Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times

Advertisements

I'll start. I think people are generally courteous when they are driving around their own town. This is in case they see someone they know. No use flipping the bird to your kid's soccer coach.

Outside of their little town, they turn into a bunch of total, I'll let you fill in the blank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,096 times
new jersey drivers don't know what yield signs mean.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Default 'Hurried'...

Our driving habits reflect the culture we live in. Many New Jerseyans tend to be 'hurried', hence our driving is impatient. We tailgate in traffic -- because if we don't we'll repeatedly get cut off by the more-hurried people cutting in.

That said, IMO the most dangerous people are not the hurried but the 'loafers.' Oh, how I wish NJ police would ticket people for putt-putting in the left lane!

Much of this problem comes from our neighboring New Yorkers. In New York City, since the traffic congestion is so severe, many people are taught to move to the left lane of the highway to avoid the backed-up entry and exit traffic - hence, they slowpoke in the left lane! These habits are carried along when they leave the city.

Have you seen the insurance institute's rating? Here is last year's: Worst drivers in America by state. They place NJ as second worst. (The 2011 survey should be out any day now.)

I'll agree that New Jersey drivers will win few citizenship awards, but compared to New Yorkers, our driving is just shy of angelic!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
aggressive. Although drivers are definitely more courteous in my part of the state compared with others.

my husband CANNOT STAND PA drivers. Clogging our roads and not driving with the flow.

My husband would also agree with Maverick's statement about cops ticketing loafers in the left lane.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
I agree. It is part of the culture.

It's kind of like the way New Jerseyans have a reputation of being sort of unfriendly to people they don't know. They just can't be bothered, too busy, blah blah. They are not phony. You know who likes you or not.

I think it's the same on the roads. When I am puttering around my town on the back roads, everyone is super courteous, because they might know you. So there is something in it for them not to be jackasses.

But as soon as I go down to the highway, or even the overpass areas, all of these jerks appear because they don't live here necessarily.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Default The 'Pennsylvania Parade'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
aggressive. Although drivers are definitely more courteous in my part of the state compared with others. my husband CANNOT STAND PA drivers. Clogging our roads and not driving with the flow. My husband would also agree with Maverick's statement about cops ticketing loafers in the left lane.
Thanks Tahiti ~~~
My brother moved from NJ to PA nearly 20 years ago. He uses the term 'Pennsylvania Parade' to describe what happens when stuck behind a putt-putter whom other drivers can't pass because they're on single lane roads with no passing zones. Apropos indeed!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Thanks Tahiti ~~~
My brother moved from NJ to PA nearly 20 years ago. He uses the term 'Pennsylvania Parade' to describe what happens when stuck behind a putt-putter whom other drivers can't pass because they're on single lane roads with no passing zones. Apropos indeed!
my husband's term is a little more colorful.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,929,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
new jersey drivers don't know what yield signs mean.
I totally agree with you there. Why don't they understand that "yield" can in some instances actually mean STOP. I almost get my car totaled daily in the same spot. I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY, YOU HAVE THE YIELD!!!!!! They don't seem to grasp that.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
my husband's term is a little more colorful.

I used to have an uncle that took absolute joy in slowing down a lane of cars. He'd glance in the mirror and just cackle at the growing frustration.

He had his faults, but he sure didn't suffer from stress!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
south Jersey traffic/drivers are a joy as compared to Philly drivers.. I can attest to that. Coming from Philly to south jersey its a cake walk over here in jersey now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey