Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Granted, you HATED NJ and wanted out. But you would think that in 15 years you could have researched other job opportunities in your husband's field if life was so unbearable there. He apparently wasn't running the family business which tied him down there.

Let me play devil's advocate...if your husband's job required you to live in Detroit, or if he had to work full-time in NJ again down the road, what would you do then?

Cherie
It won't happen. We know that for sure.Sure, there were jobs but not with the security he has.

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Nope sorry, Jersey is DEFINITELY in your blood. At this point, I'm sure you will never convince anyone you don't like NJ as much as you say. The problem is that you've stayed in the NJ forums far too long. I think you perhaps you find Nashville, TN somewhat inadequate and you may be having trouble dealing with it. That's fine. Nashville is probably great, but someone who REALLY leaves and never looks back is not you, ma'am. You look back every single time you respond on this thread with the 'TN up Jersey down' mentality. You don't owe anyone reasons why you left, or justifications for it. I think you know that. I think the only person really trying to find that reason you left is yourself. And maybe you feel...that if you exploit everything negative about NJ, that maybe...just maybe, TN will feel all the better. In all honesty, I hope you succeed, because right now, it really seems as if you're missing something.
People like you are the reason I hate NJ. I also go on the Nashville Boards. Could you believe I found someone there from NJ? She thought the houses were to expensive in my area. I told her to go to the next town over since it was cheaper, I think she thought she could get a big house for $200,000, and you can, but not in my area.
I KNOW WHY I LEFT, NJ ALMOST KILLED BOTH OF US. Did you know there is something wrong with the water? Test it

Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
What makes you think I live in NJ at all? I said nothing of the sort in my post but I did grow up there. Most of the people I knew there were fairly upwardly mobile and if they did not have tons of options they created their own. I have a bias I will admit- I don't like the south and my experiences in that part of the world are pretty extensive. Nashville I have heard mostly good things about so I would not knock it. I have never lived there.

The reason I did not move to NC was because I did not care for it. Not because I had some love affair for NJ. When part of your family relocates to a different part of the U.S. there is sometimes pressure to follow. I had already lived several different places at that point in time and had quite a bit of perspective. The bubble mentality I speak of is very real and it is a big turnoff IMHO. The southern states are very different than NY/NJ but seem to be very popular now. Other than the $$ factor- I don't really grasp it. Not that the money factor is not huge. I am on my own and w/o kids you have totally different priorities.

Someone in their twenties should look at different options. I'm not talking about staying in NJ. Just talking about not considering places only because their cheap. It would have irritated me if my parent was acting like they had just moved to the center of the universe and nowhere else existed. But if you already have that kind of mindset-you will adapt easily in that part of the world as that mentality is omnipresent. I would love to have money for vacations but in no way would I trade in my current residence for NC just so I could afford to take one. There is no culture to speak of in NC and you might need to go overseas to get some if you lived there. At least that is something I have for free. I totally understand the financial pressures people face and I am not trying to goof on anyone but you are not a single 20 something and the world is not this narrow.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 PM

I don't buy the "it's in your blood thing" at all.

No one that I know of who is actually from there says that sort of thing.

TROLLS go home-some of you have never lived in NY or NJ. You are really reaching in some of these posts.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:15 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I don't buy the "it's in your blood thing" at all.

No one that I know of who is actually from there says that sort of thing.

TROLLS go home-some of you have never lived in NY or NJ. You are really reaching in some of these posts.
That's not entirely fair. I feel NJ is in my blood too...I can't say it's in everybody's blood but I don't think it's trollish to have that feeling.

This is the internet. The cure for cancer doesn't rest on this forum...relax a bit. It's all good, people are just offering their opinions and feelings.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 PM

Oh please. I have been around here long enough to know who the trolls are and the stuff they post is just a little off. Just rings false. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
People like you are the reason I hate NJ. I also go on the Nashville Boards. Could you believe I found someone there from NJ? She thought the houses were to expensive in my area. I told her to go to the next town over since it was cheaper, I think she thought she could get a big house for $200,000, and you can, but not in my area.
I KNOW WHY I LEFT, NJ ALMOST KILLED BOTH OF US. Did you know there is something wrong with the water? Test it
Don't take it personal, you have your views about TN & NJ and I have mine about TN & NJ. All it takes is a guy like me for you to hate this state huh? C'mon I know you can't be that sensitive. You don't owe me an explanation. You don't owe me anything but it still seems you're picking for a reason:...now the 'water's' bad.
You really can't expect to bash NJ without someone saying something(opinions are opinions afterall)
But when people reply to your responses you play victim

Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 AM

562 posts, read 2,614,865 times
lol... they can't afford living here.. so they move to the country and make fun of metro area.. to feel better about their move..

Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,674 times
This thread should have been removed or looked right from the beginning. It brought no information and was basicly a childish troll rant to begin with.

Let me get this straight......Someone can say (page one) "Welcome to NJ, the toxic waste will make you glow"......or call NJ a nightmare and thats OK....but if someone say's NJ is in your blood there a troll?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,424,418 times
Default It IS in my blood

I got quite a chuckle from some of the posts om this thread. Love it...STAY or GO BACK Hate it...leave or stay away. Simple as that.

I for one was born in NJ and I love that state. Well, what I have first hand knowledge of. I won't profess to know about central or northern Jersey. I am not from there. Do I hate those places? Nope, I have never lived there. I was born and raised in Cape May. LOVE IT! I moved from NJ 27 years ago because I married a Coastie. Do I want to go home? Hell yes! Will I? Working on it as I type.

I have lived in 10 states and each has something to offer. I can tell you horror stories about each one too. I have owned property in all but one state and that was Georgia. So I know about taxes and what you get or don't get for them.

Ya know what I come away with? You can be miserable or happy ANYWHERE!
You can find something to complain about anywhere. DO I complain? Yes I do but, I would never condem a place or a whole state based on my experiences.

My sisters still live in Cape May County. Their taxes are just a few hundred more than I pay here in Michigan for comparable real estate. Salaries are VERY low in the area of MI that I reside in. I am going to do something about my local SOON. I know that I will not be going south of the Mason Dixon Line again. I loved it there but, at his point in my life the south is not for me.

Sorry so long ...just my 2 cents.

remember...One man's junk is another man's treasure. DO NOT TAKE THAAT AWAY FROM THEM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey