has a relative that is an engineer and worked on some kind of road plan in nyc. he said they intentionally created the roads in a manner to increase traffic to push people to public transportation.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
widening is the same as building new. the point is....fix the infrastructure we currently have. if we can't afford to maintain the current infrastructure properly, adding more miles of lanes to maintain is just making the issue worse.
I guess my counter to that point would be if they are widening roads on sections that already need maintenance and do both at the same time, what's the harm? I imagine repairing and rebuilding a road bed and/or bridge is already a major undertaking. If you can simultaneously expand the road at the same time it seems like a win-win.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a blatant trick. its comical what this group is trying to do with this "study."

people dont realize what lengths people go to for their crazy issues and the crazies are the one in power. a woman at work has a relative that is an engineer and worked on some kind of road plan in nyc. he said they intentionally created the roads in a manner to increase traffic to push people to public transportation.
Haha , actually Transit ridership regradless of Gas prices has been climbing over the past decade..... I don't think it has anything to with road design , that sounds silly. Stress , Parking Prices in Urban Jersey / NYC have alot too do with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey