Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM

248 posts, read 535,348 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband may be getting a job in Toms River, NJ soon. Would like to know what towns within a 45 minute radius have good public schools, esp for kids with special needs. Also, why are people telling me not to drink the water in TR? What are the real facts about that? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
Hi, my husband may be getting a job in Toms River, NJ soon. Would like to know what towns within a 45 minute radius have good public schools, esp for kids with special needs. Also, why are people telling me not to drink the water in TR? What are the real facts about that? Thanks!
cause toms river water is literally poison!!!!!! any town along rte 9. By the way the 559 runs 24/7. Also even with that bus for all other needs u still need to drive as oceanride is utterly useless

Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
There have been some cancer clusters, believed to be related to the water that had been polluted. I would guess that it is probably fine now (but would check first!)

Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Google Ciba-Giegy. They had a plant there and polluted the ground and water. They were west of the parkway off of Rt.37

Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
The best schools that are closest to TR are Pt. Pleasant Boro and Pt. Pleasant Beach. They are separate districts and they are both good. Pt. Pleasant Beach is very small. I really don't know anything about their Special Ed. Depts.

TR schools are decent. A mom from my DD's soccer team has a son with Asperger's and goes to East Dover Elementary in TR. She LOVES the Special Ed team there. She also takes her son for therapy riding in Manchester which is right next to TR. I also think that Brick has a large population of autistic kids but I don't know much about their SpEd programs.

Depending on your budget, there are a lot of good schools in Monmouth County which tends to be pricier than TR, and it is a reverse commute from there so you might want to check into that.

As for the water in TR, timneh5 has provided lots of links to the topic. My personal views in those links.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 AM

96 posts, read 284,320 times
Check with the Child Sudy Team in the school district that you are considering living in first. Depending on your child's disability, there might be an appropriate program in that district or they may transport children, with the type of disability your child has, to another school district to receive the services they don't provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey