U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM

587 posts, read 1,247,632 times

Advertisements

Skip NJ, and try applying in DE. School districts are expanding, new schools are opening, and teachers are getting jobs!

Lower property taxes, no sales tax, less crowds, less traffic, and you are still a reasonable drive to NJ and PA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM

23,803 posts, read 31,386,035 times
My sister has taught special ed in South Jersey for 35 years. Her youngest is in college & she intended to teach 4 more years. Because of what's going on, she will either retire this year or next. Many teachers have the same dilemma. It will cost them more, long term, to stay beyond their current contracts than it would be worth.

Some of the South Jersey districts no longer hire their own substitutes. They are contracting with an agency.

You might want to look at the Quaker schools.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,203,574 times
I'm not sure what the landscape is in NJ right now. It seems like some areas are hiring more than others. It's that way in PA also. Scranton school district has a huge line of applicants, but the more rural districts do not have as long of a line. I imagine that's generally true in most areas. DE could be an interesting option, but don't know much about it. My sister will be embarking on this search soon also.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 AM

83 posts, read 213,896 times
I don't know how this works, but in Princeton there are 3 elementary school teacher openings. I don't know if they are already filled and posting them for legal reasons, but they are there, and it's worth a shot!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM

2,796 posts, read 3,884,283 times
My little brother's AP US Gov't teacher was a classmate of mine. I wondered how in the hell he ever got a teaching position considering the fact that I remembered him being dumb as a pile of bricks. It turns out he was buddy buddy with the old superintendant and he more or less got streamlined into the position once an opening was available.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM

16,833 posts, read 16,196,183 times
The reason there are still listings is that even if someone internally is going to be placed into a position, all school job openings must be posted and three interviews conducted. I know people who have been told at the end of their interview "thank you for coming but we have someone in mind for this job".

Number of listing has nothing to do with likelihood of getting a position.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,203,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
My little brother's AP US Gov't teacher was a classmate of mine. I wondered how in the hell he ever got a teaching position considering the fact that I remembered him being dumb as a pile of bricks. It turns out he was buddy buddy with the old superintendant and he more or less got streamlined into the position once an opening was available.
he still needed to graduate with a degree with a certain requirement and pass a certification test. it's not incredibly difficult, but it's also not a walk in the park.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 PM

2,796 posts, read 3,884,283 times
Getting a degree in History/Education isn't all that hard. Getting a Social Sciences teaching position in suburban NJ is.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM

188 posts, read 391,260 times
My sister has her Masters in Special Ed and is considering going back for Math. She has been looking for an elementary school teaching job for a few years (has subbed and been long term sub for a few school districts), but has not been able to find anything. Some have told her that she is qualified, but the spot was already filled before the interviews. She is applying in the whole state, but still has not heard much.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

831 posts, read 2,681,816 times
Around 2009 it started to become impossible. Sorry.
I got out of the field at that exact time, changed my career because of an unrelated situation. Had no idea the teaching professional would change the way it has, but I thank my lucky stars i'm not out there dealing with that mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey