U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 21,095 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are from New Jersey and moved to Georgia in 2007. Since then we have 2 boys (4 & 2yrs. old) and are considering moving back. We are not too happy with some of Georgia's laws, regulations, and the people's mentalities (no offense to Georgians). Also, the recent storms traumatized me and am not sure if I want to deal with tornado seasons year after year, especially with my children. However, we live in a nice neighborhood with good schools on a moderate income. We are a bit hesitant because of the diffence in the cost of living between the 2 states.

Good neighborhood, great schools, and small hometown feel are our top priorities!

Any suggestions? Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM

4,073 posts, read 7,868,165 times
(Maybe) welcome back!

Can you narrow down where in NJ you would be looking? Any idea where job(s) would be? Busget?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Default Moving back to New Jersey

thank you for responding... we are from west orange but have heard that it has changed...

City: West Orange (possibly), Verona, West Caldwell, Livingston, Bergen County (can we afford it?)

Jobs: Bergen County, NY (would consider), Newark

Budget: 60k - 65k (hopefully - that's where we left off before moving); (right now living on 48k combined income)

Occupations - Social Work, Retail Management (hubby)

Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 AM

177 posts, read 403,162 times
Is that a budget for renting? Or what?

If you've gotten used to GA's COL, stay there, it's obviously going to be much worse here.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 AM

that budget is for renting... will have a little of help with cost of living since we will have much more support from family with the kids ... so you don't think that we will be able to do it on a 60-65k (take home) income?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM

I think you can, how much are you going to be putting towards rent?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 AM

39 posts, read 73,158 times
We are in south NJ but are moving north and we have been researching Bergen County a lot because of where my husbands job is and our family. It is expensive but great schools. Some towns are less expensive than others. But you are at the right place. So many people have been so helpful.

You say- 60-65k that will be income right? With that what are you looking to spend on a house?

Some reasonable areas in Bergen County with decent schools- Rutherford, Oradell, Waldwick, maybe Oakland.

I heard good things about the Caldwells. Supposedly the schools are good and I think its pretty affordable.

What about South Jersey? Much cheaper and some great school areas. Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Haddonfield? This is where we are but hubby works in north Jersey and the commute is killer and expensive!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM

thinking to put $1200-$1700 towards rent (am i being cheap/unrealistic?). Need a 2 bedroom for now... we don't have any car notes or a mortgage that we are leaving behind to worry about... budget is for living neccessities.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Might limit your options....

Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,837,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randisim View Post
thinking to put $1200-$1700 towards rent (am i being cheap/unrealistic?). Need a 2 bedroom for now... we don't have any car notes or a mortgage that we are leaving behind to worry about... budget is for living neccessities.
Budget does limit your options but it's doable as long as you have the right expectations. You can find 2bed for 1500-1700 in Fort Lee which does have pretty good school system and bus to NYC (NJT & Gypsy) should your husband consider job in city.

65k living in GA vs. NJ, you will find many things squeezed so expect to have your disposable income reduced. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey