Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times

Advertisements

Ann- if that is the case the State owes me $900,000. Where can I pick up the check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:10 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Ann- if that is the case the State owes me $900,000. Where can I pick up the check?
That's a good deal! You should tell your union to fight for that.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 PM

I am not in a union. The pension has nothing to do with the union.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Ann- I was hoping you would reply because I wanted to find out if you knew anything at all about the State pension plan, specifically PERS which along with the teachers plan is the most underfunded. It seems to me many on this board have no real understanding on the plan but based on their anti-union feelings are quick to place blame and give credit where it does not belong.
So Ann what is your understanding of what role the union, specifically CWA had with the terms of the pension?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:15 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
NJ currently has a projected budget surplus of $913 million versus the current proposed budget for 2012. The money is largely coming from increased income tax revenue that will be realized in full by July 2012. Again, this is a projection, but they are pretty darn sure it will come true.

So, what should we do the money?

Both sides of the Legislature are currently looking at funding every pet project under the sun.

Some are advocating using the money for debt reduction.

Some want it invested in the pension fund.

Some are advocating that it should be used as credits to encourage job creation.

Others think the money should be returned to the citizens via rebate checks.

What do you think?
That's just about the amount of money needed to build a new Pulaski Skyway.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I am not in a union. The pension has nothing to do with the union.
Blame the media. Right now it's open season on all public employees, of which I am one (not a state employee), but almost all the hate and vitriol you read refers to unions. Only about half the employees are represented by unions.

I wonder what the percentage is of NJ state employees who are represented.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Even if it was 100% which it is not they would still not have been responsible for the pension issues. The pension existed before there were public sector unions and the pension formula is not subject to negotiation. It applies to all workers union and not.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM

292 posts, read 718,757 times
First off, Chris Christie has successfully turned around New Jersey's budget crisis without increasing taxes, proving to the public he is a reformer with a record of results.

As for the $912 million projected surplus, I say we do two things; we reduce taxes and start a rainy day fund. We need tax relief for property owner's, income, and business.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Blame the media. Right now it's open season on all public employees, of which I am one (not a state employee), but almost all the hate and vitriol you read refers to unions. Only about half the employees are represented by unions.

I wonder what the percentage is of NJ state employees who are represented.
In regards to the union bashing stuff a lot of this has to do with Christie. Honestly the guy really needs to relax with his union bashing because regular clowns are just running with whatever he says and making it much worse. Some of the stuff I see in online about cops is honestly just dumb naive and just wrong.
Its seems as if all that is wrong with the world is due to unions at least according to Christie. Any normal person understands that while the unions are to blame for some of the problem they are hardly 100% of it. Yet he never mentions any of the parties that are guilty in the problem.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Smartone- what did the Governor cut to turn around NJ 's budget crisis? State operating expenses are higher under his budget. That is the cost of operating the State government- what he cut was aid to towns and schools so in actuality the boards of educations and local mayors ultimately made the cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey