Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I believe all our children will be able to afford New Jersey. If they pick the right careers and work hard they should do well. I'm not necessarily refering to white collar wall street type careers either. Their are plenty of blue collar Union electricans, Plumbers ect.. who make very good livings.

As parents we need to give our children the benifit of our knowledge in the form of guidance. I believe we need to set the bar high. New Jersey offers a very high standard of living I would like to see my children strive to achieve that.
Totally agree. I've said it in other threads: quit whining.

My mom had a high school education and was a secretary. Her career paid for my college at Colgate University, which, at the time, was a ridiculous $20K per year, same as the Ivies. This was 20 years ago.

She didn't "have" to work. She liked to. Her money was the "free" money. My father grew up on a farm in Clifton, never wanted to go to college, went to a junior college in upstate NY (Paul Smith's) and then earned his BA at night at Fairleigh Ridiculous. All because a teacher in high school took an interest and made him believe he should go to college. He ended up earning a good living for us, for his family.

Me, a product of these two working class folks: my dad, who was son of farmers who had sixth- and eighth-grade educations; and my mom, daughter of a plumber and a proofreader, I went to college and then to grad school.

You get what you give. They brought me up in a beautiful home on a cul-de-sac, far from what they'd known at the same age. Please keep in mind that they worked up to that. There's this odd feeling nowadays that you should automatically be able to buy that four bedroom, 2.5 bath house at 25. Sorry, no. My parents built that house in 1981, when they were 40. they started with a "starter" home. I had a friend tell me, in the mid-90s, when we were in our mid-20s, that if she could buy a home like my parents', in the area, she'd stay (she moved out to Jefferson). I said to her, "They built that at FORTY!" I was amazed she thought on $21K and at 27, she was entitled to the same house they took a long time to build up to.

I plan to do the same thing if I have kids. Your kids should always do better than you do. They should have the best of everything: but you need to do the work to earn it.

It's true you have to strive to be successful here. So, do it. Quit whining, or move to Tennessee and be stuck with the hicks. You know, there's always a price to pay.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I believe all our children will be able to afford New Jersey. If they pick the right careers and work hard they should do well. I'm not necessarily refering to white collar wall street type careers either. Their are plenty of blue collar Union electricans, Plumbers ect.. who make very good livings.

As parents we need to give our children the benifit of our knowledge in the form of guidance. I believe we need to set the bar high. New Jersey offers a very high standard of living I would like to see my children strive to achieve that.
Your Dreaming! My husband was making 6 figures and we were not living fancy. Sure, we paid the bills . I don't think anyone should be paying $12,000 taxes on a 2300 sq foot house.
My plumber worked 2 jobs and with taxes was barely making it, you are living in a dream world or maybe in a town I would not live in. I don't want to worry about being murdered.
My children know how to save, we had a few years where we didn't have much to spend. I had an oil leak that the Town and the state allowed a builder to install a tank under the ground. Remediations are occuring all over the state. Sure, insuance paid most, but I had to replace grass, Deck, and things ins did not cover. Here its more modern, oil heat is nonexistant.
My daughter likes it here better, she no longer has to deal with snobs whose parents are all show and deeply in Debt. A lot of her friends are going to Community colleges because their parents living in $700,000 homes can't afford to pay for college.
Your Children will struggle, my daughter won't. She starts college this month, A good state school. She will live on Campus. She won't have any loans when she graduates.
NJ is no longer a good place to live.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times
Quote:
t paid to do that because the Great State of Tennessee takes the Lottery Money and it gives students graduating from a Tennessee HS, $4000 A year if they obtain a 3.0 avg, on 4.0 scale.
I just got my Bill today with the Schlorship deducted and it was, $3000 for half a year which includes Tuition, Fees, Room, Best Meal Plan. They took half of the schlorship amount off for 1st semester. I'll pay the rest by check.
Can you get that in NJ in a state university? So its also going to cost more to educate your children. And even worst for them to educate theirs.
And Yes, her college has kids from NY and NJ going there because even with the out of state fee's its less.
Yes, but, let's be honest, they're rewarding people in Tennessee for actually completing high school. It's an achievement; I'm surprised they don't throw in a bonus for graduating with all your teeth intact.

Also, your child is going to a Tennessee state school, so, it is what it is. It's...Tennessee! You get what you pay for.

Also, your argument might be more compelling if you could actually spell "scholarship" and refrain from random, incorrect capitalization. Just sayin'.

Last edited by netsirk; 08-03-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
You would think state officials would be concerned when so many people are "evacuating" NJ. I would suggest everyone get out there and VOTE in the next election. That is the only way we can send a message to our politicians that we are not happy with the status quo.
That is laughable. The politics are so corrupt here, I doubt that they give a rat's a** or even notice. The only state worse than ours is NY and the Staten Islander s and Brooklynites are more than happy to move into our suburbs. This is Utopia for them. As a a resident of Monmouth County I will tell you this, that for every NJ resident that exits 5 NY'ers move in. This is fact, not fiction. I am not complaining...I can't stand them but when the time comes I will make a huge profit on my home to one of them and merrily move on..and out. I will hate to leave my beloved Jersey. I'm a Jersey girl through and through, but like so many that I know, it's just become a nightmare. The sprawl, taxes, eminent domain issues, corruption, car insurancce (yikes), TRAFFIC, etc. It's sad. I was born in North Jersey in a very upscale town that has now done to the dogs, moved here to gorgeous Monmouth, where we worked hard to give my kids a good life only to be driven out by outsiders who can better afford to be here. The American Dream?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Your Dreaming! My husband was making 6 figures and we were not living fancy. Sure, we paid the bills . I don't think anyone should be paying $12,000 taxes on a 2300 sq foot house.
My plumber worked 2 jobs and with taxes was barely making it, you are living in a dream world or maybe in a town I would not live in. I don't want to worry about being murdered.
My children know how to save, we had a few years where we didn't have much to spend. I had an oil leak that the Town and the state allowed a builder to install a tank under the ground. Remediations are occuring all over the state. Sure, insuance paid most, but I had to replace grass, Deck, and things ins did not cover. Here its more modern, oil heat is nonexistant.
My daughter likes it here better, she no longer has to deal with snobs whose parents are all show and deeply in Debt. A lot of her friends are going to Community colleges because their parents living in $700,000 homes can't afford to pay for college.
Your Children will struggle, my daughter won't. She starts college this month, A good state school. She will live on Campus. She won't have any loans when she graduates.
NJ is no longer a good place to live.
This post is filled with so many foolish assumptions its comical. It actually reeks of desperation. Thanks for the laugh and thanks for moving to Tennessee.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Totally agree. I've said it in other threads: quit whining.
It's true you have to strive to be successful here. So, do it. Quit whining, or move to Tennessee and be stuck with the hicks. You know, there's always a price to pay.
Once again, typical narrow-minded thinking. If you really think that the South is filled with so-called "hicks", you really need to get out more!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Yes, but, let's be honest, they're rewarding people in Tennessee for actually completing high school. It's an achievement; I'm surprised they don't throw in a bonus for graduating with all your teeth intact.

Also, your child is going to a Tennessee state school, so, it is what it is. It's...Tennessee! You get what you pay for.

Also, your argument might be more compelling if you could actually spell "scholarship" and refrain from random, incorrect capitalization. Just sayin'.
Who are you? The grammar police? If you're going to attack other posters because of sentence structure, grammar and improper capitalization, you should re-edit some of your previous posts. (Just sayinG.)
Your posts are filled with untruths and anger. Maybe the Jersey life is getting to you too. You're just not admitting it.
There's really no need to insult others. IMO

Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
To you, deb: What gives you the impression that anyone responding to this thread lives in a $1,000,000 home and drives a $60,000 car???
We lived in a $350,000 4BR 2BTH home with $15,000 in property taxes. You think that's reasonable? OUCH!
My husband's family has lived (and still does) in New Jersey for over 35 years IN THE SAME HOUSE, raised their four children there, all the while paying their property taxes faithfully and on time. Do you think it's fair that they should now be subjected to a $11,000 property tax bill? I think not!
This is the third time you are being asked.......Where is this $350,000 house that you say you payed $15,000 a year for?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
I have been wondering the same thing. NJ is getting way to expensive. How are people supposed to be first time home buyers when they start at $300,000 and in most areas, and that does not get you much!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
This is the third time you are being asked.......Where is this $350,000 house that you say you payed $15,000 a year for?
I don't typically respond to patronizing posters, such as you, but apparently you didn't take the time to read this entire thread carefully. If you had, you would have read where my house was...SUSSEX COUNTY, NJ. ($14,800 in property taxes for a 4BR 2BTH home on just under an acre.)
The previous home we owned was in Bergen County, where we paid $7,700 in property taxes for less than a 1/4 acre (back in 1998). Those taxes have now risen to $9,200!
I won't be more specific than that.
How rude you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey